California Grill fireworks

Sarahjice

Original Poster
We have reservations at the California Grill on Friday Jan 27th. We have never been to that restaunt before and are looking forward to seeing the fireworks. Which reservation should i keep 6:15 or 7:40?

The Colonel

I would keep 6:15. I would not like my expensive meal interrupted by the fireworks. You can still see the fireworks from the observation deck no matter what time your reservation is- they will let you back up with your receipt. Just my personal preference.

Chi84

Premium Member
We've been to the prix fixe twice and both times it took around 90 minutes (we didn't rush).

Either time would work, but I would keep the 7:40. If you check in and get seated a bit early (happened to us both times) the timing would have you well into the appetizer course, so it probably wouldn't be that much of an interruption.

JIMINYCR

I would keep 6:15. I would not like my expensive meal interrupted by the fireworks. You can still see the fireworks from the observation deck no matter what time your reservation is- they will let you back up with your receipt. Just my personal preference.
If the OP wants to finish their meal, leave, hang around and return. I’d rather watch while dining . If I leave I’m going to be off doing something else instead of staying in the hotel. Just my preference.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
Let your waiter know you'd like to step out to see fireworks and they'll likely work with you to space out what comes out so you're not served anything at 8:10. At Rose and Crown I've been asked to pay the bill, at least what's ordered at the time before stepping out. Unsure if Cali Grill would do the same.

Chi84

Premium Member
Let your waiter know you'd like to step out to see fireworks and they'll likely work with you to space out what comes out so you're not served anything at 8:10. At Rose and Crown I've been asked to pay the bill, at least what's ordered at the time before stepping out. Unsure if Cali Grill would do the same.
They don’t. I’ve never heard of this practice. Is it because people are leaving Rose and Crown without paying?

I don’t think this would be a problem at Cali Grill. It’s a long way down.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
They don’t. I’ve never heard of this practice. Is it because people are leaving Rose and Crown without paying?

I don’t think this would be a problem at Cali Grill. It’s a long way down.
I guess it's happened enough at R and C. We were given a heads up by a friend and were asked to pay before so it wasn't a surprise. It is a lot easier to escape into the crowd EPCOT than it is at California Grill where you'd wait for an elevator. That probably deters many from attempting.

HouCuseChickie

I would personally go with the earlier time if fireworks are at 8:15. 7:40 feels like it's cutting it too close, especially with people camping out at their tables for fireworks. We've been to California Grill a number of times and I can only recall one time where we were seated on time. Maybe things have improved since they've gone prix fixe, but we've had a number of 30 minute waits for our table. Ex. 7:35 ADR, seated after 8pm, being served dessert at 10pm just as fireworks were starting. At least with the earlier time, you can enjoy most of your meal before the show.

JohnD

We have reservations at the California Grill on Friday Jan 27th. We have never been to that restaunt before and are looking forward to seeing the fireworks. Which reservation should i keep 6:15 or 7:40?
I would do 7:40 so that your dinner is timed with the fireworks and you maximize your time. With 7:40, at most, you'll probably get soup/salad and apps plus a drink. Then main course served after the fireworks. With 6:15, you could complete your meal before the fireworks. Then what? Do they let you keep your table? Do you leave with the promise they'll let you come back? From what I read, you would show your receipt. I don't know about you but when my meal is done, I would rather not kill time before I have to come back.

Sandurz

Maybe uncommon opinion, but I didn't love watching the fireworks from California Grill. Going during this past Halloween season, it was the only night we were able to see the usual MK fireworks, and for a show I'd never seen before, it was a really bad way to actually watch it! For better or for worse, they do basically plan the meal around them unless you say "yeah I'm not gonna watch them", so either time will be fine.

6:15, you'll probably be wrapping up just in time and can settle the check and leisurely make your way outside to the deck

7:40 would be a better usage of park time. You'll get situated, place your orders, hopefully get your drinks, and watch the show, and then carry on un-interrupted from there.

They're both better than having the "mid-meal" show which is a bit annoying.

The view from up there of the park in general is amazing but watching the fireworks themselves? Not for me. Personally next time I go to CG, I'll do an early/late dinner to avoid the fireworks outright.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom