Cabins at Fort Wilderness

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
We often travel as a family of 6 and while we haven't ever actually stayed at the cabins, I have researched them many times to consider staying there but two rooms or the suites at AoA just work better for us (we need 2 bathrooms, and if there's a bedroom in the room, my husband and I are sleeping in it -- not the kids -- so the cabins just won't work for us.). Everything I've read says the bunk bed mattresses are not a standard twin size. They measure 66" x 39" and sleep a little shorter than that because of the railings at the head and foot of the bed. If you're interested, this site has a very thorough review of the cabins: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2014/09/17/review-the-cabins-at-disneys-fort-wilderness-resort-3/

Thank you for this. We have just recently changed our whole trip around and are now staying at the Swan. We get two rooms, two bathrooms... no kitchen, but it is what it is... We're happy with the location to Epcot (our favorite park) and HS. Thanks for the awesome link though! I am still going to look into it for future reference!

allgiggles

Thank you for this. We have just recently changed our whole trip around and are now staying at the Swan. We get two rooms, two bathrooms... no kitchen, but it is what it is... We're happy with the location to Epcot (our favorite park) and HS. Thanks for the awesome link though! I am still going to look into it for future reference!

Glad you found something that will work for you on this trip. Maybe you'll have time to go have lunch at Ft. Wilderness while you're at Disney. That might give you a better feel for the resort and whether it will work for you. We try to eat a meal at a "new" resort every time we're at Disney. It's a great way to visit resorts that you're interested in staying at. And maybe if you're lucky, you'll get to peak inside a cabin. One time when we were visiting AKL, we came across a room where it was obvious that Mousekeeping was turning over the room (not just doing a daily cleaning). We asked if we could come in to the room just for a quick peak. The Mousekeeper was fine with that (and it showed us that the sleeping area of those rooms is too small for us). I'm sure you'll be happy with all the space and 2 bathrooms at the Swan. The kitchen in the cabin is not an incentive for me to stay there -- I don't cook on vacation...not even on a staycation! :D I know a lot of people who enjoy going back to the cabin for meals to save money. Our family doesn't want to waste the time....and like I mentioned, I don't cook on vacation! :) Enjoy your trip!

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
Glad you found something that will work for you on this trip. Maybe you'll have time to go have lunch at Ft. Wilderness while you're at Disney. That might give you a better feel for the resort and whether it will work for you. We try to eat a meal at a "new" resort every time we're at Disney. It's a great way to visit resorts that you're interested in staying at. And maybe if you're lucky, you'll get to peak inside a cabin. One time when we were visiting AKL, we came across a room where it was obvious that Mousekeeping was turning over the room (not just doing a daily cleaning). We asked if we could come in to the room just for a quick peak. The Mousekeeper was fine with that (and it showed us that the sleeping area of those rooms is too small for us). I'm sure you'll be happy with all the space and 2 bathrooms at the Swan. The kitchen in the cabin is not an incentive for me to stay there -- I don't cook on vacation...not even on a staycation! :D I know a lot of people who enjoy going back to the cabin for meals to save money. Our family doesn't want to waste the time....and like I mentioned, I don't cook on vacation! :) Enjoy your trip!

What a great idea... And I don't particularly like to cook on vacations either, but I liked the idea of having a microwave to heat up baby food/bottles and that we could possibly order pizza one or two nights and eat it at the kitchen table in the cabins which would save us tons... But now, we can order pizza and eat it at the pool at the Swan!!!! Lol

CaptainAmerica

I can see if everyone is on the smaller side and you have younger kids that 6 people could fit. However I personally called this past January to see if we could reserve a 3 row 6 seater and they told us they don't rent those. Just the 2 row standards size carts. You sure the cart you saw was rented from Disney and not a third party?

Maybe they changed their policy? I know you can rent from a third party. It is just a hassle since they can no longer meet you in FW anymore.
Disney rents 6-seaters, but they do not reserve them. You have to ask for it when you get there and hope you get lucky.

Personally, I find a rental car to be more valuable at Ft. Wilderness than a cart.

allgiggles

What a great idea... And I don't particularly like to cook on vacations either, but I liked the idea of having a microwave to heat up baby food/bottles and that we could possibly order pizza one or two nights and eat it at the kitchen table in the cabins which would save us tons... But now, we can order pizza and eat it at the pool at the Swan!!!! Lol

The microwave is one of the reasons we currently prefer a suite at AoA over two rooms. We don't use the microwave often and could certainly survive without it, but it's nice to be able to heat up water for oatmeal (we eat breakfast in the room); reheat leftovers; and make some microwave popcorn for a snack. I would never use an oven/convection oven at Disney world.

R W B

Disney rents 6-seaters, but they do not reserve them. You have to ask for it when you get there and hope you get lucky.

Personally, I find a rental car to be more valuable at Ft. Wilderness than a cart.
Interesting, I'll have to remember this.

The rental car only is more valuable If you plan to drive to the parks, other than that I don't see the advantage on FW Grounds. Personally we always drive to wdw (10hrs) and still rent a cart.

BigRedDad

Not taking completely away from your theme, but the cost of a Cabin for 6 people is almost the same as 2 rooms at a Value resort. The difference is you get 4 beds, 2 bathrooms, and no need to rent a golf cart. After all the costs are added in, the 2 rooms will be cheaper than the Cabins. It will also be a lot less cramped.

CaptainAmerica

Interesting, I'll have to remember this.

The rental car only is more valuable If you plan to drive to the parks, other than that I don't see the advantage on FW Grounds. Personally we always drive to wdw (10hrs) and still rent a cart.
We drive to all of the parks except Magic Kingdom, so the car works out for us. When my daughter is bigger and we're doing more of the activities at the resort itself, I can see where the cart comes in handy. So expensive though.

Not taking completely away from your theme, but the cost of a Cabin for 6 people is almost the same as 2 rooms at a Value resort. The difference is you get 4 beds, 2 bathrooms, and no need to rent a golf cart. After all the costs are added in, the 2 rooms will be cheaper than the Cabins. It will also be a lot less cramped.
Your math excludes the value of a kitchen. When I stay in the cabins or a DVC villa, I save a ton of money making my own breakfast.

But I agree with your broader point. Six people in one cabin is cramped.

BigRedDad

Yes, the kitchen helps if you want to cook. If cooking to save money is important, for the price of 2 nights at the Cabins, they can get better than Disney accommodations in a 2BR unit, on property.

CaptainAmerica

Yes, the kitchen helps if you want to cook. If cooking to save money is important, for the price of 2 nights at the Cabins, they can get better than Disney accommodations in a 2BR unit, on property.
If you're talking about Wyndham Bonnet Creek, those units are not better than Disney accommodations. Not by a long shot.

Great value though.

BigRedDad

Would love to know which Disney 2BR rooms compare. In my stays at AKV, WLV, SSR, and other Mods & Values, none of the compare to the rooms at WBC. I don't really want to debate it though. Even taking the cheapest Disney 2BR unit, price comparing, and it is a $5,500 price difference for 7-nights (SSR for 494 points @ $13/pt). On the cheapest seasons, it is still a $4,000 price difference.

For any valid discussion, you would have to get a 2BR DVC resort room at $2/pt. Every $1 of that per point cost is ~$500 in savings.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Would love to know which Disney 2BR rooms compare. In my stays at AKV, WLV, SSR, and other Mods & Values, none of the compare to the rooms at WBC. I don't really want to debate it though. Even taking the cheapest Disney 2BR unit, price comparing, and it is a $5,500 price difference for 7-nights (SSR for 494 points @ $13/pt). On the cheapest seasons, it is still a $4,000 price difference.
There's nothing wrong with WBC rooms at all. They're just kind of dull. Beige on beige on beige on beige. As you said, if cost is the driving factor, they're a fantastic option, especially if you'd rent a car anyways.

That said, your cost estimates are based on very specific points rental scenarios. Using my next travel dates (8/4 - 8/12) as a cash guest shows a much more competitive picture. $529.50 per night for a two bedroom villa at Old Key West (King and two Queens) versus $330.25 for WBC (King and two Full). King and two full wouldn't even be an option for my family so we'll gladly pay the Disney premium.

BigRedDad

Yes, if you use the hotel book rate for WBC. Doing a 2 minute quick look at pricing, Aug 5 - Aug 12 (I know you have Aug 4), a 2BR is $1099. Your cost is $4,236 vs $1,099. Add in $330.25 just for rack rate for Aug 4, you save at least $2,800. That savings alone is 3 Premium APs. You can even move up to a 3BR for $1,399. Now, this is a ceiling price. With more time searching, you can probably save another $200 or so.

correcaminos

I just saw this thread but that's a great choice. We're huge fans of the Swan. I hope you guys enjoy your stay :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom