California Grill fireworks viewing

midnightsun

Hey everyone,

I'm hoping to hear from some people that have eaten at CG and viewed the fireworks. Is the restaurant set up so that no matter where you sit you're going to get a good view (meaning I'm not going to be craning my neck, have to stand up, etc)?

I called a Disney representative and they told me that we can show up early and request to try and get the best view which makes me think that there are some places that make it hard to enjoy the fireworks show.

Our trip is in 22 days but we're now wondering if we want to do CG since it'll take 2 TS credits for the dining plan and we're not confident now it will be a great place to watch the show.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

draybook

I'm interested to see if the layout of the place has changed. We ate their in September of 2011 during Wishes. Literally everyone but us went out on the viewing ledge, so we had the place to ourselves. Plus, the server had given us a great table that had a perfect view. We're going back this September so I'm hoping we get another great view.

Upvote 0

Mukta

Not every table has a great view. The ones next to the window are much better. The observation deck will be a better option if you don't get a seat by the windows.

Upvote 0

Betsyboo

We were on the opposite side of the restaurant in the Sonoma room I think. No view of fireworks so we went out on the observation deck. The room was great though as it was much quieter and we had a view of the lake, part of Illuminations and the Electric Water Parade.

Upvote 0

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
If you're on the standard dining plan, it's pretty much impossible for any signature (i.e. 2 credit) restaurant to be "worth it" from a dollar-per-credit perspective. Though they're certainly more expensive than "regular" restaurants, they're very rarely double the price.

Additionally, the fireworks were never really intended to be viewed from that far east. It's a neat experience, but the angle is pretty harsh and you don't get the full effect that you would if you were watching the show from Main Street. Cali Grill is a fine "add on" way to enjoy Wishes, but I'd still suggest not counting on it as your one and only viewing of them.

ETA: Just to be clear, I'm saying that I don't think any view of Wishes from CG is a "good" view, even if you're right on the window facing the park. It's a neat/unique/different view, but not really oriented the way the show is designed to face.

Upvote 0

andy773

We were there in February and it seems to me that even with a window table with a "great" view, half of the dining party is going to have to turn around to get the view. The windows are along the west wall of the dining room and most of the tables are oriented "east-west." So for a table of four, the 2 people facing north would have a nice view while the two people facing south would have no view unless they turn backwards in their seats. This picture shows what I'm talking about. I think this view is facing south.

Seating-and-Windows-California-Grill-600x419.jpg

Upvote 0

DisDadWoz

I would recommend using one of the two observation decks to watch even if you are up against the window. It is a different perspective of the show and interesting to see. The wait staff is very good about holding off on parts of you meal so that you can enjoy the show and not miss any of the dining experience.

Upvote 0

Flight Safety

Great food. Excellent view of wishes. Decent service. I too would recommend arriving early and requesting a table to the right of the lounge (closer to MK) and on the window. If you get there extra early, you can enjoy a drink at the bar before your table is ready. I however almost always end up on the observation deck during the show.

Upvote 0

Computer Magic

We just returned last month and ate at CG. We were not at a window seat so we went onto the Observation Deck with piped in music. Really enjoyed it. The waitress was great holding our dessert until the fireworks was over.

I'm a person that don't mind using 2 credits per person for signature dinning. I still get a good savings by the end of the trip. You might have to skip a TS dinner one night but there a plenty of cheap places for a meal like Earl Sandwich.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom