california grill/wishes

cheshiresmile

Original Poster
what would be the best time to get a ps to see wishes from cg? should i mention anything specific to any cms? thanks! renee

2gether

Hmmm

It is important to know when you are going. For example, during a few of the days of our trip in December, Wishes will be at 8:00, but in several other days it will be at 10 due to MVMCP. So I would cehck the times and then get a ressie about 1:00 in advance of the show. You'll just be finishing up dinner when it starts.

Moustronaut

cheshiresmile said:
what would be the best time to get a ps to see wishes from cg? should i mention anything specific to any cms? thanks! renee
We've always made them at or shortly after the start of the show. You get there a little early, check in at the front stand, then when you get your pager, they let you go out to the observation deck and watch the show. Usually you're going to have to wait for your table a bit anyway so it's a great way to kill time while you're waiting. However I remember reading here that Cali Grill has recently changed how the handle waiting guests so not sure if you can do this anymore.

Slosh

I don't want to sound rude or anything, but it seems to me a lot of people will make reservations very early, and then camp out at their table waiting for the fireworks. Not saying you would do something like that, but it does increase the wait time for everyone else, and lower your waiter's total take for the evening.
Also, go back to your hotel, clean up, and change into some nice clothes before dinner. You'll have a better experience than sitting around in sweaty park clothes feeling out of place. California Grill is a fine dining establishment, and (being in the industry) it pains me to see cutoff tshirts and flip flops in an otherwise excellent restaurant.

cherrynegra

I once made reservations for California Grill an hour before the fireworks, and I requested a window table. Well....life doesn't always work out the way you want. We got seated by windows all right. In the rear of the restaurant. :lol: But what saved it was the chance to walk out onto the observation deck to watch the fireworks. Next time I just made rezzies around fireworks time and watched the show before we were sat. It all worked out in the end.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Ressie for fireworks = bad idea.

There are only so many seats that can see anything and not everyone can get one. Everyone has a sob story and no one will guarantee them to anyone.

Then if you are luckey, other people will crowd around you, make nastey remarks that you got it instead of their children, the restaurant will be packed, and someone not wearing the REQUIRED busines casual dress code will throw a fit over it too.

Go after the fireworks - I prefer the latest seating available on a given night. Watch the park close, watch the castle change colors. If everyone else is gone you'll have time to talk to your waiter/waitress about wine selection (which Cali Grill has a great number of choice) enjoy your courses and watch the MK twinkle down below.

3IAlienKid

originally posted by Slosh
I don't want to sound rude or anything, but it seems to me a lot of people will make reservations very early, and then camp out at their table waiting for the fireworks. Not saying you would do something like that, but it does increase the wait time for everyone else, and lower your waiter's total take for the evening.
I agree, while it may be nice for the family who makes very early reservations and just sits around after dessert for half an hour waiting for the fireworks to start, it's really a big inconvenience for everyone else. Guests who made their reservations for just before the fireworks may not be able to get in on time to see them. My wife and I have experienced an 8:00pm Wishes from California Grill once, and although we got in right when our priority seating was made for (7:15), it was pretty clear that by about 7:30, there were a couple tables who were clearly done with dinner and sitting there waiting around forcing other parties of 4 to wait for other tables.

Anyway to answer the question, I think 7:15 was early enough for us. We were barely done with our salad and entree by 7:55, and there was still plenty of room toward the front of the observation deck. Keep in mind that during the off-season Wishes doesn't play on weeknights so as someone earlier said, check the schedule.

JPVonDrake

I'll second what Mousemerf stated...

Also keep in mind, firework times are released about 60 days in advance, but guest may begin to make seating times at 90 days in advance, the chances of timing it right is not worth the effort.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
This is what I have found works best. Make your AR about 1 hour prior to Wishes. Do not worry about getting a table next to the window in fact, for reasons mentioned earlier, it is better if you don't. As soon as you get to your table tell your server that you would like to watch Wishes from the observation deck and if he or she could work your dinner around the show. If your server accommodates you , which they most likely will, tip them very well on the order of 20% or better. Chances are your server is going to have to give up at least one party to accommodate your needs and they should not suffer financially for it. If you are going in winter bring a heavy coat with you. In might only be 50 degrees on the ground but you are now more than 16 stories in the air and there is nothing to break the wind up so the wind chill can get well below freezing very easily. The view from the top of the CR is breathtaking and IMHO watching wishes from observation deck is better than the view on Main Street.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom