Can Disney legends have their title taken away?

Vegas Disney Fan

Original Poster
Whoopi made some more controversial comments today and it got me wondering, has a Disney legend ever had their title taken away?

Ignoring what she said, because it’ll get this thread locked, I’m just curious if it’s ever happened before and if not how far would a legend have to go for Disney to remove their title to distance themselves from their controversy?

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

Original Poster
Michael Jackson with his drama has handprints in front of DHS formerly Great Movie Ride. Never was removed. Johnny Depp and Robert Downey Jr with their drama did not have their Disney Legend titles taken away.

Johnny Depp is a great example I hadn’t thought of, I wonder how things would have gone if he’d lost the case.

Robbiem

I don’t think he was a legend but you are correct, his statue was removed from the HS hall of fame within days of his accusations.

I think the studios bust was from the Emmy hall of fame, not Disney legend but saying that a disney legend tribute would be a good fit for the studios

Comped

Whoopi made some more controversial comments today and it got me wondering, has a Disney legend ever had their title taken away?

Ignoring what she said, because it’ll get this thread locked, I’m just curious if it’s ever happened before and if not how far would a legend have to go for Disney to remove their title to distance themselves from their controversy?
As far as I was told, by a Disney Legend and another who deserved to be, there's no mechanism officially to take the title away. Might be more of a snap decision than something that's written down though.

Robbiem

If there isn’t a way to take it away Disney can change its own rules so it can or they could remove all mentions of a troublesome person being a legend and hoping that people forget

Another question - can people give up their status if they choose, for example like Tom Cruise and his golden globes?

Robbiem

In theory, although I don't know who would do so or why they'd do so.
I can't think of anyone but there is always the possibility someone objects to something like business interests in China or third world labour making Disney products and makes a statement by handing back

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom