Can a post 2016 resale buyer get TIW

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
I'm not sure where we are getting off on the wrong foot, so I'll start again.

I said in my first post, no you aren't supposed to get it, but calling has better results. Just technically it isn't allowable due to it being a dining discount. Really there is nothing more to it for me than that.

We got into a discussion then on the technicalities of it all really. Again, go for it as I said more than once, but just don't be shocked if they say no.

I am not sure why you think I look on resale buyers as lesser people. I'm one of them. If we do it again, I'll likely buy resale so we can do more cabin stays. I'm really an easy going person about things like that. I live in a place where people do judge for what you have or don't, and well, I think it's crappy.

So I say kudos to you for saving by buying resale. While I did do a direct purchase and my resale were already grandfathered in, the bulk of my points are resale because it's smart buying. I mean really smart buying. Only small contracts or new resorts are often not a bad deal direct (mine were all small and new resorts with cash payments so no extra fees at the time). I suggest to any friend who goes to consider resale too. So I think it's great and no, I don't love what Disney did with the market.

I like to save money or get my value (fortunately my directs purchases still balance out to a low cost per point average thanks to my resale).

I think if you did want to try to buy, you have to do it on the phone. In person is more likely to have an issue. So again I'm not sure where I went wrong, but maybe being technical (which I do often as I have an IT background) threw you and a couple others off. It truly wasn't meant in a mean way at all.

So olive branch?
Thanks branch taken and sorry if I am too defensive. You are just providing your view and you have every right. And you provided valuable info to anyone, it's not a perk that one should expect, but others information and experiences are not to be discounted either.
I have gotten on quite a high horse myself with people that don't tip housekeepers or waiters so I get trying to defend what you think is wrong behavior. Most of us are decent people posting and I don't think any trolls got into this thread.
Edit: And truly I am sorry if I was offensive to anyone, none of this is losing friendships over, peace and love and Ringo says

Last edited:

correcaminos

Thanks branch taken and sorry if I am too defensive. You are just providing your view and you have every right. And you provided valuable info to anyone, it's not a perk that one should expect, but others information and experiences are not to be discounted either.
I have gotten on quite a high horse myself with people that don't tip housekeepers or waiters so I get trying to defend what you think is wrong behavior. Most of us are decent people posting and I don't think any trolls got into this thread.
Edit: And truly I am sorry if I was offensive to anyone, none of this is losing friendships over, peace and love and Ringo says

Glad we're cool now. I honestly don't care what others do really. I don't get TIW because it's not a value to me any longer. When it was the DDE and sub $100 even before I had DVC, I had it. Do I think it's silly that they don't extend it to all DVC? Yep. I'm sure they have reasons. I just smile and don't question it - I'm a 'good girl' like that :D

Sometimes text does get hard and we read things wrong. I think we can chalk it up to that :)

If a person who has ONLY bought resale after the latest restrictions buys one over the phone, they are committing fraud. Of course, no one seems to care about rules anymore, only what they can get away with. Sad commentary on the way our country is heading.
Even more sad that Disney restricts resale buyers.

I said in my first post, no you aren't supposed to get it, but calling has better results. Just technically it isn't allowable due to it being a dining discount. Really there is nothing more to it for me than that.
But it's not a dining discount. It is a membership that "provides" a discount but is not in and of itself the discount. Therefore the blue card rules do not apply.

Purchase a Membership
Find out how you can become a Tables in Wonderland member!

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
They are simply giving out additional perks for those of us that have bought direct. As any business will, you give your best perks and all to your best customers. Amazon is another example. Pay for Amazon Prime, and you get the perks of free shipping, movies, and deals that non prime members can't get. Hotels, rental cars, and many others give out perks to those that join their programs. You can save money with a low end budget car rental company, or pay more for Hertz or Avis, and get perks after so many rentals. Disney is no different. Buy from us, and you get the discounts and other perks, such as the Moonlight Magic and discounts on APs (and other things).

You only have to buy 75 points direct to get the blue card with all of the extras, if they are really that important to you. People have crunched the numbers, and you would have to buy an awful lot of APs every year to make up the difference in price. We have been to the Moonlight Magic a few times, and it was OK. One and done for us for each park. So it really is a personal choice to say that I would really like the extra perks, and fork over the money to buy direct.

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
They are simply giving out additional perks for those of us that have bought direct. As any business will, you give your best perks and all to your best customers. Amazon is another example. Pay for Amazon Prime, and you get the perks of free shipping, movies, and deals that non prime members can't get. Hotels, rental cars, and many others give out perks to those that join their programs. You can save money with a low end budget car rental company, or pay more for Hertz or Avis, and get perks after so many rentals. Disney is no different. Buy from us, and you get the discounts and other perks, such as the Moonlight Magic and discounts on APs (and other things).

You only have to buy 75 points direct to get the blue card with all of the extras, if they are really that important to you. People have crunched the numbers, and you would have to buy an awful lot of APs every year to make up the difference in price. We have been to the Moonlight Magic a few times, and it was OK. One and done for us for each park. So it really is a personal choice to say that I would really like the extra perks, and fork over the money to buy direct.
It is a little different than prime. The goods you buy from Amazon are not owned by Amazon. They are the responsibly of the reseller and above that the manufacturer. Actually it would be like buying a new Apple IPhone from Amazon but Apple wont allow you download certain music since you didn't buy direct from an Apple Store. The product is the time share and Disney putting more and more restrictions just reeks of greed. I don't really care that much about most of them but the latest one limiting properties for resale of Riviera is pretty egregious.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
The product is the time share and Disney putting more and more restrictions just reeks of greed. I don't really care that much about most of them but the latest one limiting properties for resale of Riviera is pretty egregious.
Actually, the reason to restrict resales at Riviera to only book at Riviera is due to current owner feedback. Too many owners are complaining that they used to be able to book at 7 months, and are now having a hard time doing so. Disney's answer is to not add thousands of resale owners at Riviera (in the future of course) to an already overcrowded 7 month window for current owners. I completely agree with their choice to do this, and have a feeling that it will be the standard for any future DVC resort as well. How can you state that it is greed on their part, as they have zero profit in resale contracts at all?

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
Actually, the reason to restrict resales at Riviera to only book at Riviera is due to current owner feedback. Too many owners are complaining that they used to be able to book at 7 months, and are now having a hard time doing so. Disney's answer is to not add thousands of resale owners at Riviera (in the future of course) to an already overcrowded 7 month window for current owners. I completely agree with their choice to do this, and have a feeling that it will be the standard for any future DVC resort as well. How can you state that it is greed on their part, as they have zero profit in resale contracts at all?
If they were that concerned, why restrict it to resale buyers, why not restrict it to direct as well? Because its about money. Ans zero profit? They made the profit on the original sale. It would be like you buying tickets to an NFL game then when you went to resell them the NFL team wanted a cut from you....

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
If they were that concerned, why restrict it to resale buyers, why not restrict it to direct as well? Because its about money. Ans zero profit? They made the profit on the original sale. It would be like you buying tickets to an NFL game then when you went to resell them the NFL team wanted a cut from you....
Because, as I said before, direct buyers are the best customers, so get the best perks. Yes, they made the profit on the original sale. You can't have a resale unless someone buys it direct the first time around. So what's your point? They still get zero from a resale, and they don't ask for a cut of the money, so your analogy is flawed, and so again, where is the greed factor? If people don't research and understand what they are spending literally thousands of dollars on (and it doesn't matter if it's resale, it's still thousands of dollars), then they get what they deserve. Will they get mad because they can't use their points to stay at Poly? So??? Tough.

Oh, and you do understand that anyone who buys resale now at one of the original 14 resorts, cannot use those points at Riviera?

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
Because, as I said before, direct buyers are the best customers, so get the best perks. Yes, they made the profit on the original sale. You can't have a resale unless someone buys it direct the first time around. So what's your point? They still get zero from a resale, and they don't ask for a cut of the money, so your analogy is flawed, and so again, where is the greed factor? If people don't research and understand what they are spending literally thousands of dollars on (and it doesn't matter if it's resale, it's still thousands of dollars), then they get what they deserve. Will they get mad because they can't use their points to stay at Poly? So??? Tough.

Oh, and you do understand that anyone who buys resale now at one of the original 14 resorts, cannot use those points at Riviera?
Goof, you bought a timeshare, you didn't graduate from a prestigious college or donate enough money to have a building named after you, so cool it on the DVC pride thing.
I mearly pointed out that Disney has treated this commodity in a different way than most businesses and I shot down a poor analogy by you. I never said they weren't allowed to but I really hate when people act like the company acts in the interest of the consumer when th get clearly don't.
But what do I know, I'm just not as good a customer as you right? What a great mindset for a company to develop ...lol.
My analogy is that if you resell a ticket to the game you get the same experience weather you bought direct or not from the team or not

Last edited:

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Goof, you bought a timeshare, you didn't graduate from a prestigious college or donate enough money to have a building named after you, so cool it on the DVC pride thing.
The DVC pride thing was from several years ago when a few certain members were seriously bashing us DVC owners as being second class citizens of WDW. I just haven't gotten around to changing it lately. And you really have no idea if I graduated from a prestigious college or not. Why would you even say that? Because buying into DVC is not something a person who graduated from a prestigious college would do? Give me break on that one.

I mearly pointed out that Disney has treated this commodity in a different way than most businesses and I shot down a poor analogy by you. I never said they weren't allowed to but I really hate when people act like the company acts in the interest of the consumer when th get clearly don't.
Exactly how was it a poor analogy to compare it to rewards programs for hotels and rental cars (for e.g.)? OK, yes, you don't have to spend money to join them, but you do have to only use their hotels or cars to get the perks, which are typically more expensive than other options that don't have the perks. You buy direct from DVC, you get their rewards. You buy resale, the same as not joining Hertz's rewards program, you don't get the extras. Not sure why you consider this a bad analogy. The only difference is the amount of money that you have to spend, and that is a moot point.

As far as acting in the best interests of the customer, what I stated about restricting resales is absolutely the reasoning behind doing it. I have talked with the management team about it, and again, completely agree with their decision on this one. It is in my best interest, as a long time customer of DVC to restrict the resales of newer customers, so that I can have a better shot at getting a resort reservation at 7 months. Now you could, of course, argue that it isn't in the best interest of the Riviera resale customers, but they should know full well what they are buying. And also remember that the resale buyers get the full 11 month window for reservations there, and may lock out a lot of current owners in the future, when there are enough resale buyers for that resort.

But what do I know, I'm just not as good a customer as you right? What a great mindset for a company to develop ...lol.
So you're really going there? What a sophomoric thing to state.

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
The DVC pride thing was from several years ago when a few certain members were seriously bashing us DVC owners as being second class citizens of WDW. I just haven't gotten around to changing it lately. And you really have no idea if I graduated from a prestigious college or not. Why would you even say that? Because buying into DVC is not something a person who graduated from a prestigious college would do? Give me break on that one.

Exactly how was it a poor analogy to compare it to rewards programs for hotels and rental cars (for e.g.)? OK, yes, you don't have to spend money to join them, but you do have to only use their hotels or cars to get the perks, which are typically more expensive than other options that don't have the perks. You buy direct from DVC, you get their rewards. You buy resale, the same as not joining Hertz's rewards program, you don't get the extras. Not sure why you consider this a bad analogy. The only difference is the amount of money that you have to spend, and that is a moot point.

As far as acting in the best interests of the customer, what I stated about restricting resales is absolutely the reasoning behind doing it. I have talked with the management team about it, and again, completely agree with their decision on this one. It is in my best interest, as a long time customer of DVC to restrict the resales of newer customers, so that I can have a better shot at getting a resort reservation at 7 months. Now you could, of course, argue that it isn't in the best interest of the Riviera resale customers, but they should know full well what they are buying. And also remember that the resale buyers get the full 11 month window for reservations there, and may lock out a lot of current owners in the future, when there are enough resale buyers for that resort.

So you're really going there? What a sophomoric thing to state.
Your analogies don't make sense, it's a commodity still, not a buying club.
The college thing had nothing to do with someone whith a degree from one buying or not. It was more about what one takes pride in or not. Last I heard, it is good as a customer to be able to take what you buy and have the option to resell it for the best price possible. Disney is actively trying to limit resale prices through these methods today's buyer is tomorrow's seller, so no I dont think they act in the best interest of the customer. The Riveria restrictions dont effect me at all but I can still speak on them and if limiting people at the 7 month window was the goal why not limit direct buyers as well. Let's face it the resale market for Riviera is going to be extremely small for a long time and will most likely only comprise of those who have found themselves in some sort of financial calamity and selling below list prices given the restrictions and high starting price.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Your analogies don't make sense, it's a commodity still, not a buying club.
The college thing had nothing to do with someone whith a degree from one buying or not. It was more about what one takes pride in or not. Last I heard, it is good as a customer to be able to take what you buy and have the option to resell it for the best price possible. Disney is actively trying to limit resale prices through these methods today's buyer is tomorrow's seller, so no I dont think they act in the best interest of the customer. The Riveria restrictions dont effect me at all but I can still speak on them and if limiting people at the 7 month window was the goal why not limit direct buyers as well. Let's face it the resale market for Riviera is going to be extremely small for a long time and will most likely only comprise of those who have found themselves in some sort of financial calamity and selling below list prices given the restrictions and high starting price.
Well, since there are no Riviera resales, you are only speculating that the resale market will be small and limited. Considering that Disney has already sold three to four hundred thousand points for Riviera, and it's not even open, people are willing to spend top dollar to have that 11 month booking window. When they go to sell, so will the resale buyers. I'm willing to take the wait and see approach to Riviera resales as none of us has any idea what it's going to look like, and I gave up playing what if a long time ago.

And again, they aren't limiting direct buyers as those are your best customers, and they get the best rewards and perks. It really is that simple. Obviously, like you stated previously, Disney has already made their profit off the direct buyers, so there is a lot less incentive to give the same perks to people that gave zero dollars to Disney. Is it fair? Totally a matter of opinion. In my mind, yes. In others, no. But it is what it is, and Disney certainly isn't going to change.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I’m a blue card holder. But for sure not one of Disney’s best customer. In fact, most resale buyers are far better customers I’d wager.

correcaminos

But it's not a dining discount. It is a membership that "provides" a discount but is not in and of itself the discount. Therefore the blue card rules do not apply.

Yes they do, but thanks for digging up such an old thread ;)

Do as you wish though, but the more perks are abused, the more they will remove.

Phonedave

Restricting resale owners, or extending additional perks to direct purchasers is quite common in the time share industry. Perks such as free wifi, express check in, discounted amenities, and the ability to purchase bonus weeks for the cost of the yearly maintenance are all very common. Some places even have tiers of perks. Resale, direct, and premium direct, where you pay direct prices and then a one time premium fee on top of that.

It's all quite transparent to anybody who does even a small amount of research.

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
Restricting resale owners, or extending additional perks to direct purchasers is quite common in the time share industry. Perks such as free wifi, express check in, discounted amenities, and the ability to purchase bonus weeks for the cost of the yearly maintenance are all very common. Some places even have tiers of perks. Resale, direct, and premium direct, where you pay direct prices and then a one time premium fee on top of that.

It's all quite transparent to anybody who does even a small amount of research.
First, I dont believe the discussion today was about Express check out or wifi. It related to someone actually thinking Disney is looking out for the consumer instead of their own pocket. Started to do some research and typed in timeshare direct buy perks and about 4 li is down was this...

nickys

Premium Member
First, I dont believe the discussion today was about Express check out or wifi. It related to someone actually thinking Disney is looking out for the consumer instead of their own pocket. Started to do some research and typed in timeshare direct buy perks and about 4 li is down was this...

Well I’m blocked from that site.

But I’ll add my thoughts. DVC is the only timeshare that has a buoyant resale market. The only timeshare that you can actually get most of your initial outlay back if you sell a few years down the line. Heck, we bought and financed 9 years ago. We could sell now and get back all our outlay plus a couple of year’s maintenance fees.

Over in the U.K. and Europe, no bank would ever give a loan to buy a timeshare. It took three years before we managed to persuade the company to take back MIL’s timeshare when she passed away. Often the estate is stuck paying the maintenanace fees for life if no one wants to take it on. They have a really bad repuatation, whoever it’s with.

If you want the perks that go with DVC, you buy direct. For most people the only benefit really worth having is the APs. But others like events like the Moonlight Magic, and are lucky enough to have been able to book because they have the flexibility to go down for the weekend. It’s a personal choice. But if you want those perks, you have to pay for them.

If you don’t care about the perks, or can’t afford to pay the direct price, you can still buy resale. Want to stay at Riviera? Fine, rent your own points out and rent someone else’s to book for you at 11 months. If you buy resale at Riviera, you do so because you love the place.

I don’t get this “Disney owes me” attitude. They don’t owe you anything, other than the ability to stay in (a) DVC resort(s). What you decide is a fair price to pay for that is a personal matter, with many factors coming into play. Some people don’t see the benefit at all, some do. If it doesn’t make sense to you to buy direct, don’t. If it isn’t worth it to you without the perks, then you buy direct or you don’t buy.

I really don’t see why this is so hard, it isn’t rocket science.

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
Well I’m blocked from that site.

But I’ll add my thoughts. DVC is the only timeshare that has a buoyant resale market. The only timeshare that you can actually get most of your initial outlay back if you sell a few years down the line. Heck, we bought and financed 9 years ago. We could sell now and get back all our outlay plus a couple of year’s maintenance fees.

Over in the U.K. and Europe, no bank would ever give a loan to buy a timeshare. It took three years before we managed to persuade the company to take back MIL’s timeshare when she passed away. Often the estate is stuck paying the maintenanace fees for life if no one wants to take it on. They have a really bad repuatation, whoever it’s with.

If you want the perks that go with DVC, you buy direct. For most people the only benefit really worth having is the APs. But others like events like the Moonlight Magic, and are lucky enough to have been able to book because they have the flexibility to go down for the weekend. It’s a personal choice. But if you want those perks, you have to pay for them.

If you don’t care about the perks, or can’t afford to pay the direct price, you can still buy resale. Want to stay at Riviera? Fine, rent your own points out and rent someone else’s to book for you at 11 months. If you buy resale at Riviera, you do so because you love the place.

I don’t get this “Disney owes me” attitude. They don’t owe you anything, other than the ability to stay in (a) DVC resort(s). What you decide is a fair price to pay for that is a personal matter, with many factors coming into play. Some people don’t see the benefit at all, some do. If it doesn’t make sense to you to buy direct, don’t. If it isn’t worth it to you without the perks, then you buy direct or you don’t buy.

I really don’t see why this is so hard, it isn’t rocket science.
The site was about how the changes with Riviera have damaged potential resales. Like I said I dont really care perks, I dont go often enough to even really make it an issue. The discussion had kinda morphed at least on my end to how Riviera restrictions are not really any kind of benefit to anyone but Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom