Can a post 2016 resale buyer get TIW

nickys

Premium Member
Are there some finite number of perks? Like DVC can only offer small discounts on Tables in Wonderland to x number of people or else the whole operation falls apart?

I just don’t like the segregation. It’s dopey and petty and quite frankly it’s a little bit of a dirty tactic by DVC to sell the insanely priced new points. The perks aren’t even close to worth the price difference between resale and direct, but they engage in a little bit of deceptive mind games.

Oh well, despite being an “owner” my opinion means less then nothing.

When they run Moonlight Magic, DVC have to pay WDO for the exclusive use of the park. The discounts I’m not sure about.

DVC are not responsible for the difference in price. They set the price based on what the market will bear. The fact that owners can get a reasonable return if they sell is neither here nor there in terms of that price. It benefits DVC that there is a resale market, but only in so far as it’s a “safety cushion” that most timeshares don’t have. Which makes it more attractive compared to those other timeshares.

I genuinely don’t understand the argument that by restricting perks to resale buyers DVC are inflating the price of direct points. They obviously want people to buy from them direct. The perks encourage people to buy direct, despite the warnings given by DVC and their sales team not to buy for the benefits. That much I get.

But how does the lack of benefits to resale buyers help them sell points at a higher price? People still have the choice as to whether the perks are worth the higher price. And in buying Riviera, people need to consider the extra restrictions for resale buyers and the impact that will have on their own plans for the future. Perhaps the perks at Riviera are lessened by the possible effect on the value of the points on the resale market? So that’s an extra factor to consider when deciding whether to buy there or elsewhere, or indeed resale.

But here’s the crunch - no one buys (or should buy) actively planning to recoup their costs by selling later. Only a speculator would do that, and if they gamble on it and lose I’m not going to lose any sleep over it.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
But here’s the crunch - no one buys (or should buy) actively planning to recoup their costs by selling later. Only a speculator would do that, and if they gamble on it and lose I’m not going to lose any sleep over it.
And I always tell anyone that asks about buying in that the one and ONLY reason to buy is to save money on resort reservations. Nothing else, period, should go into the decision to buy. It is NOT an investment that is designed to make money.

MagicRat

Back to the TiW card. I took my mom and family to Citricos on Saturday. She has the card and was in attendance. The whole family is staying under my name in a DVC room account. The magic bands all charge back to my credit card that the charges will be divided up later. I just wanted to pay for it on my credit card and was told only the card holder of TiW could only pay. I stated that the bands were under my account and he said that was different. The waiter was great so I didn’t want to make any issues so I gave him my DVC card and used my CC. He was confused that I wouldn’t take the extra discount. I told him this is how I wanted to pay.

Just confusing that someone else at the table can’t pick up the check.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Back to the TiW card. I took my mom and family to Citricos on Saturday. She has the card and was in attendance. The whole family is staying under my name in a DVC room account. The magic bands all charge back to my credit card that the charges will be divided up later. I just wanted to pay for it on my credit card and was told only the card holder of TiW could only pay. I stated that the bands were under my account and he said that was different. The waiter was great so I didn’t want to make any issues so I gave him my DVC card and used my CC. He was confused that I wouldn’t take the extra discount. I told him this is how I wanted to pay.

Just confusing that someone else at the table can’t pick up the check.

That’s always been the rules. Makes sure that the TiW member doesn’t share the card benefits with others who haven’t paid for them.

I don’t necessarily disagree that as long as the TiW member is present someone else should be able to pay, but totally understand them being strict on that rule.

MagicRat

That’s always been the rules. Makes sure that the TiW member doesn’t share the card benefits with others who haven’t paid for them.

I don’t necessarily disagree that as long as the TiW member is present someone else should be able to pay, but totally understand them being strict on that rule.

It worked out, I don’t believe in discussing issues with people on the bottom rung. He was doing his job. As a matter of protocol I do not argue with the staff. I discussed with the front desk and they agreed too. I received the full discount.

Last edited:

Phonedave

Are there some finite number of perks? Like DVC can only offer small discounts on Tables in Wonderland to x number of people or else the whole operation falls apart?

I just don’t like the segregation. It’s dopey and petty and quite frankly it’s a little bit of a dirty tactic by DVC to sell the insanely priced new points. The perks aren’t even close to worth the price difference between resale and direct, but they engage in a little bit of deceptive mind games.

Oh well, despite being an “owner” my opinion means less then nothing.

While there are not a limited number of perks per se, they do cost the bottom line of DVC.

Owners dues cover the running of the resort - front desk, housekeeping, capital investments, landscaping, the cost of bus service, etc etc.

Due are not used for perks - Things like Moonlight Magic, Discounts, Member Lounges, etc all come out of the bottom line of DVC. DVC pays other WDW departments to provide these perks.

I assume that discounts on dining are based on some formula that estimates the potential cost to food and beverage: So many eligible users x certain expected dollar amount. If you lower your base of users, then you lower your expected cost. Same thing applies to merch discounts.

Indy_UK

Am i right to assume that TiW still isnt an issue to buy for resale owners? Looks like an easy choice for $100 when its essentially going to to cover all the tips.

When dinning plan was around, could they be used together?

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Am i right to assume that TiW still isnt an issue to buy for resale owners? Looks like an easy choice for $100 when its essentially going to to cover all the tips.

When dinning plan was around, could they be used together?
Technically, when the TiW becomes available, it is only supposed to be for blue card holders. We have heard that if you buy over the phone, and sometimes in person, the CMs don't ask and will sell it to you anyway. They aren't supposed to, but it's entirely possible that the don't know the rules, and when people show the white DVC card, they figure that they can sell to them.

You could never combine dining plans. The dining plans are one of the biggest mistakes that Disney has ever made. Because they didn't exclude the higher priced items from the plan (such as steaks or lobster), restaurants had to jack up the prices in order for the dining plan to look like a good deal. If they had done it right, and made the top level items an upcharge, we could still have more reasonable prices for food. At least with the TiW, the 20% off makes it a lot better, and we've always bought it when we could. Hoping that they will start selling it again soon.

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
Technically, when the TiW becomes available, it is only supposed to be for blue card holders. We have heard that if you buy over the phone, and sometimes in person, the CMs don't ask and will sell it to you anyway. They aren't supposed to, but it's entirely possible that the don't know the rules, and when people show the white DVC card, they figure that they can sell to them.

You could never combine dining plans. The dining plans are one of the biggest mistakes that Disney has ever made. Because they didn't exclude the higher priced items from the plan (such as steaks or lobster), restaurants had to jack up the prices in order for the dining plan to look like a good deal. If they had done it right, and made the top level items an upcharge, we could still have more reasonable prices for food. At least with the TiW, the 20% off makes it a lot better, and we've always bought it when we could. Hoping that they will start selling it again soon.
If Disney can make more money with it or without it will determine if it will be back. I feel that they will look at the slow down in operations due to Covid as an opportunity to put a reset on how many operations work, and rid themselves of programs that they felt stymied the maximum profits that can be extracted from the guest(goodbye Disney Express). If TIW helps with profits, it stays if not it goes

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
If Disney can make more money with it or without it will determine if it will be back. I feel that they will look at the slow down in operations due to Covid as an opportunity to put a reset on how many operations work, and rid themselves of programs that they felt stymied the maximum profits that can be extracted from the guest(goodbye Disney Express). If TIW helps with profits, it stays if not it goes
Well, technically, lots of programs lessen their profits. Annual passes are a big one, as they are now charging full price for anyone not with an AP to go. The problem is that if they never offer them again, how many people will simply stop going? For WDW, there are a LOT of people (ourselves included) that are out of state AP holders. We're lucky that we can also purchase the Military tickets, but most people cannot. Being DVC, we typically make 2-3 trips every year and spend a lot of money. If we can't buy APs again, we will spend less to make up the difference. The same goes for the TiW. We prefer the TS restaurants, though without the TiW, we spend less and maybe just split a few appetizers instead of getting 2 full meals like we would normally. This means that Disney is not making anywhere near the same amount of money from us as they would if we could buy both APs and the TiW. Since it hasn't even been a year, I don't see how they can possibly gauge how much might be lost if they discontinue some of these programs.

Indy_UK

On paper, the dining plan did appeal to me but I think until you do a vacation with DDP and one without to compare, it’s hard to know for sure.

TiW seems like low cost for decent savings if you can get hold of it.

My husband is in love with the idea of dinning plan but I’m far less convinced.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom