California Grill to debut new fixed price three course menu.

TrojanUSC

…ok…this penetrated the shields…but I’m intrigued…

lay this out for me?

There's two types of problematic guests for CG and they often overlap:

1) Guests who just eat apps/dessert to have a good view for fireworks.

2) People who hold tables for three hours while waiting for fireworks. '

What they saw post-reopening is that while they were still selling out basically every night, more people were coming just to eat a nice meal. Less people were there to split a flatbread and a piece of cake, just so they could enjoy a fireworks view. Also, with no fireworks, gone were the people who would hold tables for 3+ hours.

When the fireworks came back, they saw a massive revenue decrease as these types of guests started showing back up. It was more common than people thought, as the average check went down quite a bit. Even surprising a lot of the longtime F&B managers.

So while they have chosen not to set a time limit on the length of a visit, they have created basically a "cover charge," via the prix fixe, to make up for this lost revenue.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There's two types of problematic guests for CG and they often overlap:

1) Guests who just eat apps/dessert to have a good view for fireworks.

2) People who hold tables for three hours while waiting for fireworks. '

What they saw post-reopening is that while they were still selling out basically every night, more people were coming just to eat a nice meal. Less people were there to split a flatbread and a piece of cake, just so they could enjoy a fireworks view. Also, with no fireworks, gone were the people who would hold tables for 3+ hours.

When the fireworks came back, they saw a massive revenue decrease as these types of guests started showing back up. It was more common than people think and even surprised a lot of the longtime F&B managers.

So while they have chosen not to set a time limit on the length of a visit, they have created basically a "cover charge," via the prix fixe, to make up for this lost revenue.
Ahhh…I like this…

the “revenue control” angle.

i’ll go with it. As long as a fixed price doesn’t show up in a place with zero view ambience?

le cellier…i’m looking at you

(for now…we’ll ignore they already tested this at Be Our Cafeteria…for now)

…of course…there may be other reasons those things are happening…I bet the “F&B Managers” may not have considered…

Last edited:

JohnD

Ahhh…I like this…

i’ll go with it. As long as a fixed price doesn’t show up in a place with zero view ambience?

…of course…there may be other reasons those things are happening…I bet the “F&B Managers may not have considered…
Or Steakhouse 71.

JoeCamel

Ahhh…I like this…

…of course…there may be other reasons those things are happening…I bet the “F&B Managers may not have considered…
Bob took Bob out to lunch at Golden Corral and Bob was amazed. "I can choose from these options for one base price?"
An idea was born...

Last edited:

Skywise

We’re sympatico here…

it makes us look cheap…which I know isn’t my case. Many a large bill has and will be covered…but I don’t need a hedge fund manager trying to grab my wallet as I pass him coming off the elevator entering the restaurant.

the “short terming” is taking me back to my dark “LOL” days (some here know where that goes…and it’s not good for anyone)

the timing and aloof nature of the management is stretching even the “skeptical diehard” in me.
That was one of the things during my first trip to WDW that both surprised me and at the same time was blatantly obvious. That all the breakfast buffets and many of the restaurants were setup to generate "assembly line" meals with many restaurants offering the exact same items. Surprising because I had heard of the great dining experiences (that was a few years after the dining plan had been enacted) but obvious because - you've got to have food prepared for hundreds of thousands of people a day. Not just prep but sourcing, supply and delivery. The only way to do that and keep a decent margin of profit consistently across all the restaurants is to assembly line the process - make the meals from a central kitchen, etc;

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They still claim there's a dress code for signatures like Flying Fish and California Grill on the website (or at least they did last time I looked).

They definitely do not enforce it, though.
They never did…just V&A’s…

people spending discretionary cash in a compound don’t tend to be happy being told what to wear…

…the brutal heat heightens that instinct

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom