Can I Come Back to the Parks?

Chicken Guy

Original Poster
About a year ago, I hit my last straw for Disney. Genie+ was the breaking point on top of rising prices, lower quality, destruction of legacy attractions, the IP invasion, complete disregard for the integrity of the brand and its meaning... I had enough. I boycotted Disney parks and products, and I stopped following the news. I felt that all it brought me was despair, and I didn't need that in my life anymore. I guess you could say I spent the past year 'de-Disneying" myself after a lifetime of being a park-goer and fan. And then I see the news. No more Chapek. At first I was thinking, "Hey, that's good. Too little too late, though." And then I came home to find my Mother watching Mickey Views News on the TV (I love Mickey Views; he was one of the only news channels I watched until my boycott, Mom must have discovered him during my leave X)). Hearing his enthusiasm as well as learning more about the situation, I realized: This is the first positive thing to happen to the Disney company in years. Furthermore, this is the first time the parks division has been freed from the authority of Chapek for at least 7 years. Things are actually looking up for once, which is unheard of to me. I felt a tinge of excitement, which turned into hope. Could now be the time to return? Or at least start following the news again?

This question is especially present in my mind as of late because my family is going on our first annual Christmas vacation to Disney since COVID started (my last visit was Summer of 2019), and this whole year I've had the mindset that I wouldn't step foot into the parks. In fact, I asked them if we could go to universal as a consolation if I'm to go down at all (while Universal does many of the same things as Disney, it doesn't bother me as much because they were always how they are; their parks at present aren't built upon a broken legacy). The most I planned on doing at Disney was going to Disney Springs and eating at some third-party operated restaurants (Chicken Guy!, obviously). But now I'm not so sure of myself. I've often had dreams about going back to Disney and enjoying myself while I'm there. In them I would think, "How could I stay away? This is still the place I know." And then I would wake up, remember the state of things, and the feeling would be gone. I'd love to go down again, munch on a PB&J by Aunt Polly's, ride Tower of Terror, and take a boat ride around the Seven Seas Lagoon... but I'm just not sure. Genie+ is still running amok. The taco barges are still poisoning World Showcase Lagoon. Prices are still outrageous, and a DVC tower is still going up at the Polynesian. I'm wholly and truly torn between staying with or abandoning my boycott. How should I proceed?

mergatroid

This question is especially present in my mind as of late because my family is going on our first annual Christmas vacation to Disney since COVID started (my last visit was Summer of 2019), and this whole year I've had the mindset that I wouldn't step foot into the parks. In fact, I asked them if we could go to universal as a consolation if I'm to go down at all (while Universal does many of the same things as Disney, it doesn't bother me as much because they were always how they are; their parks at present aren't built upon a broken legacy). The most I planned on doing at Disney was going to Disney Springs and eating at some third-party operated restaurants (Chicken Guy!, obviously). But now I'm not so sure of myself. I've often had dreams about going back to Disney and enjoying myself while I'm there. In them I would think, "How could I stay away? This is still the place I know." And then I would wake up, remember the state of things, and the feeling would be gone. I'd love to go down again, munch on a PB&J by Aunt Polly's, ride Tower of Terror, and take a boat ride around the Seven Seas Lagoon... but I'm just not sure. Genie+ is still running amok. The taco barges are still poisoning World Showcase Lagoon. Prices are still outrageous, and a DVC tower is still going up at the Polynesian. I'm wholly and truly torn between staying with or abandoning my boycott. How should I proceed?
Well if those things stopped you going then I'm not sure why you'd want to return until they'd changed? A boycott is such a personal thing that it should be down to the individual. If you're boycotting to make a statement and you feel nothing's changed, it's not much of a boycott if you return without those changes.

If you feel the desire to return (which this thread hints at, otherwise why ask the question), then I'd ask myself why I stopped going? If you didn't think it was any longer value for your money, what's changed at Disney to make you think it is now? If your 'boycott' was more to deny Disney your money to teach them a lesson, then it's a failed 'boycott' if you return and give them your cash.

We for instance hate Genie+ and when we visited for 2 weeks earlier this year, we refused to pay for it and managed just fine without. We still love visiting the parks despite the cut backs etc and so don't feel the need to boycott them. We've decided not to pay for Genie+ on principal and can do that without denying ourselves the pleasure we get from visiting the parks. We're still giving Disney our money for entering the parks, just not giving them extra to ride what we feel we've already paid for.

So you'd have to ask yourself why don't you go anymore and then ask yourself why then should you return? It's a personal thing as the answers will be specific to yourself. I'm sure there'll be those saying don't return with valid reasons why not to, just as there'll be those telling you the opposite again with valid arguments. Don't be shamed into your decision as you only have to justify it to yourself, just search deep within and make the call. If you return then great and I hope you enjoy just as I still do. If you don't return on principal, then well done for standing your ground and respect.

Last edited:

eliza61nyc

First, let me say my family and I still adore Disney and we still have fabulous vacations. I find that people here really don't want to hear that.

Let me ask you, what do you hope to achieve by boycotting (lol my parents were civil rights leaders so they always made us answer that question).
Are you hoping the company will change it's evil ways? are you not enjoying your vacations? are you still enjoying them but it's becoming cost prohibitive??

what changes are deal breakers for you? Like @mergatroid we went down for a quick long weekend in October, we didn't do genie plus and managed to ride quite a lot. now I will say we are veterans so we know exactly what we like. a lot of the complaints here I have never encountered. I don't stay glued to my phone, lol well more than normal and planning was not horrific. Yes the prices were absolutely crazy but unfortunately I live on the "high as hell" northeast, paying 4-5 dollars for a bottle of soda is my every day experience.

again, only you can decide whether you should go, I would probably say no. I find that the attitude you go in plays a big part in the success of a vacation. you have already decided it's not worth the cost.

JIMINYCR

If you boycotted for what you believe are valid reasons then don’t go back until those things are changed. Everyone is in heaven that Chapek was dumped and are expecting Iger to fix all the things they dislike. This may be what they are hoping for but I don’t think they are going to see drastic changes. Iger is simply a more likable Chapek. He’s still a money guy whose not out for the guests best interest. He had a better rapport with the CM’s which is positive.
Uni still is a good place to go and maybe you could do a combo of the two to get in your thrills and entertainment. If only visiting Dis one day at your fav park just to start getting back it’s a start . I wouldn’t jump right back in with a full Dis vacation until you can see a return for what you see will make it enjoyable for you again.

ArmoredRodent

I'm wholly and truly torn between staying with or abandoning my boycott. How should I proceed?
As others have said, only you can (or should) make that decision. I will say that I was pretty much in your camp when you decided to boycott, and cancelled a fully-planned trip. I, like you, am still "torn." But now I'm planning a trip for next year. At first it was a "ding dong, the witch is dead" impulse, but that passed quickly. Then the reality was forced by the startlingly-burdensome planning required in the new system. Which, by itself, would be telling you something important: what factors do I need more information about to make a decision? In my case, I'm scoping out options, seeing available dates, trying to figure out the new daily-adjusted pricing, and so on.

This is not "kicking the can down the road;" this is gathering more information at a time when you are still "torn." You already know that much, so asking others is probably just confirming your instincts. It's unlikely that your internal dialogue will be well-informed without seeing that additional information. At some point, you will have enough information and time to make your decision. And that, in fact, is pretty much what people are saying by telling you "only you can make that decision."

By next spring, you will have some evidence of how things will be going. So will I and others. According to recent media reports, Bob 1 will have some cuts to make and some things to do that will not be pleasant. If your concerns are solely on the parks by then, your decision path may be easier. If the new decisions are not what you wanted to see, then your decision path may also be easier.

Last edited:

crawale

About a year ago, I hit my last straw for Disney. Genie+ was the breaking point on top of rising prices, lower quality, destruction of legacy attractions, the IP invasion, complete disregard for the integrity of the brand and its meaning... I had enough. I boycotted Disney parks and products, and I stopped following the news. I felt that all it brought me was despair, and I didn't need that in my life anymore. I guess you could say I spent the past year 'de-Disneying" myself after a lifetime of being a park-goer and fan. And then I see the news. No more Chapek. At first I was thinking, "Hey, that's good. Too little too late, though." And then I came home to find my Mother watching Mickey Views News on the TV (I love Mickey Views; he was one of the only news channels I watched until my boycott, Mom must have discovered him during my leave X)). Hearing his enthusiasm as well as learning more about the situation, I realized: This is the first positive thing to happen to the Disney company in years. Furthermore, this is the first time the parks division has been freed from the authority of Chapek for at least 7 years. Things are actually looking up for once, which is unheard of to me. I felt a tinge of excitement, which turned into hope. Could now be the time to return? Or at least start following the news again?

It was under Iger that the march to 'woke' started. Out of the frying pan into the fire!

dreday3

Just reading your post, it doesn't sound like you will have a good time.

I would only say, if you haven't experienced for yourself all the things you are nervous/worried about, but have only read other's opinions, I would try for yourself.
Your experience may not be the same as others.

ppete1975

I wouldnt return, as none of that has changed. And December is going to be super packed which isnt going to help you. The caveat is if your family is going, will you miss being with them and making memories. That would be my decider. Do I dislike Disney more than I want to spend time with my family.. regardless of where they go.

Sir_Cliff

If you're weighing the existential dread of having to return to Disney World after you swore it off, you're in a good spot in life.
Yes. Of course you shouldn't go if you won't enjoy it, but maybe it's time to talk to someone about the intensity of these feelings swinging between nostalgic dreams and existential dread of visiting Walt Disney World.

thomas998

Just go to Universal. WDW hasn't changed but you will probably find Universal to be more enjoyable at this point.

Inspired Figment

The question isn’t can, but rather ‘should’. You absolutely can if you’d like, but If you feel the experience has downgraded massively & feel it isn’t worth the value anymore. I’d say no, and wait atleast a couple-few years or until news comes out about the improvements you’re looking for

Goofyernmost

With me the park reservations along with the never ending "extra's" that used to be part of admission was the deal breaker. I was even willing to see a pay for FP's that was high enough to limit on it's own the over usage but not the way it is now. I didn't care about the bus from the airport because I either rented a car or drove my own to the place. They can charge $1000.00 per minute to stay in one of the resorts without it bothering me because I refuse to be charged that much for a place to sleep and have been offsite for close to 40 years now with one exception, but never again. So not all that much changed for me, but I do know that Universal was my primary resort for a few years now. I didn't even have to pay for their FP because enough others did that actually sped up the standby line.

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

There is a solid chance all of the things that bother you are never going away... so the question isn’t specifically about this trip but whether or not you’re willing to give up Disney parks for life.

If the answer to that is no there’s no difference between ending the boycott now vs ending it in a year, or 5 years, or 10 years?

If the last few years have taught us anything it’s that life’s too short to deny yourself quality time with friends and family, we hate the changes too but we’ve done several DL trips with friends and 2 WDW trips with my brothers family in 2020 and 2021 and I wouldn’t give up those memories for anything, personally I’d go and make memories.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom