#ByeShanghai? July Operating Calendar looks pretty normal

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
Was just browsing the Disneyland.com calendar and July looks like regular summer operations. DL returns to 8am-12am hours daily, with DCA at 8am-10pm. Soundsational and Magical Map are scheduled on weekdays, and DCA gets two WOC shows per night.

Does this mean the Garden Grill will come back? Are the Shanghai cuts being rolled back? Fingers crossed, y'all.

mickEblu

This brings up something I was meaning to post but forgot. I was at the park this past Thursday and I was in the "haunted mansion" store right next to Pieces of Eight and in the tiny outdoor nook that separates the stores, the pirate musicians were playing to only a handful of people. I thought to myself, if Disney is paying these 5 entertainers in this tiny little area that a guest can't even see if they are not in the store, then the budget cuts must not be as bad as I'm reading.

Something about these musicians playing in such a tiny area off the beaten path is what separates Disney from the rest. It was so understated and refreshing to see something like that and cool to know that there is still a place in Walt's park for experiences like that.

SIDE NOTE: to all those who say there is no non crowded day to go Disneyland, I don't think we are quite there yet. My last 3 trips I was able to strategically pick very pleasant days to visit the park that were not too crowded at all. One visit was on a Wednesday, the week before spring break started in March. Another was during the last week of April on a Wednesday and then this past Thursday ( probably because some of three lower tier APs were blacked out). I realize "crowded" is subjective. By non crowded, im talking nice open walkways, except the TL bottle neck, and doing almost all the E tickets at both parks (and a couple smaller rides) in about 10 hours at a non frantic pace including a sit down meal. With some veteran and FP strategizing of course.

Last edited:

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
This brings up something I was meaning to post but forgot. I was at the park this past Thursday and I was in the "haunted mansion" store right next to Pieces of Eight and in the tiny outdoor nook that separates the stores, the pirate musicians were playing to only a handful of people. I thought to myself, if Disney is paying these 5 entertainers in this tiny little area that a guest can't even see if they are not in the store, then the budget cuts must not be as bad as I'm reading.

Something about these musicians playing in such a tiny area off the beaten path is what separates Disney from the rest. It was so understated and refreshing to see something like that and cool to know that there is still a place in Walt's park for experiences like that.

SIDE NOTE: to all those who say there is no non crowded day to go Disneyland, I don't think we are quite there yet. My last 3 trips I was able to strategically pick very pleasant days to visit the park that were not too crowded at all. One visit was on a Wednesday, the week before spring break started in March. Another was during the last week of April on a Wednesday and then this past Thursday ( probably because some of three lower tier APs were blacked out). I realize "crowded" is subjective. By non crowded, im talking nice open walkways, except the TL bottle neck, and doing almost all the E tickets at both parks (and a couple smaller rides) in about 10 hours at a non frantic pace including a sit down meal. With some veteran and FP strategizing of course.

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but live bands are contracted and the last to go, for that reason. Other shows that don't use the AFM Union are cut first.

Last edited:

mickEblu

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but live bands are contracted and the last to go, for that reason. Other shows that don't use the AGM Union are cut first.

Oh, didn't know it worked like that. Still pretty cool that experiences like that exist. Budget cuts or not.

I will say my fried chicken at the plaza inn did not taste as delicious as usual. Not sure if this was related to the budget cuts or they just had an off day.

TP2000

The Anaheim parks have been very busy all year, and the last official financial report from Disney corporate clearly spelled out that the Disneyland Resort is booming while the WDW property slumps (and that was before the horrific attacks on Orlando CM's and customers by terrorists and gators).

Nice to see the Anaheim property is going back to normal operations after the Shanghai Quarter of April thru June.

Old Mouseketeer

1. The bootstrappers play in a variety of locations during the day.

2. The instruments are AFM and the singers are AGVA. Both have long-term contracts.

Old Mouseketeer

The Anaheim parks have been very busy all year, and the last official financial report from Disney corporate clearly spelled out that the Disneyland Resort is booming while the WDW property slumps (and that was before the horrific attacks on Orlando CM's and customers by terrorists and gators).

Nice to see the Anaheim property is going back to normal operations after the Shanghai Quarter of April thru June.

My rebel spies have been told by a manager that some money will shake loose with the new FQ on July 1, rather than the new FY Oct. 1. The cuts have been real. There have been actual staffing cuts, including FT CMs getting less than 40 hours and some CRs getting little or no hours.

mickEblu

1. The bootstrappers play in a variety of locations during the day.

2. The instruments are AFM and the singers are AGVA. Both have long-term contracts.

Looks like the budget cuts didn't last long enough for them to be effected then.

That was the first time I've seen them or at least noticed them. I thought they were really cool.

TP2000

I thought we were in a new financial quarter.

Disney is one of those companies that uses the same fiscal year as the Federal Government; October 1 to September 30. So Disney is about to enter its final fiscal quarter on July 3rd.

Tellingly, July 3rd is the same day Disneyland starts staying open until Midnight again and DCA stays open until 10pm. #ThanksShanghai

dweezil78

I randomly hopped on the carousel the other day in Fantasyland only to find that The Pearly Band was occupying all the horses in front of me. As the carousel started to go, they turned the music off and let them do their thing - which came in the form of "Let's Go Fly a Kite" and "Following the Leader." Gotta say, was definitely one of my favorite "Only at DL" encounters I've ever had!

Phroobar

I randomly hopped on the carousel the other day in Fantasyland only to find that The Pearly Band was occupying all the horses in front of me. As the carousel started to go, they turned the music off and let them do their thing - which came in the form of "Let's Go Fly a Kite" and "Following the Leader." Gotta say, was definitely one of my favorite "Only at DL" encounters I've ever had!
I love when the band rides the carousel. It can't be easy to play an instrument and spin at the same time.

mickEblu

This is awesome.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom