1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Can anyone help me identify where these scenery concept art prints come from?

Discussion in 'Disney Merchandise, Pin Trading & Collectibles' started by Wheeljack, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Wheeljack

Wheeljack New Member

Hello!
    I already posted this on another site, but no help. :( I just want some answers.

Yesterday at the thrift store I found a roll of folded paper with two rubber bands around it. A card was shoved in it saying something like "2 childrens posters $1." Seeing the corner of what looked like cityscape, I was intrigued. My sister and I found an empty isle and unrolled them. What was unveiled was pictures of what I was pretty sure was San Fran Sokyo.

Long story short we got them.

First thing first I know one is Big Hero 6 and the other is Monsters University. We noticed when we got home there is a (c) Disney in the corner of one and (c) Disney/Pixar the other. They are super glossy, they're folded :(, and my sister says the Monsters University one is a little bit larger. Other than that it's just the images.

I cannot find them online, not even the art. I'm pretty sure there real prints of the art, not sure if they're official though. Can anyone help me where they're from?

As for now I'm going to try to find a way to safely remove some if possible all the creases, and add frames.

Thanks,
    -Liz

Attached Files:

2. Wheeljack

Wheeljack New Member Original Poster

Wow. Really?? Nobody knows a thing about these. I can't even find similar images on the web...

3. Sped2424

Sped2424 Well-Known Member

It's possible you have printed copies of random concept art could be from The art of Big hero 6 and monsters U book or just random concept art found and printed on a poster.

4. Gelatoni

Gelatoni Well-Known Member

Don't think it's big hero thats not a pixar film

5. Wheeljack

Only the monsters one had a Pixar (c)

I'm certain I have the film's right. :b
    -Liz

6. Figments Friend

Figments Friend Well-Known Member

Two things I find interesting -

1. - These are large sized posters/prints...and very glossy.
    Is the paper they are printed on thick..or thin?

2. - The fact that these are all reproductions of the original background artwork used for certain scenes within these two films.
    Most art prints / posters sold that are meant for the general public usually contain characters or other defining central focus images.
    These being just the scene settings makes me think these were issued for people who respect art, or can appreciate these whimsical settings sans some type of overly obvious 'Disney' element.
    Art for arts sake.

Based on just those two observances, I would say these may have come from two places :
    These may have been released for sale to employees of Pixar and / or Disney and bought through one of the employee only stores.

The other possibility is that these could have been sold through The Disney Gallery.
    This is a shop in WDW and Disneyland that sells custom printed reproductions of various Disney related artwork, including backgrounds from various animated features.

-

Wheeljack and Gelatoni like this.
  7. Wheeljack

Interesting indeed!
    Both are thick paper. Akin to poster board or something of that nature. There is nothing else on them accept for what I posted. :)

I appreciate the info. :)

Thank you
    -Liz

Figments Friend likes this.
  8. Figments Friend

Figments Friend Well-Known Member

Ah..thick paper then.
    Well , these definitely seem to me to be some Disney Gallery custom printed offerings or Studio employee-only prints.

Based on just the images, and now knowing they were printed on thick cardstock paper, it would be my guess.

-

Wheeljack likes this.
  9. Wheeljack

Ah, wow thanks. You were very helpful! :)

Also, sorry for the late reply, my phone has been out for awhile.

Thank you again!
    -Liz