Camera of choice?

Kman101

Original Poster
What camera do you use when visiting the parks ... or for everyday things?

I've seen some amazing photos and was curious ...

I have a pretty new camera that takes great shots but I still need to master it. It seems everytime I settle on a shot, I shake a little and it screws it up. I also don't like how mine stalls (the flash) before I can snap another photo. Very tough when I'm trying to take numerous shots at a time but I'd guess most cameras have that. I'm so picky :ROFLOL:

jmicro59

Even though it's a big camera, I bring my Canon 30D every July when we go to WDW. Takes great pics and I love using it.

haveyoumetmark

I'm an amateur, and I might get an SLR this year and start photography as a new hobby. However, I love taking cool pictures with my Canon Powershot SD630. I love it.

dolbyman

yeah ... third that rebel xti (named 400d in europe) ... just perfect for me .. uses the same batterys as my brand new HDTV camera (HV20 is incredible crisp even in lowlight .. and the colors look like 3ccd)

but you need to practice before visiting the park .. it needs a bit more finetuning than most point and shooters

dazzer68

a sony dcs-h2 steadyshot for me.
its in between an ordinary camera and an slr. so i can over ride and do a lot of manual stuff as well as leave it 'simple' mode! when i need to, a great camera

micmous

Canon SD800IS, fits nicely in the pocket (nice and small) and takes great pictures. With 3.5g of SD memory, I have enough room to take all the pictures I want during vacation.

Kman101

Original Poster
Wow. Sony and Canon seem to be popular choices. I've heard tons of good things about them and their cameras. I'm liking the Canon's I've looked at online but because I spent a decent amount of money for my Casio, which is very good mind you and I love it ...

JDM

Gotta tell ya.....mine is a simple Kodak Easy Share and it took EXCELLENT pictures on our trip. Small and lightweight, which I believe is vital in these situations.
Unless you're a hobbyist, there's really not much need for the bigger, more expensive ones, in my opinion (And this from someone with over $600 already invested in a 35MM SLR).

celticdog

Up until February of this year, I was using a Nikon FM-10 SLR. I have since switched over to digital and now I'm using the Nikon D40 DSLR. It's the easiest digital SLR I've used. I do have a little cheapo Minolta point and shoot film camera, that I'll use if there is a risk of danger to the camera. I don't care if the Minolta gets broken.

The girlfriend uses the Canon Rebel XT digital. It does well for daytime shots, but she struggles with night and lowlight situations.

Gorjus

I am blessed to be able to go to the parks often. I have a digital SLR camera (Canon 10 D). I have spent hours photographing all the things I want to photograph and they are stored on my computer. At this point, unless I am in a creative mood or need specific photos or am going to see characters, I don't feel like lugging it to the parks. So I am in the market for a point and shoot, and I don't want a point and shoot that has to go around my neck. For that I might as well lug around the 10D. I'm looking for something that fits in my pocket that I can pull out if something cool happens; however, it is also ready to do creative things as well. I've decided on the Panasonic TZ1 or TZ3. It has a 10x optical zoom. For that you usually have to have an slr or an slr wanna be. The TZ's are shirt pocket cameras.:sohappy:

However, if you have children who love to see characters, and you enjoy capturing the hugs, you need a real slr (that includes digital and film). With an slr, you can put it on simple mode if you want (point and shoot), and the response time is so quick that you always catch those candid moments if you are ready. With point and shoots, there is such a flash lag time that if you are in the Judges Tent with Mickey and you have just taken the POSED photo of your child with Mickey, and then your child spontaneously feels like hugging Mickey, you are probably going to miss it with a point and shoot because your flash is recharging. With an slr, you get every photo.

Time and again, I capture the spontaneous hug with the spontaneous emotion and smile while mom says: "oh, I missed that, can you hug xyz again." Mom gets the posed hug.

Also, many characters, in an effort to accomodate as many fans as possible, give split second hugs you might not notice before moving on to the next family. After a few hours of watching said character do these hugs, I learn to watch for it and grab it because of my slr.

If you've got kids and a stroller, bring an slr, you can throw it in a stroller. If you don't have kids and a stroller, bring a point and shoot unless you have a specific photo you need to take or you are in a creative mood.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom