California Screamin'

jcrb

Griz I never been on it but I would think it just like a wooden coaster. My theory.

Probably something like what went on at Coney Island.

SirNim

Originally posted by jcrb
Griz I never been on it but I would think it just like a wooden coaster. My theory.

Yep... A reminiscent "salute" to the good ole' days. It features a loud soundtrack from what I hear, so I don't know if that's supposed to be an homage to LA/music much like RnRC. Basically, it's a souped-up steel roller coaster supposed to look like a wooden coaster at a Californian amusement pier during the last century. Just like the rest of Paradise Pier... :animwink: ;)

Testtrack321

Do we have to use rollercoasters or such as comparisons to older classics that only the crazzy would hate?

Grizz, as much as your great and the like, I think you've gone into over kill with attraction hating.

As for story, it's not the ride that has the story, but the whole land. It's a story of a Pier and it's novel days with corn dogs and ferris wheels.

Just to clear it up, it's built by Intimen AG (same people who did Millennium Force).

General Grizz

Original Poster
Hold the phone!! Did I ever say that I hated this attraction? Because I am curious about something must mean I hate it??

Anywho, I was wondering what the idea behind the attraction was...and now I know.

Many thanks...:lol:

JLW11Hi

There isn't a soundtrack on the ride from what I remember. I liked California Screamin'. I really enjoy rides with the whole "storyline" bit, but some visitors to Disney don't go fot that kind of thing. (I do, but Screamin' is a nice little break between great "epics" like Indiana Jones and Space Mountain!)

jaylenofan86

Do we have to use rollercoasters or such as comparisons to older classics that only the crazzy would hate?
Hey now, it's not nice to put words in other people's mouths. I really don't like California Sceamin' that much, I'll ride it if it has a 15 minute wait or less. Also, I like the older classics, so are you calling me crazy now?

Testtrack321

Disneynutcase

Are you sure this is a soundtrack on the ride? I was just there a few weeks ago and remember music, but it was Beach Boys kinds of stuff that was piped into all of Paradise Pier. I think, at best, the ride had a few speakers up high so that you heard a few bars of music while you rode. But it isn't like RnRC w/ speakers in the coasters.

By the way, this is really one of the most overrated coasters I've ever been on. I like the more kid oriented coasters at Legoland better than this one. Definately 4th best at DL resort.

But is sure rides smooth. Just not much of anything--no true high speed, no big hills, one loop, to great hair pins, nothing much that makes you feel too many "G's."

And as a kid who grew up at Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk, this whole Paradise Pier area is truly lacking in nostalgia and authenticity--but that might be my nostaligic prejudice talking.

It would be interesting to hear what other people think of the area. My opinion--too many uneventful slow-loaders w/ very little of anything that says Disney, extraordinary, or even "special."

Tron

There is a soundtrack to the ride -- however at least three of the cars do not have a working sound system, so your chances of actually going on the ride with the soundtrack are not necessarily very solid. I was at CA about two weeks ago and went on California Screamin' four times. Only one of those had the soundtrack.
It's a very similar situation to Disneyland's Space Mountain. That ride has a wonderful soundtrack, but I spent a week going on the ride every day and never once got to hear it. The system just doesn't work anymore, for some reason.

steamboatwillie

It's also the second longest roller coaster in the U.S. You can watch a QuickTime video of it here:

http://www.mousepants.com/tongoroa/screamin1.mov

The video also has the soundtrack on it. Most people who've never been to DL don't realize it, but DCA backs right up to Katella Blvd. in Anaheim, and Screamin' is at the farthest end of DCA so it backs right up to that road. They also sell a model of Screamin' at Once Upon A Toy:

http://www.wdw-photos.com/july3/DSCF2939.JPG

Big Pooh

Originally posted by jcrb

It LOOKS like a wooden coaster, but the ride is NOTHING like a wooden coaster. It's VERY smooth, and while the ride on a woodie can be different from hour to hour, the ride on CS is consistent...whether you ride first thing in the morning, last thing at night, during the winter, or during the summer, the ride never changes.

Cheers :wave:

Testtrack321

Add a sound track and a wave launch (the shoot out a wave, a la Typhoon Lagoon, just as the train launches to look like the wave is pushing up the hill.

Grumpy56

I'm sorry to hear that the soundtrack only works in some of the cars. I haven't been to the California Adventure since shortly after it opened but the speakers in the cars for the music really was a big addition to the ride. Also liked the mouse shaped loop. Normally I don't like going upside down but it was very smooth.

DLMAGICDARREN

California Screamin, is one of the highlights of DCA, and certainly the highlight of Paradise Pier.

To put it simplistic, yes, it's nothing but a coaster. Such as Space Mountain, Big Thunder, Matterhorn, and Rock N Roller Copaster are nothing but coasters. The show around a ride does not make it suddenly, NOT a coaster.

The show to California Screamin, takes places outdoors, it would make no sense to run any portion inside a show building, because the show is to resemble a classic wooden coaster, for the old seaside parks of California. They didn't have show building so neither does this. THe show is the steel coaster is designed to look like a wooden coaster. None of thta actually supports the actual steel coaster, it was all desinged 100% for show.

The soundtrack is also a complete show element, and although it's sad they are experinacing troubles with it so soon, when working properly it's absolutely as much of the fun, as when Space MOuntain's properly works. I have the CD with the soundtrack on it, and I can always envision, what part of the coaster I'm on, as it flows with the music.

Of course there are portions that are simply to enhance the ride, such as the loop, and the giant Mickey, the wave and the LIM launch.

Disneynutcase

So in other words, it's an outdoor coaster "themed" to look like an outdoor coaster. And the "Disney Magic", to compare it to BTM, SM or Matterhorn, is that it looks like a classic wooden coaster...but it's not wooden.

Oh yeah, and it has a rocket launch a la RnRC to get you up the first big hill and it sometimes has a soundtrack that works.

Only thing I agree with is that California Screamin' is probably the only unreplaceable ride in the Paradise Pier area...okay, maybe also the Sun Wheel. Every other attraction, eatery, arcade, or game in PP has a feel of "temporary" or at least easily replaceable attraction.

Therefore, California Screamin' IS the highlight of Paradise Pier...not that it's much of a compliment IMHO.

DLMAGICDARREN

No, it's not an outdoor coaster themed to look like an outdoor coaster, it's a steel coaster themed to look like a wooden coaster. Matterhorn Mountain, the only coaster made by Walt himself, only had a mountain surrounding it. It was not until 1978, and years after Walt's time that the snowman was added.

I'm not calling California Screamin better then say Big Thunder, but really, does Big Thunder have much of a stronger story, then California Screamin? Not really. It's a mountain, with a runaway train. Pretty scenery? Yes, but no story. California Screamin was not attempting to relic some mountain, as the other Disneyland coasters do, it tells a very different story. Even WDW's Rock N Roller Coaster, has little to offer aside from a LIM launch, and soundtrack, it's just indoors, because it needed to be to best simulate a mad spree through the LA freeways to get you to the other side of town.

I experiance plenty of Disney magic riding California Screamin, and this is not just another DCA is too perfect opinion, because I'll fault anything when due, but I just am not one to beleive that you have to throw a show building around a ride, to suddenly claim, yeah it has Disney magic. Now would Mullholand Madness have been better with a show building? Absoluetly!

A similar coaster to California Screamin, at a non Disney park, would not have added the soundtrack, or the wave effect, or the disguise of it's true form. It's a lot more magical then say Six Flag's Revolution, which is a one loop steel coaster that has absolutely no show to it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom