Cabana Bay Beach Resort...Tell me everything

Ghostdog

Original Poster
We staying for the first time in august at the Cabana Bay Beach Resort...Please tell me everything you know about this place. The family is very excited to stay her.

Weather_Lady

I haven't stayed there, but have been researching Universal myself for an upcoming trip. If you google "yourfirstvisit" and "cabana bay," there's a detailed review that I found helpful.

I love the theming, and I thought the family suites, in particular, looked really darling (although the reviewer at yourfirstvisit didn't think they had sufficient storage or a good layout for families, I would differ on that point - I think they'd be perfect for the way my family of four uses a room, and would offer the addition of a kitchenette and small "living room" area for only a small additional charge, still less than you'd pay for a standard room at a Disney moderate!), and I love that there's a lazy river on property in addition to the pools. (BYO floaties, or buy them on-site).

belledream

I stayed there two years ago when it first opened and it suited our needs just fine. (My only other point of reference for Uni hotels was Royal Pacific - liked the theme better but that's just preference). We had a nice suite with kitchenette/living room area and it was nice to have that extra space with essentially four adults sharing the room. The walk to and from the parks can be lengthy (~15-20 min) depending on how fast you walk, but it's quiet and pleasant at least. It's pretty much the same time to walk to the bus stops in my opinion...so you might as well walk anyways.

Pool was nice and sprawling, there's fire pits everywhere at night which is a cozy touch, and a bowling alley/gift shop/food court all right within the lobby area.

lebeau

Last edited:

Disneyhead'71

The Bowling Alley is a direct lift of the Galaxy Bowl from The Big Lobowski.

There is a full blown Starbucks, and a Lobby Cocktail Lounge.

Each pool has it's own tiki bar.

You have to buy your own inner tube for the lazy river ($8). They sell Drunky Sippy Cups you can take into the lazy river.

cabana_poolcup.jpg

SAV

We absolutely love Cabana Bay. The theme is fantastic and fun. Love the vibe there. We actually chose to stay here when we weren't even doing Universal. We love both of the pool areas and the Lazy River. The bigger pool had a small slide, but fun for the kids. If you want to use the Lazy River, you will either need to buy the tubes on-site or you can bring your own. They were around $8 each for their tubes. If you do bring your own, they will inflate them for you at the shack by the Lazy River. The kids loved playing ping-pong, ladder golf, etc. First time we stayed in the Family Suite and it was great. Next time was in a tower room and that was also very nice. We didn't go bowling, but stopped in and it was cool. The food court is your typical resort food. Not bad, but typical.

Even though you don't get the Express Pass included with Cabana Bay, the extra hour in the morning was a great perk. We were able to get to HP and do everything before the crowds came. We also were able to do Minions within 5 minutes instead of the Hour + wait later in the day. Then while everyone is running to HP, you can backtrack and do Spidey, Hulk, etc with little wait.

BAChicagoGal

I stayed there last year with friends, and the rooms were really nice. They upgraded us to connecting rooms, each with a kitchenette. I had a kitchenette, even though I had booked a standard room. Did not spend much time at the resort. Walked past the pool area to the bus stop, but I am not a swimmer. Enjoyed the food at the food court a whole lot. I found the bed very comfortable. Spent the majority of my time seeing all the Harry Potter offerings. Two full days in the parks. Three nights at the hotel. Bus service was great. I love the set up at Universal. The hotels are super close. Bus trips do not take long at all, and were never crowded. I was there in early September. Weather finally cleared. We went from WDW's Pop Century, where we had rain every day at one time or another. Our Universal days were warm, and sunny. Cabana Bay has a great layout. Not too much walking, regardless of what room you end up in. We had a few last minute issues when we checked in, and the staff was great. I highly recommend this hotel.

danpam1024

Poolside rooms don't necessarily mean you will have a pool view- it's just the side of the building you're on. There's a "happy hour" for bowling so you can play at reduced rates. The Bayliner Diner has SO MANY food options, it will satisfy even the pickiest eater :)

Donald Razorduck

We are basing our stay in Orlando before our Spring Break Disney Cruise at Vocano Bay. It'll be a 5 night stay and we plan on one of the new 2br rooms. The first 3 nights will just be Me, the wife and the two kids. The last two will add my Mother. (Whom the kids will share a room with on the Cruise;)) even though we plan on other parks besides the Uni ones.

Ghostdog

Original Poster
I keep reading that the lazy river in the Canana Bay Beach Resort does not have tubes to float in but can be purchased at the resort. I'm thinking of purchasing floats here at home to take with us on our trip. Does anyone know if there is a restriction on size/types of floats allowed in the lazy river or pool areas?

JoeCamel

I keep reading that the lazy river in the Canana Bay Beach Resort does not have tubes to float in but can be purchased at the resort. I'm thinking of purchasing floats here at home to take with us on our trip. Does anyone know if there is a restriction on size/types of floats allowed in the lazy river or pool areas?
I think 42" is the largest, the river is not very wide so for other guests to pass or you pass then they limit the size. I did see a pair of cool lounge chairs in the south pool though, drink holders and all.

Ghostdog

Original Poster
I think 42" is the largest, the river is not very wide so for other guests to pass or you pass then they limit the size. I did see a pair of cool lounge chairs in the south pool though, drink holders and all.

Great, Thanks! My daughter wants a donut tube , my son just wants a tube and I found some nice loungers for the hubby and I that are about 42" also.

build_it

Can you have a food delivery service drop off at Cabana Bay? Will be staying here for two nights before heading to WDW Swan, and wondered if I could have some drinks/snacks delivered here. Then I won't have to mess with it at WDW...

2Jeremy2

I have stayed at Cabana Bay twice, and really loved it. Each time I stayed in a standard room, which was always clean and in good condition. I love the 50's-60's retro theme, which is cool and upscale for a value resort. The Bayliner Diner food court was good, and there's a Starbucks in the resort, as well as a fantastic gift shop. I loved the pool area, which for me was a nice and chilled-out experience. There were kids and families, but everyone was rather chilled out. You do have to purchase inner-tubes there if you want to use them in the pool and lazy river. In the evenings by the pools they play movies that you can watch from the pool or the chairs. It is a nice relaxed environment.

We took the shuttle bus to the parks every day, and we never had a wait for a shuttle. We visited in November during a non-busy time, so the crowds levels were low. It took 8 minutes to get to the CityWalk on the shuttle. Compared to the commutes at WDW, Universal is less stressful and hectic, but Universal is a smaller footprint than WDW.

I felt relaxed at Cabana Bay, and not rushed. You feel like you are on vacation. It was nice being so close to Citywalk in the evenings too, to be able to go there for dinner. I would totally stay there again, especially now that Volcano Bay is literally right there next to the resort. I imagine that the views of Volcano Bay from Cabana Bay are amazing. I hope you enjoy your trip. :)

Mmkn0806

Is the cabana Bay walking distance to the parks? We have stayed at Portofino and Lowes would we be disappointed with Cabana. We really would like to stay at the hard rock however it's such a big price difference I don't think it's worth it even staying at cabana and buying the fast pass is still less expensive than hard rock. Thanks

lebeau

Is the cabana Bay walking distance to the parks? We have stayed at Portofino and Lowes would we be disappointed with Cabana. We really would like to stay at the hard rock however it's such a big price difference I don't think it's worth it even staying at cabana and buying the fast pass is still less expensive than hard rock. Thanks

It's within walking distance, but it's a longer hike than Royal Pacific. I'd recommend using the shuttles. We never had to wait for one to arrive.

Last edited:

sublimesting

We always walk it! It takes us 20 minutes. It's such a relaxing stroll and we seldom encounter another soul (of course we tend to go in September). It is especially grand at night while everyone runs for the busses we just have a relaxing moonlit stroll back to the hotel and beat everyone back.

zachrupertdsn

Stayed here last October, going back this October. For what's considered "value" hotels between the two companies, this one is easily my favorite. We are doing more days in Disney this time around, but chose to stay at Cabana Bay because we loved the atmosphere and food (gf is vegan) so much.

The days going to Universal is super enjoyable when you can walk over and walk back.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom