Call me crazy, but ...

Do you DVC vacation to WDW without park passes?

• All the time. Why waste my vacation running around the parks?

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Are you kidding? WDW without park passes? No way.

Votes: 30 73.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

toolsnspools

Original Poster
How many DVC owners out there take trips to WDW without buying park tickets? I've been generating a list of things I'd like to do at WDW that don't require park tickets. After out first DVC stay at AKL-KV, I think our next trip will be without park passes. There were so many activities to keep us busy that the added expense of getting park passes seemed unnecessary. So am I just plain crazy or are there others out there that have bailed on the parks and just spend their vacation at WDW relaxing at the resort? If your with me, list a couple of your favorite things to do outside the four gates.

DisneyBunny

My In-laws do this all the time, especially when they're traveling without the grandkids. They don't even call it going to Disney World, it's "Going to LBV" :rolleyes:

That being said, with an almost 3 year old, and one on the way, I think there'd be a riot if we didn't spend at least a few days in the park each trip.

foreverbelle

Never done it myself but I have heard others on this site that go down to do it. And a few others who do this during the holidays. We met a family who come down just to do the shopping....during New Years...

Mr.Skunkape

If no children are involved then yes you could do a long weekend trip of golfing,dining and shopping. With children you have to go into the parks.

grumpy 07

That would never enter my mind. For me, all the enjoyment of disney world is the parks. Part of the reason you stay on property is perks and easy access to all parks.

dizzney

We would NEVER go to WDW and not visit the parks, the kids wouldnt be happy and even this august, its just DH and I for our anniversary and we're doing the parks.

luvlifeinfl

Since you do not have a response selection, i have suggested it to my family every time we go, and sadly it is not the kids that want to go to the parks it is my DH, my kids would be completly happy at the resort at the pool.

I will also mention this We have went to the parks and after several hrs My youngest & I have left my oldest & hubby in the parks.

So my response is I want to try it not go to the parks, but some family members are against it.

devoy1701

when we go for extended weekends we usually spend all day laying by the pool and go to the parks in the evening.

we started doing this when we started pricing out hotels on the beach within an hour/hour and 15 minute driving distance from us. We found out it's alot cheaper for us to just book a room at CBR with our AP discount than it is to go to the real beach.

But if I were a DVC member, knowing that we would be there multiple times a year, I'm sure we would do a trip every once in awhile without stepping foot inside a park. Give me a balcony and a good book and I'm happy.

toolsnspools

Original Poster
Your crazy.....:shrug:

Thanks Pumbas. I knew I could count on you. :ROFLOL:

I asked this not because I dislike the parks. Quite the opposite in fact. I just feel like I'm missing out on a lot of other things to do. In the 4 trips I've taken to WDW, I don't think I've spent more that 4 or 5 hours total at DTD. I've never been putt-putt golfing, or real golfing for that matter. I haven't been to DisneyQuest. There were a ton of things to do at Kidani Village that I never took advantage of. I think most of this is because once I go to a park, I feel like I need to be there all day. Taking a trip without passes would force me to do some of the things that I just don't seem to make the time for now.

worldfanatic

I love the parks, but the resorts are awesome by themselves.
We spent 6 nights last year at the Animal Kingdom Lodge with no park visits and it was one of our best visits ever.
Of course, we know we'll be back soon to hit the parks.

I used to be a park commando, but no more. With DVC, I've evolved.

Well...

Call me crazy, but we've seriously thought about doing this ourselves.:p My DW and I talked about just enjoying the resorts without rushing through the parks. We’re empty nesters now and don’t feel the need to spend every minuet on rides or in shows. Maybe a trip that would include a visit to each of not only the DVC resorts, but all of the resorts might be interesting. Plus…we never take advantage of all of the amenities in our resort, including some real pool or spa time; we’re always busy running through the parks from morning until night.

We do have a trip planned for October this year for just the two of us to celebrate her beating breast cancer.:) We’ll actually be using our DVC points to take a 7 night DCL Eastern Caribbean Cruise on the Disney Magic and three nights at Kidani Village. The cruise sails on a Saturday and we actually will be flying in on Wednesday. We originally planned on not visiting any parks this trip until we signed up for the Give-a-day, Get-a-Disney Day deal and now have a voucher each for a free day in any park.:sohappy: We plan on doing the Food and Wine Festival at EPCOT.:slurp: The rest of the time on property we plan on enjoying Kidani Village where we booked our reservation.

I do see a trip, minus the parks, in our future though…but obviously not when the kids and their families are with us…especially when the day comes that we have grandkids to enjoy. Then Grandpa (not yet but someday) will have to show the rugrats how to do Disney in style from daybreak to midnight for a week straight.:king:

toolsnspools

Original Poster
Congrats to your DW for beating the cancer! That's awesome. It's cool to hear that you did the GAD-GADD too. We were going to try that but nothing came up that was a fit for a family with 3 kids.

You'll love Kidani. We stayed there in Feb and it was incredible. That's the resort that got me thinking of a trip without the hustle and bustle of the parks.

We will be taking our first cruise next year on the Dream. We have a 4 day trip to Nassau. Can't wait! :sohappy:

scrapcomber

We didn't do it this time as we had all the children and partners with us so all the parks were a must, but if just DH and myself go next time we were thinking this would be a good idea as we came back to GB shattered :lol:

kaos

Our next trip, we are doing in phases. A week in West Palm, 4 days without parks, and then the our parents are coming and joining us for the parks! DW and I have gone to DTD before without the parks. I've also gone myself and not done the parks. There are so many other things to do- golf, golf, golf, I think we may have golfed, and some golf.

There needs to be a third option- "Sometimes we do, sometimes we don't"

puntagordabob

the no park option should not be worded so harshly...! I think as someone who lives two hours away by car we are happy doing either option for a one night trip... Depends on what we all want to do I guess... but even though I chose option 1, I still love the parks! :)

toolsnspools

Original Poster
The no option was meant more "tongue in cheek" when I wrote it, but I agree there probably needs to be middle of the road option in the survey. :shrug: ... rookie mistake.

OurDailyGruel

I have absolutely no interest in theme park rides so if it weren't "for the children" I wouldn't buy a park ticket but I am seriously considering DVC because The World is so all encompassing. I think I could "endure" using up the last few years of a contract without the kids, just hanging out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom