Can I get CASH!

bigandy

Hi all !!
Although I will have the usual travellers cheques, dollars etc. is it possible to use my bank card in a USA hole in the wall machine and recieve money from my UK account. (Just in case!).

Camelot

I would recommend asking the bank where your UK account is, if you can use your BanK Card in the USA, and if so, to give you specific locations, in or around WDW.

Upvote 0

MarknSue

dosh

hi big andy, you can use you uk cash card, it#s just the smae as in the uk - we were charged £1.50 each time, so it's best to get a large amount out at once rather than be charged that every time
Have a great time!

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
My daughter used her ATM card when she was in Spain last year...sometimes it worked, sometimes not. But she was in some small villages; it worked better in the cities. I would think the ones at WDW would work well.

Upvote 0

bigandy

Original Poster
cash

Thanks MarkandSue,
Glad of any advice given as never been to USA before. By the way how do you get your picture on as I just found this site yesterday. Thanks:veryconfu

Upvote 0

Susanne

Originally posted by bigandy
Hi all !!
Although I will have the usual travellers cheques, dollars etc. is it possible to use my bank card in a USA hole in the wall machine and recieve money from my UK account. (Just in case!).

You can use most UK bank debit cards and credit cards in ATMs the US - just make sure you have a PIN number. You can also use a Visa card to draw cash over the counter in a bank - we have used both methods successfully. Just make sure you ask about the charges you can incur - they can be penal. You will usually pay a handling charge and, if it is a credit card, interest from the date of withdrawal.

The best deal we have found in the UK is the Nationwide Visa card. They don't charge interest unless you don't pay the balance by the due date. Handling charge is 1.5% - a bit more than travellers cheques, but there is no minimum. In fact we have found it to be so good, we don't bother to take cash or cheques with us. We usually have some cash left from the last trip and then either draw cash at the first machine we see or charge everything to Visa. They don't charge a premium for using the card abroad which some do. And the exchange rate is one of the best I have found - better than cash or cheques.

End of Advert!

Upvote 0

Worldphile

Re: cash

Originally posted by bigandy
Thanks MarkandSue,
Glad of any advice given as never been to USA before. By the way how do you get your picture on as I just found this site yesterday. Thanks:veryconfu

I'm from the US, but my advice to you is that left turns while driving are way more dangerous than you are used to. :)

I was able to use my bank ATM card in Ireland last year. So, I would think that the converse would be true. I found this to be the best way to get Irish pounds, since the conversion rate was that day's bank rate which is usually cheaper than the money changers or banks (e.g. if the bank rate was USD $1.18 I would get that conversion rate whereas the banks or money changers would give a rate of ~$1.23 and then charge a 3-5 pound fee.) The ATM was much less, and the exchange rate was better.

Upvote 0

Beauty and the

Andy, you can use your cash point card easily in WDW, there is an ATM in all of the parks (Not sure about thhe water parks), in most of the Disney Hotels(all the ones I've been to) and at Down Town Disney.
You can also use debit/switch cards, I have a connect with Barclays, not sure what other banks call them. I found this to be one of the best options as the money was taken directly from my account without a service charge. I used it every where we went in WDW and in the Orlando region without any problems. The last time we went we used this method the most.

Upvote 0

markymark

Originally posted by Beauty and the
Andy, you can use your cash point card easily in WDW, there is an ATM in all of the parks (Not sure about thhe water parks), in most of the Disney Hotels(all the ones I've been to) and at Down Town Disney.
You can also use debit/switch cards, I have a connect with Barclays, not sure what other banks call them. I found this to be one of the best options as the money was taken directly from my account without a service charge. I used it every where we went in WDW and in the Orlando region without any problems. The last time we went we used this method the most.

Thats right, my wife also uses her "connect" card from Barclays as it has the visa logo on it. Plus if you have a switch card, you will be able to find a cash machine that displays the "cirrus" logo.

You have been advised NOT to take sterling haven't you?

Upvote 0

markymark

Originally posted by Beauty and the

I'm sure Pam and I would get on very well, sheknow s how to spend your money every way in the USA

Way to Go Pam:sohappy: :sohappy:

....erm yeah.. she's great isn't she! :brick:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom