California’s Great America Closing…In Eleven Years

TP2000

This is sad.

The last time I was there it was the 1980's and I think it was still called Marriott's Great America. I also vividly remember marveling at the young, um, ladies (giving the poor dears the benefit of the doubt) who were hanging out there in the 80's. All about 16 years old, but with very black smudgy eye makeup, and hair that defied gravity and was Aquanetted up to God himself.

Actually, I think that was the last time I went. Now that I think about it more, I'm okay with it closing. TDA is probably happy as it might send a little business their way eventually. Compliments of Aquanet.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Great America was my hang-out back in the late 80's-early 90's. My friends and I got season passes and went multiple times a week during the summer when I was a teen (who remembers The Edge?). The first major roller coaster I ever rode was The Demon.

I can't do most of the attractions there anymore, but I did like their new Winterfest they've been doing during the Christmas season.

I get why some of you didn't like the Paramount buy-out, since it caused the removal of the train, The Edge, The Tarantula, and the Sky Whirl (we called them the bird cages). However, we did gain Top Gun (now Flight Deck), Invertigo, Drop Zone, Days of Thunder, and the short-lived Skyhawk.

Anyway, such a shame it'll be going away. My nephews will never get to experience the "Great America teen years" as I did growing up.

westie

I remember as a kid they had a bar, for kids, where you could get a rootbeer for a nickel. Saw a couple concerts there. Most recently, took my daughter there and was surprised how run down it looked. Ordering food the server dropped the tray and let some F-bombs drop. Older worker immediately told her to take the day off and replaced our meal for free. Sad to see it go the way of the roller rink but land is at a premium in the bay.

DrAlice

So much of my childhood through early college years were spent at this park! It was never Disney quality, but was genuinely charming in its own right in the Marriots years. Like @chadwpalm says, the Paramount years brought a lot of good stuff, despite some of the bad.

I'd be more sad about this loss, but I haven't been back since the early 2000s. That trip was disappointing, as any charm that remained had been completely stripped away from the park. The park just sort-of became a washed-up, lounge singer version of its former self. :(

I just hope the double-decker carousel gets a home somewhere. Discovery Kingdom doesn't have a carousel. They should take it! (EDIT: I just remembered that they DO have one. It's just tiny. This would be better.)

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I enjoyed working there in my teens, but can see why Cedar Fair decided to sell. With the debt load they have, and the landlocked nature of GA preventing much future development, and the return they got on their investment, it makes sense to sell now. Especially since they can continue operations for at least a few more years.

I just wonder if the deal includes selling the parking lots to the stadium.

Dear Prudence

I have lived in the Bay Area me entire life. Tech is leaving the area because everyone is working from home now. All the visas from the tech companies were up and folks went back. A bunch of folks moved back to the Midwest. Some of the companies are moving to other states to circumnavigate labor laws. But wealth management companies now own everything and are still asking for outrageous prices which are absolutely delusional. Everyone is gone. Everything that made the Bay what it was is being crushed and pushed out. Their (dumb) beloved football teams aren't even loyal to them.

I know folks whose families have been here for almost 200 years don't understand this, but this is deeply sad and honestly kind of scary? :/

DrAlice

I have lived in the Bay Area me entire life. Tech is leaving the area because everyone is working from home now. All the visas from the tech companies were up and folks went back. A bunch of folks moved back to the Midwest. Some of the companies are moving to other states to circumnavigate labor laws. But wealth management companies now own everything and are still asking for outrageous prices which are absolutely delusional. Everyone is gone. Everything that made the Bay what it was is being crushed and pushed out. Their (dumb) beloved football teams aren't even loyal to them.

I know folks whose families have been here for almost 200 years don't understand this, but this is deeply sad and honestly kind of scary? :/
Agreed. My family is (was) deeply rooted in the bay area, but most of us have moved away now. The cost of living there is just too high.

DrAlice

I enjoyed working there in my teens, but can see why Cedar Fair decided to sell. With the debt load they have, and the landlocked nature of GA preventing much future development, and the return they got on their investment, it makes sense to sell now. Especially since they can continue operations for at least a few more years.

I just wonder if the deal includes selling the parking lots to the stadium.
I was wondering about the parking lots too. Wasn't this a bit of a contentious issue when the stadium was added?

Phroobar

That is true and very scary. We've made it rich here and now it is time to leave and retire to a small town where you can litterly buy half the town.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I was wondering about the parking lots too. Wasn't this a bit of a contentious issue when the stadium was added?
Cedar had a deal to sell the park to a real estate developer back in 2011, which would have given partial ownership to the 49ers. But that deal fell through, and so Cedar setup a long term deal with the 49ers for parking lot access during stadium events.

donaldtoo

If this is the same park I remember from when we lived in San Jose, CA from back in the day, it had one the first roller coasters with inversions I ever rode on called “Turn of the Century”, and it was all the rage in that area at the time…and it was indeed cool…!!! :)

NobodyElse

Agreed! That fabulous carousel would look great at Gilroy Gardens that's now owned by Cedar Fair.

I don't think that's the case any more. Their web page footer says:

©Gilroy Gardens, Inc. | A 501(c)(3) Nonprofit Corporation Created & Built by Michael Bonfante. Federal Tax ID 31-1574450.

And, here's a link to a paywall-guarded article, but it seems to speak to the matter.

Otherwise, that's a fine idea. Anyway, there's a high likelihood it will be relocated somewhere.

PiratesMansion

My home park is Six Flags Great America, and I'm really upset to be losing the former twin.

My one visit to California's Great America was in 2015 when I was in town for my aunt's wedding-turns out she only lives about 10 minutes away! Although much of the Marriott-ness had been stripped out by that point (and Six Flags seems to have ramped up its efforts to do the same in IL), there was still a lot of charm and it was fun to play the comparison game. Gold Striker is genuinely a great ride that will be a huge loss. I also didn't get a chance to ride Flight Deck, whatever they're calling Vortex now, and Rail Blazer didn't yet exist. I'm hoping to go back out there next year and, well, pay my respects.
Cedar Fair sold the land for $310 million. You would think, that area being so moneyed and the only other amusement park being Six Flags Vallejo, that Cedar Fair would realize they were sitting on a gold mine: literally the one of the best markets in the country just begging for a theme park. Somehow though, it looks like the company is struggling, and they decided to take the money now instead of trying to do something incredible. A shame. The Bay Area certainly could support multiple high quality theme parks, and there's obviously plenty of investment money in that area.
In fairness, gold mine is a bit of a stretch-it was a bit of a money pit as far back as Marriott, who was never happy with the park's performance, and initially they, back in the 80s, sold it to developers who wanted to level it. The only reason the park is still around is that the city negotiated with said developer to buy the park themselves and hired out others to manage it. The city only sold the park land to Cedar Fair a few years ago when they too needed money. But make no mistake, had the city not owned it and remained passionate for it, the park likely would have closed long before now.

They've been hemmed in on all sides and dealt with all sorts of restrictions and complaints from their neighbors over the years that have hampered expansion. There was a park representative interviewed for the Season Pass Podcast at one point who claimed that because of how the Bay area is set up, whereas your average park will draw visitors from x mile radius, Great America only gets visitors from about half what your average park would, and that has presented challenges for them. Rightly or wrongly, the park has been seen as something of an unwanted burden for some time by every company that has managed it. While there's a lot worth celebrating about the park, it's not like the park was managed by idiot, incompetent companies-far from it. Marriott, Kings Entertainment/Paramount, Cedar Fair-all companies that have or had highly successful parks in other locations. If all of them struggled to make it work and/or eventually gave up at Great America, perhaps there's a reason.
Agreed! That fabulous carousel would look great at Gilroy Gardens that's now owned by Cedar Fair.

Or, heck, perhaps it could go to Knott's Berry Farm? Maybe surround it with water along their boardwalk section?
There was some detective work done by some coaster nerd site, and they discovered that the city of Gilroy and Cedar Fair quietly decided not to renew the management agreement last year. The park will stay open, with no apparent intent to close, but Cedar Fair is out of the picture.

Last edited:

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
If this is the same park I remember from when we lived in San Jose, CA from back in the day, it had one the first roller coasters with inversions I ever rode on called “Turn of the Century”, and it was all the rage in that area at the time…and it was indeed cool…!!! :)
Turn of the Century became The Demon in 1980 and they converted the airtime hills into vertical loops.

I even remember visiting Frontier Village many times in San Jose way back in the day…!!! :)
I have some old pics and 8mm movies from going there with my family. I actually live less than a mile from where the site was. It's a regional park surrounded my condos now.

Dear Prudence

Or, heck, perhaps it could go to Knott's Berry Farm? Maybe surround it with water along their boardwalk section?
Gilroy Gardens already has two carousels, but I am 10000% in support of them acquiring this one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom