"Call It Disney's Food Kingdom" - NY Times Article

t3techcom18

Original Poster
Hey there everyone! Just wanted to pass this on, a nice article bout dining at WDW, that goes into detail bout the dining experiences at the restaurants but goes into detail bout high end dining at WDW (Specifically Flying Fish, Victoria's and Albert's, Jiko, California Grill), the regular dining spots/fast food places, and even goes on to praise the infamous Dole Whips!

http://travel.nytimes.com/2008/06/27/travel/escapes/27disney.html?ref=dining

Enjoy! :wave:

Buried20KLeague

And here I thought it might be an article about how the restaurants are too homoginized since the DDP took off. :(

If only the author would have experienced even Disney's standard table service before -and then after- the DDP!!

DivineMadness7

I love how she was upset they had to have the chef's table....

I didn't read it as her being upset. She says they were seated there because of the kids. I think when she says "It was not a disaster, especially not for children who know what capers are and who eat foie gras, but the meal was too elaborate, expensive and long." she is referring to the entire experience, not just the fact that they sat at the chef's table.

Though I thought kids were not allowed in the restaurant, period. Maybe with her being a food critic they were willing to make an exception.

WickedQueen22

I must have misunderstood her. She didn't seem pleased that the dining room was so stuffy her only choice was the chef's table. Isn't the chef's table supposed to be the best spot in the restaurant? I haven't been because I have children.

Ashitaka

Yeah, I had seen this article when it first came out a few days ago. It just seems so far away from most people's Disney experience though.

Currently I'm fortunate enough to be able to afford eating at Jiko, but adding a $90 bottle of wine from the Reserve list? Maybe, if we were celebrating something really special. At least I can imagine the possibility of doing that.

But landing the Chef's Table at V&A so the grandkids (ages 6 and 8) can go too??? Oh, Come ON.

That takes it way beyond a travelogue that would be useful to anyone besides the multi-millionaire or someone who can put such extravagances on an expense report (such as a travel writer).

hpyhnt 1000

Yeah, I had seen this article when it first came out a few days ago. It just seems so far away from most people's Disney experience though.

Currently I'm fortunate enough to be able to afford eating at Jiko, but adding a $90 bottle of wine from the Reserve list? Maybe, if we were celebrating something really special. At least I can imagine the possibility of doing that.

But landing the Chef's Table at V&A so the grandkids (ages 6 and 8) can go too??? Oh, Come ON.

That takes it way beyond a travelogue that would be useful to anyone besides the multi-millionaire or someone who can put such extravagances on an expense report (such as a travel writer).

I do agree with those sentiments. For the average guest who heads to WDW, dining like this writer was fortunate enough to do is a stretch, and for many, out of the question.

That being said, I don't think the purpose of the article was to say "This is where and how to eat at Disney". I think the main purpose was just to showcase the many different options that WDW has as far as dining goes. I'm sure there are many that think Disney is just a bunch of fast food and counter service eating places and nothing else. This article, I feel, was meant to show that when it comes to eating at Disney, its more than just hot dogs and hamburgers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom