California Adventure????

SykedOwt

Original Poster
I'm Going to Be Going to California During the Upcoiming Month :sohappy:
I Was Wondering if California Adventure is "Worth It"? I know Disneyland is a Definite Visit but I've Heard Mixed Reviews About CA. I'm Just looking for some insight. Thanx From NY!

Merlin

Account Suspended
Well let's put it this way, they have a Mission Tortilla Factory exhibit where you basically go in and watch some tortillas go along a conveyer belt and then you get a free sample at the end...and it is listed in the guidebook as an ATTRACTION! With the exception of Soarin' Over California and a few imports from WDW, all the rides are pretty much off-the-shelf rides designed and built by someone other than Disney. They've basically taken the amusement park concept which Walt despise and then built one right next to his beloved dream. I would recommend that you apply the money you would have spent on DCA and use it to get into an extra day at Disneyland.

Tigggrl

I for one enjoy DCA...and thats coming from a WDW annual passholder of 6 years running, and a current DL passholder! I think it is a really neat place, and I enjoy the Animation attractions and the boardwalk...IF you want something different, then go to the park! Its more than just rides and attractions...and they do have a cool coaster...:) Dont forget to see BLAST! They are leaving in August!

dianedisney

DCA Yes

Yes....DCA to me is worth it. The park is only 17months old but is gradually coming along. California Screamin is a great coaster ride and Soaring is a good one too. I like the Hollywood Backlot area especially the Animation Studio. Blast is a must before they leave. Grizzley Peak is a great place to cool off and have fun. The character lunch/dinner venue at Avalon Cove is alot of fun. The price isn't bad and the food I thought was good, plus they have alot of characters there including Ariel. For a quickie burger I highly recommend Taste Pilots Grill over McDonalds. Plus in the evening it is so relaxing walking around the lagoon area. Have a Disney Day!!:)

SykedOwt

Original Poster
Alright Guys and Gals, thanks a lot, I guess I might check it out.

But just to put the park in perspective can you rank it against the other Disney parks in FL and CA, Like a top 6 list or something?

Merlin

Account Suspended
In order to include DCA on the list, I'll have to make it more than a top 6 list. How 'bout this...

1. Epcot
2. Islands of Adventure
3. Disney/MGM Studios
4. Universal Studios Orlando
5. Disney's Animal Kingdom
6. Magic Kingdom
7. Disneyland
8. Cedar Point
9. King's Island
10. Six Flags Magic Mountain
11. Busch Gardens Tampa Bay
12. Knott's Berry Farm
13. Six Flags St Louis
14. Paramount's Great America
15. Six Flags Chicago
16. Six Flags Marine World
17. Astroland Amusement Park
18. Belmont Park
19. Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk
20. MGM Grand Adventures Las Vegas (now closed)
21. Boomer's Mini Golf Ft Lauderdale
22. Your average traveling carnival
23. The 25 cent horsey ride in front of Safeway
24. The run down mall in the seedy part of town
25. A day at the Department of Motor Vehicles
26. Trigonometry class in college
27. Disney's California Adventure
28. Hell

SykedOwt

Original Poster
Originally posted by Merlin
In order to include DCA on the list, I'll have to make it more than a top 6 list. How 'bout this...

1. Epcot
2. Islands of Adventure
3. Disney/MGM Studios
4. Universal Studios Orlando
5. Disney's Animal Kingdom
6. Magic Kingdom
7. Disneyland
8. Cedar Point
9. King's Island
10. Six Flags Magic Mountain
11. Busch Gardens Tampa Bay
12. Knott's Berry Farm
13. Six Flags St Louis
14. Paramount's Great America
15. Six Flags Chicago
16. Six Flags Marine World
17. Astroland Amusement Park
18. Belmont Park
19. Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk
20. MGM Grand Adventures Las Vegas (now closed)
21. Boomer's Mini Golf Ft Lauderdale
22. Your average traveling carnival
23. The 25 cent horsey ride in front of Safeway
24. The run down mall in the seedy part of town
25. A day at the Department of Motor Vehicles
26. Trigonometry class in college
27. Disney's California Adventure
28. Hell

LOL I'll Take It You Have Some Beef with this Park.

DLMAGICDARREN

DCA is my least favorite of the six Disney parks I've been to, but that does not mean at all it's not worth it.

Everybody picks on DCA, for attractions such as The Tortilla factory, but in reality all parks have weak attractions.

MK has Shrunken Ned's Junior Jungle Boats (which aren't even covered with admission)

Epcot has The making of Me (a film, no different then the two, Yes, only two, contrary to what DCA critics like to exagerate as having more)

Disney MGM Studios even counts the Guest Information Board as an attraction.

Animal Kingdom lists Dino-Sue as an attraction

Disneyland (the original) even lists Starcade as an attraction.

So don't let the examples of weak attractions influence you, but rather look at the entire park. It may or may not be for you but there are plenty of strong attractions. Also MGM was the first park to dupicate a California attraction (outside of Magic Kingdom of course).

Soarin Over California
Grizzly River Rapids
California Screamin
It's Tough To Be A Bug
Muppet Vision 3d
Disney Animation
Hyperian Theater - (now playing Blast)

Try to compile a list of really strong attractions at any of the newer parks, and it's hard to come with as long a list as Disneyland or the Magic Kingdom or Epcot. So I wouldn't be so hard on DCA simply becuase of a few weak attractions, because as with all the parks, it has it's strong ones as well. Plus it's right next door to the best Disney park of all, so how can you go wrong?

pheneix

>>>In order to include DCA on the list, I'll have to make it more than a top 6 list. How 'bout this...<<<

You ranked it higher than hell? You must have visited DCA on a good day...

Merlin

Account Suspended
You ranked it higher than hell? You must have visited DCA on a good day...

LOL! Yes, I was being a little too generous there wasn't I?

Tigggrl

Now Now, no need to be so hard on poor DCA!The park certainly has its charms, and the attractions are fun, if you let yourself get totally into the atmosphere! Disney isnt all about thrill rides and attractions...if you dont take some time to explore, you miss out on some of the charms at each park....

Merlin

Account Suspended
I will go again when they build ToT there, but until then, I cannot in good conscience recommend it to anyone.

And what's with putting in "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?" in a park that is supposed to be about California? "Millionaire" is taped in NY! I realize the Florida version ackknowledges that, but Disney MGM is a theme park where the theme is about movies and television, not about a specific location like California or even Hollywood. They should have called the attraction, "Who Wants to Visit a Theme Park Where We're So Desperate We Have to Put in an Attraction Like This and Also Bring Back a Sure Hit Like the Electric Parade That We Said Was Gone Forever?"

DLMAGICDARREN

Originally posted by Merlin
I will go again when they build ToT there, but until then, I cannot in good conscience recommend it to anyone.

And what's with putting in "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?" in a park that is supposed to be about California? "Millionaire" is taped in NY! I realize the Florida version ackknowledges that, but Disney MGM is a theme park where the theme is about movies and television, not about a specific location like California or even Hollywood. They should have called the attraction, "Who Wants to Visit a Theme Park Where We're So Desperate We Have to Put in an Attraction Like This and Also Bring Back a Sure Hit Like the Electric Parade That We Said Was Gone Forever?"

I won't disagree one moment for Millionaire and Electric parade. Two very sorry excuses for quick fixes in a park that didn't open to the expectations they were sure it would. My opinion from the beginning was that the park opened with a great theme and enough attractions, but recd such a bad reputation so quick, that they aren't really thinking the park "improvements" through to thougherly, which will only hurt them even more so in the long run. Flick's and TOT are two more examples of this, I mean TOT will be a lot of fun, for those that don't get to Florida, but what it has to do with a Hollywood backlot, I'll never understand. At least at MGM it's on Sunset Blvd.

pixiedust1010

How quickly we forget...doesn't anyone remember the state of MGM when it first opened? The only actual ride was The Great Movie Ride and then they had the Backlot tour and the Backstage Pass, and that was about it. 13 years later things have changed quite a bit. Give it some time, I'm sure it will get better. DAK still needs to grow also, most people count it as their least favorite WDW park because there just isn't that much to do there at this point.

DLMAGICDARREN

Originally posted by pixiedust1010
How quickly we forget...doesn't anyone remember the state of MGM when it first opened? The only actual ride was The Great Movie Ride and then they had the Backlot tour and the Backstage Pass, and that was about it. 13 years later things have changed quite a bit. Give it some time, I'm sure it will get better. DAK still needs to grow also, most people count it as their least favorite WDW park because there just isn't that much to do there at this point.

Excelent point, and one I bring up a lot when we discuss DCA, or any new Disney park. I don't know a lot about MGM's history, as I never visited until 1998, but I do know as you say, that not even Star Tours was added until a year after the park opened.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom