Calming Rooms for non IP rides - Could this work at Disney?

DVCscott

Original Poster
I was reading somewhere about various amusement parks beginning to add "Calming Rooms" for children with special needs to help them unwind and decompress from some of the many stresses that come with crowded, loud environments. I think that is a good idea, but also started wondering if Disney could do something similar for adults at some of the non IP based rides and shows.

At times you hear people say things like "Hall of Presidents is boring" or "I don't like SSE and LWTL because they're too educational", and so on. There are more people out there than you realize who do not find entertainment or enjoyment with rides or shows that do not represent Disney owned IP.
Is it time for Disney to start considering calming rooms for adults and children alike who get confused or bored over those non IP attractions? To help them unwind and remind them of the vast collection of characters in the Disney library? I was thinking they could use VR goggles for relaxation purposes, displaying slideshows of different Marvel, Star Wars, Pixar, and Disney characters accompanied to calming music. This would remind anyone who gets stressed easily when experiencing a non IP attraction that the characters still exist, and help eliminate stress / boredom.
9994.jpg

If the VR goggles are too expensive of an option, Disney could use flash cards or wall posters in the calming rooms, showing different characters that are IP. Could this work, and would this help those who can't handle the stress of educational or non IP park offerings?

lazyboy97o

The Hall of Presidents is a Disney owned IP. Living with the Land is a Disney owned IP.

Were you confused that Mickey Mouse wasn’t in Frozen? That Woody wasn’t in Soul?

Quiet and calming rooms are for persons with autism and other sensory issues. They are a respite with minimal stimuli, not a place to escape the horror of there being attractions you don’t like.

Last edited:

DVCscott

Original Poster
The Hall of Presidents is a Disney owned IP. Living with the Land is a Disney owned IP.
I meant non-character I guess. Attractions with no Marvel, Star Wars, Pixar, etc etc....
"Some mountain in India or wherever.." that Iger referenced to Everest not having a movie tie-in.
People who cannot be entertained by HoP unless Muppets are added...

That's what I was referring to.

Ayla

Is it time for Disney to start considering calming rooms for adults and children alike who get confused or bored over those non IP attractions?
LOL No. If you don't like what Disney offers, don't visit. You have multiple other options for amusement parks that offer rides you prefer.

Don't expect them to put in things to soothe you because you can't handle riding something you don't like (the HORROR!!!).

JIMINYCR

Well so many colleges are using legos, silly putty, play-doh, bubble wands, coloring books and puppies to calm down overly stressed students who cant cope. If thats the adults we are turning out now then Disney needs to ready themselves for the caliber of adults to come.

I always found Ellen's universe of energy to be calming after a long morning at Epcot. It was a must for the nostalgia and the total lack of sunlight. Hopefully the new Cosmic Unwind ride will be slightly less nap inducing.

aliceismad

I was thinking they could use VR goggles for relaxation purposes, displaying slideshows of different Marvel, Star Wars, Pixar, and Disney characters accompanied to calming music.
Zenimation already exists on Disney+. https://www.disneyplus.com/en-gb/series/zenimation/6hSv4CBT2Q3N

It's not in the Parks, but Disney could conceivably integrate it into a space if there were need for such a thing.

Dollywood has a calming room. Not sure of other parks. As previously stated though, Disney does offer spaces for guests with special needs.

Pepper's Ghost

Marvel and Star Wars are not calming ……..

Not sure that the OP was being serious though. 🤔
This has to be a serious post. To make fun of special needs kids/adults in gest would make the poster a generally awful person.

With that said I think this idea is over the top. If we're talking normal young adults, grow up. For special needs, as mentioned, every park has a calming ride and most of us at some point ride the Peoplemover, SSE, and several other rides just to calm down without sensory overload. I think that's plenty, not to mention the resting/calming areas already mentioned that are around the parks.

Last edited:

Parker in NYC

This has to be a serious post. To make fun of special needs kids/adults in gest would make the poster a generally awful person.

With that said I think this idea is over the top. If we're talking normal young adults, grow up. For special needs, as mentioned, every park has a calming ride and most of us at some point ride the Peoplemover, SSE, and several other rides just to calm down without sensory overload. I think that's plenty, not to mention the reating/calming areas already mentioned that are around the parks.
It's 2021. Every group is targeted online. All cards on the table, whether against humanity or not. Sad state of affairs. I never saw Carlin go after special needs folks but it's a new frontier.

Pepper's Ghost

It's 2021. Every group is targeted online. All cards on the table, whether against humanity or not. Sad state of affairs. I never saw Carlin go after special needs folks but it's a new frontier.
This is true. Maybe I'm giving too much credit, but I don't think so in this case. Carlin was the best, in general. Today's society is both hyper sensitive about everything, and also terribly insensitive in the way people just attack each other. We're all dragged down to the lowest common denominator. So sick of it. Switzerland is nice though. I've never considered moving, but one visit there a few years ago has made me consider otherwise. Moving abroad won't change society online, but at least the people around me would more pleasant and less sensitive.

John park hopper

Well so many colleges are using legos, silly putty, play-doh, bubble wands, coloring books and puppies to calm down overly stressed students who cant cope. If thats the adults we are turning out now then Disney needs to ready themselves for the caliber of adults to come.
OMG these are not adults, these are pampered babies (literally and figuratively) at 19 I wish I had a calming room during my Vietnam tour. These wimps don't have clue as to what stress is--pathetic

graphite1326

I can't imagine hiring someone who needed this to help them with stress. My job was very stressful. You either handle it or get a job flipping burgers.

Pepper's Ghost

I can't imagine hiring someone who needed this to help them with stress. My job was very stressful. You either handle it or get a job flipping burgers.
I agree with this in general, but the OP did mention "for children with special needs". This is the part I don't understand...
Is it time for Disney to start considering calming rooms for adults and children alike who get confused or bored over those non IP attractions?

Jrb1979

I was reading somewhere about various amusement parks beginning to add "Calming Rooms" for children with special needs to help them unwind and decompress from some of the many stresses that come with crowded, loud environments. I think that is a good idea, but also started wondering if Disney could do something similar for adults at some of the non IP based rides and shows.

At times you hear people say things like "Hall of Presidents is boring" or "I don't like SSE and LWTL because they're too educational", and so on. There are more people out there than you realize who do not find entertainment or enjoyment with rides or shows that do not represent Disney owned IP.
Is it time for Disney to start considering calming rooms for adults and children alike who get confused or bored over those non IP attractions? To help them unwind and remind them of the vast collection of characters in the Disney library? I was thinking they could use VR goggles for relaxation purposes, displaying slideshows of different Marvel, Star Wars, Pixar, and Disney characters accompanied to calming music. This would remind anyone who gets stressed easily when experiencing a non IP attraction that the characters still exist, and help eliminate stress / boredom.
View attachment 563878

If the VR goggles are too expensive of an option, Disney could use flash cards or wall posters in the calming rooms, showing different characters that are IP. Could this work, and would this help those who can't handle the stress of educational or non IP park offerings?
I'm the opposite. I hate the majority of IP attractions. The best attractions IMO are the Non IP ones.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom