Cal River Rapids

CmdrTostada

Original Poster
I hear people on this sight that talk about how much they like Cali River Rapids. But I dont think Cali is nearly as good as the river rapids at IOA or even the one at Busch Gardens Tampa Bay. I just think that the ride is way too short, and not very exciting

60th Post:sohappy: :sohappy:

njchris65

I've never been on the Kali River Rapids, but the IOA one (popeye ride?) I got soaked on a few years ago. Do you get as wet on the Kali one?

WDWspider

:( Just look at the one at California Adventure. They may not have many rides there yet, but their Rapids make Cali River look sick. I was expecting a lot more as well, especially since I rode the IOA one before riding the Animal Kingdom version. I thought we would ride by real tigers as well, that would have made a big difference.

Maria

If you want it to be more exciting and longer, try riding it in January or February when it is cooooold! :animwink:

bearboysnc

Bluto's Bilgerat Barges at IOA KICKS @SS.

That is the best "raft" ride, in terms of length, theme, and wet factor.

Buzzsaw falls has a really wild drop-up-drop, but the AA and the scenery were pretty BAD when we went.

Actually most the AA figures were pretty bad at IOA. They're cheap to begin with and they don't maintain them. The figures in Jurrasick Park, Cat in the Hat, & Buzzsaw were all VERY sad. :(

PS: Bluto's Barges are smart/nice enough to have a WATERPROOF VELCRO CLOSED compartment built into the center of the raft for clothes and cameras etc. (you don't have to cough up money for a locker)

SnowWhite5669

We went on Kali River Rapids last June for the first time. When we got on the CM said to the guy to my left- "Watch out you will get soaked." Well he didn't get a drop on him and I was absolutley soaking wet!! We had to leave the park and go back to PO so that I could change. Another hint don't bring anything on the ride that you don't want to get wet!!! Rent a locker!:lol:

all_good_chic

it's all about how YOU and the people your with, make it fun. This group i went on it with all wanted to get wet so badly but one guy hated getting soaked and prayed he wouldn't get wet. BUt ofcourse he was the only one who got wet and it made the ride the best ever just to see his face. So don't complain, go with people you have fun with and make it a great ride!:)

WDWspider

That's what makes any Raft Ride Fun, I was just expecting something creative and unique when I ride a Disney version of a ride. The line is very unique, but the ride could have had a little more. Animatronics, Animals, or something totally new (DL's version spins you on the drop). Sure, it's fun when you try not to get wet, that's the point of a Raft Ride in my opinion, but where's the Magic, where's the Animals.

dmspilot00

I don't post much here, but I have to add my two cents.

I expected much more from Disney than to build an off-the-shelf rapid ride that can be found at any other amusement and theme park in the country. It is very unoriginal and disappointing. It would be one thing if it was the only prefab ride, but half the other rides there are "imported" (from other companies) as well.

Yeah I know they did have to build the track, but still...

ToTBellHop

just to let you guys know, this is no where near an "off-the-shelf" ride. Disney Imagineers created the entire drop system and other raft rides do not have drops. The ride was originally to have tigers, but this ended up being too dangerous. I do agree that it is short, but I think it's a fun ride. The drop that makes the massive wave is much more exciting that other cheap raft rides that just dump water on your head. I love Kali River Rapids!.

leeocean

Originally posted by SnowWhite5669
We went on Kali River Rapids last June for the first time. When we got on the CM said to the guy to my left- "Watch out you will get soaked." Well he didn't get a drop on him and I was absolutley soaking wet!! We had to leave the park and go back to PO so that I could change. Another hint don't bring anything on the ride that you don't want to get wet!!! Rent a locker!:lol:

I hear that! I got so soaked and so did everything in my backpack. Of course, I had to go back Dixie to change afterwords and it was freezing that day too! I would say leave until the end of the day unless you want to be soggy shoed walking around the park. Those little kids in bathing suits were so smart!

Maria

Originally posted by all_good_chic
it's all about how YOU and the people your with, make it fun. This group i went on it with all wanted to get wet so badly but one guy hated getting soaked and prayed he wouldn't get wet. BUt ofcourse he was the only one who got wet and it made the ride the best ever just to see his face. So don't complain, go with people you have fun with and make it a great ride!:)

I agree! I did it for cast preview wearing a poncho and sweatshirts cause it was freezing outside, and had tons of fun! Managed to get out of there dry (under the poncho, of course) :D

Then did it hundreds of times with friends and family, one of those times with my cousin, me wearing a swimsuit and a dress.... it was so hot outside that I got dry in less than an hour!

And don´t you love squirting people from the bridge? :D :goodnevil

CAPTAIN HOOK

To quote from "The Unofficial Guide To WDW" -
"What distinguishes K.R.R. from other raft rides is Disneys trademark attention to detail. While many raft rides plunge down a concrete ditch, K.R.R. flows through a dense rain forest, past waterfalls, temple ruins and bamboo thickets, emerging into a cleared area where greedy loggers have ravaged the forest and finally drifting back under a tropical canopy as the river cycles back to Anandapur."
Whats the difference between "Journey to Atlantis" and "Splash Mountain" - Disneys attention to detail.
A ride is a ride is a ride - its how you present that ride to the public that makes the difference - in Disneys case its a BIG difference.

WDWspider

Originally posted by CAPTAIN HOOK
To quote from "The Unofficial Guide To WDW" -
"What distinguishes K.R.R. from other raft rides is Disneys trademark attention to detail. While many raft rides plunge down a concrete ditch, K.R.R. flows through a dense rain forest, past waterfalls, temple ruins and bamboo thickets, emerging into a cleared area where greedy loggers have ravaged the forest and finally drifting back under a tropical canopy as the river cycles back to Anandapur."
Whats the difference between "Journey to Atlantis" and "Splash Mountain" - Disneys attention to detail.
A ride is a ride is a ride - its how you present that ride to the public that makes the difference - in Disneys case its a BIG difference.

Most of us have been comparing it to Popeye and the Raft Ride at DL, neither of these have concrete, but both have more detail than the one at Animal Kingdom, there's nothing extra except some fire, it just could have been a lot more. Of course it's wonderful compared to the latest additions at AK.

McArcDes

When we were at AK last June we were able to ride Kali three times with out even getting off. The CM's just let us cycle through. You get really wet if you are on the down hill side of the raft going down the big hill. The first two times we rode through we were on the up hill side of the raft and did not get wet at all. The third time I was dead center of the down hill side and ended up soaked to the bone. The other people in the boar thought it was hilarious! They said I disappeared in a wall of water.

On another note the Kali rafts do have a compartment in the center of the raft to put your things so they dont get wet.

It is a lot of fun and when we went back with our kids last November they loved it too.

Nansafan

Like Kali but the ride is too short. Bluto/Popeye ride at IOA much longer and much wetter. You can ride Kali and not get wet if you are lucky. No such luck on the Popeye one. Rode both in Ladies Lined Shorts (a cheap man's bathing suit bought on sale at the Contemporary) and dried off quickly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom