Came THIS close to buying DVC

Status
Not open for further replies.

WWWD

Really?

"I'm glad you posted your numbers/experience about the DVC because I'm sorry to say, I have always felt who ever bought into the DVC was a complete sucker! Now I know I will be killed on here for saying that, but it's the truth!! I really do feel bad for these people who spent their hard earned money to buy into this complete Disney rip off that doesn't even come with room service...You've been had DVC owners...."

Seriously, DVC is a life style choice. Not all decisions in life are based purely on the "numbers." If they were, no one would own a boat or buy the fully loaded truck to pull it. They both will quickly depreciate in value, but are a lot of fun while you have them!

dizzney

If those are your immediate plans, the first question that comes to my mind is why did you buy 200 points in the first place? With plans to use 189 points in Year 1 and zero points in Year 2, why buy what is clearly an excess right from the start?

With a (cheaper) 180 point purchase, travels for Year 1 include all 180 current points and 9 borrowed from Year 2. 171 remaining points from Year 2 are banked and available for Year 3.

In Year 3 you then have available 171 from Year 2, 180 from Year 3 and 180 which can be borrowed from Year 4.

I cannot speak for all DVC owners but these issues have never plagued me. In 8+ years of owning we have never lost a single point. If we have excess points, we upgrade to a more expensive resort / view or add a night to our scheduled stay. If we don't have enough points we borrow from the next year, take a short trip or stay in a cheaper location.
Totally agree with you,

We have never lost points in 13 years fo owning at Boardwalk and BLT (arrving home tonight Boardwalk). I am a planner and I will freely admit it, and yes my dining ressies are on my spreadsheet and smart phone but I enjoy planning our vacations, and unless we owned DVC we could never had had 14 family members down last august in a two bedroom and two studios, with us staying for nine nights and others between 2 and 6 ngihts.

Everyone is asking when can we do it again? And this year we're down there for 8 nights now and then in August doing the two night cruise out of NY with 2 cabins on the Magic so our kids can try cruising for the first time - all on points.

They are flexible and easy to use, and if by chance I wqsnt into banking them (if we had extra) we would rent them out. It wa a no brainer to buy for us (only thought we had after was that we should have bought sooner than 99) and by our calculations, made back the initial cost within 4 years, did three add-ons and are way ahead now.

Factor in the benefits of the reduced AP pass (save $100 per person) as we get at least two trips in in 365 days, the value fo the TIW card, the benefits of the AP holder. My DH will say that I figure out the best way to ahve the best time for the least amount of money.

Love our DVC!

captainkidd

Original Poster
Looks like my original numbers were WAY off. On the low side, I've read (and heard from DVC members) that dues raise at least 5% per year. If I was to purchase 300 points, my 1st year dues would be $1,683. By year 45, dues would be $14,402 for the year. Grand total in dues = $268,773. Add in $30k for initial purchase = Let's call it $300,000. That would get me a grand total of 338 nights in a 1 bedroom villa at the Wilderness Lodge during Magic Season over the lifetime of the contract. That's $888 per night.

:confused:

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Well, thank goodness you didn't but into it then. Obviously it's not for you, while it is attractive for others. I think that's an acceptable way to put things, don't you?

Pioneer Hall

Looks like my original numbers were WAY off. On the low side, I've read (and heard from DVC members) that dues raise at least 5% per year. If I was to purchase 300 points, my 1st year dues would be $1,683. By year 45, dues would be $14,402 for the year. Grand total in dues = $268,773. Add in $30k for initial purchase = Let's call it $300,000. That would get me a grand total of 338 nights in a 1 bedroom villa at the Wilderness Lodge during Magic Season over the lifetime of the contract. That's $888 per night.

:confused:

And as inflation continues to rise, so will room prices. $1000 a night for a hotel might not seem crazy in 25 years.

The Mom

Premium Member
I think there have been many reasons given to either purchase, or not purchase, DVC. There is no way to figure out if it is or isn't for you without looking at your own family situation, vacation styles, etc and then factoring all of the many situations presented in this discussion.

Some of you will get a positive result, others will get a negative. But it is impossible for someone else to make that decision for you - they just don't have enough information.

Pioneer Hall

Maybe. Maybe not.

All personal preference, as others have said. $30K I'm ok with. $300K, not so much.:lol:

Start keeping track now of what your dues would have been vs what you spend on a vacation in lodging. I would like to see in 10 years, then 20, etc what you have spent (I know tone is hard to judge, so please know this is all in curiosity and nothing DVC defensive). I think it would be a pretty cool experiment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom