Can I just Grrrr! For a sec about planning our May trip

Kristamouse

We are new AP holders and a large family (we have 6 Dis-need kids.) We have 20+ trips under our belt and even the kids know their way around the parks and are quite knowledgeable about the parks.
I am planning our May trip as our 30 day window is open. At 5:00am there are so few FP's available. I know that the end of May is popular and I know I have a large group but seriously!?!?
God Bless the families that try and book FP's the day they are attending the parks. Espically at Epcot...
I will keep checking back and hubs will as well to snag some FP's we really want.
Sometimes I feel like Disney makes this so complicated for large families...
End rant

drizgirl

Unfortunately them's the breaks of this system. I think the whole thing stinks, but it is what it is.

I'd be grumbling too.

But remember, above all else, Disney is in the business of filling onsite rooms.

Upvote 0

CaptainAmerica

The reason you're having trouble is because you're trying to book Fastpasses for a party of 8. Fastpass availability isn't nearly as bad as you're implying. Try booking in two groups of four. You might not get the exact same windows but you should be able to get some overlap at least.

Unfortunately them's the breaks of this system. I think the whole thing stinks, but it is what it is.
No. Them's the breaks of having a large family. It's unfortunate, but a family of four or less can get same-day reservations for just about anything besides Frozen and Mine Train.

Upvote 0

KCheatle

I make my FP reservations online the night before. The window to make the reservations opens at 12AM EDT 60 days out (or 30 days out if you're staying off property). In Nebraska, that's 11PM for me, so I make them then. When you think about it, I'm sure the vast majority of people visiting the parks are staying on property, so you're already losing availability of FP by not being able to book until 30 days out. And, I get it, it's much cheaper to stay off property. But, this is one of the specific incentives WDW offers to have you stay on property. Are good FP selections worth $6K to you? I would expect not. But, you knew what you were giving up when you booked off property to save the money. In addition, if you aren't logging in until 5am, you are already several hours behind even the 30 day people who logged in at midnight EDT.

Upvote 0

Kristamouse

Original Poster
I make my FP reservations online the night before. The window to make the reservations opens at 12AM EDT 60 days out (or 30 days out if you're staying off property). In Nebraska, that's 11PM for me, so I make them then. When you think about it, I'm sure the vast majority of people visiting the parks are staying on property, so you're already losing availability of FP by not being able to book until 30 days out. And, I get it, it's much cheaper to stay off property. But, this is one of the specific incentives WDW offers to have you stay on property. Are good FP selections worth $6K to you? I would expect not. But, you knew what you were giving up when you booked off property to save the money. In addition, if you aren't logging in until 5am, you are already several hours behind even the 30 day people who logged in at midnight EDT.
I was under the impression from these boards that the majority of guests were in fact off property...
Can someone confirm or deny?
I don't think there is a room on property (Save the old Castle Suite) that is worth $6,000ish for 4 nights.

Upvote 0

Kristamouse

Original Poster
The reason you're having trouble is because you're trying to book Fastpasses for a party of 8. Fastpass availability isn't nearly as bad as you're implying. Try booking in two groups of four. You might not get the exact same windows but you should be able to get some overlap at least.

No. Them's the breaks of having a large family. It's unfortunate, but a family of four or less can get same-day reservations for just about anything besides Frozen and Mine Train.
I will try now with groups of four, thank you for the suggestion.

Upvote 0

Kristamouse

Original Poster
Called Disney directly and had very few options, most were two rooms. The rates jump out 2nd night, guessing it starts peak season. The web site wasn't give me any availability.
Edit!
I just recheck and got availability in a Villa for about $1000.00 a night...

Attachments

• IMG_3681.PNG
    IMG_3681.PNG
    300.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3681.PNG
    IMG_3681.PNG
    300.7 KB · Views: 33
Upvote 0

Kristamouse

Original Poster
I would imagine so. Were you able to find off-site accommodations for a family of eight in a single room?
Besides rental homes and condo I am looking at Bonnet Creek, Homewood Inn Suites and Embassy Suits as they all have a options for us...
Also since baby girl won't be 2 until later this summer we are looking for a space for 7...
Do you have other suggestions? Am open to them:)

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Called Disney directly and had very few options, most were two rooms. The rates jump out 2nd night, guessing it starts peak season. The web site wasn't give me any availability.
When booking parties that large your best option is 2 rooms and they have to be booked somewhat separately. If you just plug a party of 8 into the online system, all you are going to see are suites, grand villas and the like.

The lowest price will of course be 2 rooms at value resort and they go up from there.

The easiest way to book on your own will be to call vs online.

I would imagine so. Were you able to find off-site accommodations for a family of eight in a single room?
Vacation home rentals are often the most affordable off property options for parties that large.

Upvote 0

Kristamouse

Original Poster
When booking parties that large your best option is 2 rooms and they have to be booked somewhat separately. If you just plug a party of 8 into the online system, all you are going to see are suites, grand villas and the like.

The lowest price will of course be 2 rooms at value resort and they go up from there.

The easiest way to book on your own will be to call vs online.

Vacation home rentals are often the most affordable off property options for parties that large.
Yes, I know:) that is why I called because I have been told that booking online could give us a headache because the rooms would not adjoin.
The cast Member most recently spoke with wasn't real helpful with even finding adjoining rooms. I have been on these boards long enough to know that you were once a Disney Travel Agent. Are room assignments made months in advance? I was curious why adjoing rooms, according to him, were sparse or not available at all...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kristamouse

Original Poster
Before the 5th baby turned 3 we were quite happy in the family suites I believe we had 5 stays total in them. If we were allowed, occupancy wise, we would stay there again.
When the 4th was still an infant we stayed in PORS twice and with only 2-3 kids we have two excellent stays in the old garden wing rooms. They were the best with with short walk from MK:)
The rest of our Stays have been in All Stars, Pop and Corando Springs.
If memory serves we have had 22 on property stays and 2 off property in a rental home.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Yes, I know:) that is what I called because I have been told that booking online could give us a headache because the rooms would not adjoin.
The cast Member inmost recently spoke with wasn't real helpful with even finding adjoins room. I have been on the board long enough to know that you were once a Disney Travel Agent. Are room assignments made months in advance? I was curious why adjoing rooms, according to him, were sparse or not available at all...
Room assignments are done maybe a day in advance at best and can be modified when you arrive at Disney resorts. No clue how they do them off property.

When it comes to rooms you want to make sure you are using the correct terminology.

Adjoining rooms will typically be rooms that are next to each other, but may or may not have a connecting door. Some resorts will stretch the adjoining term to also include rooms that are across the hall from each other.

Connecting rooms are not only next to each other, but have a connecting door.

Adjoining rooms are pretty easy. Connecting rooms can be a bit of a challenge as not all rooms have a connecting door.

It has been a few years since I have been a TA so things may have changed, but I never had a problem getting at least adjoining rooms for a situation like yours.

Upvote 0

Kristamouse

Original Poster
Room assignments are done maybe a day in advance at best and can be modified when you arrive at Disney resorts. No clue how they do them off property.

When it comes to rooms you want to make sure you are using the correct terminology.

Adjoining rooms will typically be rooms that are next to each other, but may or may not have a connecting door. Some resorts will stretch the adjoining term to also include rooms that are across the hall from each other.

Connecting rooms are not only next to each other, but have a connecting door.

Adjoining rooms are pretty easy. Connecting rooms can be a bit of a challenge as not all rooms have a connecting door.

It has been a few years since I have been a TA so things may have changed, but I never had a problem getting at least adjoining rooms for a situation like yours.
Yes, you are correct. We need connecting rooms and that is what the CM was having trouble locating...
The availability really goes that quick???

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom