News bye bye bugs: Marvel Land announced, opens 2020

TP2000

Can't wait! Bring on Marvel land!!!!

Agreed, but according to the neighbor lady this is gong to take some time.

Believe it or not, it’s the Mickey’s Runaway Railway E Ticket north of Toontown that will be a thing before the full Marvel Land arrives.

That was definitely NOT the plan a couple years ago, when they were going to try and pull crowds out of Star Wars Land with a big new thing in DCA. But the sudden shift in political climate in Anaheim’s city hall ruined Plan A. So they are now on to Plan B that will add on a few years to the timeline.

That said, later in the 2020’s Marvel Land should be very cool.

britain

Believe it or not, it’s the Mickey’s Runaway Railway E Ticket north of Toontown that will be a thing before the full Marvel Land arrives.

That was definitely NOT the plan a couple years ago, when they were going to try and pull crowds out of Star Wars Land with a big new thing in DCA. But the sudden shift in political climate in Anaheim’s city hall ruined Plan A. So they are now on to Plan B that will add on a few years to the timeline.

Did she happen to say if an Antman and the Wasp shooter like the one going in Hong Kong is a part of the Anaheim plans?

Old Mouseketeer

This should be good. North of Toontown? I foresee some major musical chairs backstage. Uuugghhhhh!

mickEblu

Believe it or not, it’s the Mickey’s Runaway Railway E Ticket north of Toontown that will be a thing before the full Marvel Land arrives. .

Just goes to show it’s never over until the fat lady sings. Who would have thought that Toontown would still be around in the mid 2020’s? The Mickey Ride saved Toontown. How fitting. Which means DHS sucking saved Toontown.

So what are we looking at for the Mickey ride you think? 2023?

Last edited:

Old Mouseketeer

I think someone mentioned there would be a new consolidated structure for entertainment and music. ?And the parade building.

I don't know if that was @TP2000 or @GiveMeTheMusic

I believe someone postulated that there could be some kind of consolidation, but managing the logistics of building something new where there is no room before tearing something down requires moving some function permanently off-site. I can see several approaches, all of them painful for anyone who has to work there day-to-day.

mickEblu

I believe someone postulated that there could be some kind of consolidation, but managing the logistics of building something new where there is no room before tearing something down requires moving some function permanently off-site. I can see several approaches, all of them painful for anyone who has to work there day-to-day.

Bye bye rehearsal hall. Rehearse at school kids. This man needs his Mickey ride.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Just goes to show it’s never over until the fat lady sings. Who would have thought that Toontown would still be around in the mid 2020’s? The Mickey Ride saved Toontown. How fitting. Which means DHS sucking saved Toontown.

Which means the collapse of functioning studios in Orlando saved Toontown.

Which means the failure to make toons in Orlando saved Toontown in Anaheim.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
So if the new Mickey ride is going to be in Toon Town is it going to use the same questionable art style or will they change it to something that would fit the current TT aesthetic? Serious questions.

TP2000

Is the Frozen E Ticket for DL still on the table?

Haven’t heard a word on that over drinks. They seem to be excited about Mickey’s Runaway Railway slotted in on the north side of the park now.

Did she happen to say if an Antman and the Wasp shooter like the one going in Hong Kong is a part of the Anaheim plans?

Nope. That movie and character never came up, it was more about how the Avengers mega-coaster was sent back to the drawing board which puts the whole Marvel Land timeline years later than it was supposed to be. A one-two punch of the Eastern Gateway put on ice, then the Avengers coaster sent back to the designers for a full rethink, equals a scramble to Plan B with nothing to take attention off of Star Wars until the early 2020’s.

I went and saw the new Antman movie just this evening with younger family, and it was surprisingly good. A fun summer family flick!

Last edited:

BrianLo

So if the new Mickey ride is going to be in Toon Town is it going to use the same questionable art style or will they change it to something that would fit the current TT aesthetic? Serious questions.

Presumably it would be a cloned ride. The exterior would be redesigned from the ground up custom to Toowntown, letting them do whatever they like aesthetically.

I don't think the art style really matters all that much once you are inside. Beyond that Toontown already lacks internal consistency with several incongruent stylings from the park fountain, to the old school representations on the clock/store fronts, to 3D representations to costumed Mickey.

It's more the story that you are meant to step through the real world Chinese theatre and then go into a Mickey Mouse Cartoon that is going to be the weird translation. In Toontown you'd step into Toontown to step out of Toontown to step into a Mickey Toon?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Nope. That movie and character never came up, it was more about how the Avengers mega-coaster was sent back to the drawing board which puts the whole Marvel Land timeline years later than it was supposed to be. A one-two punch of the Eastern Gateway put on ice, then the Avengers coaster sent back to the designers for a full rethink, equals a scramble to Plan B with nothing to take attention off of Star Wars until the early 2020’s.

Now, see, if DL had "the blessing of size", they could just stick a coaster anywhere they want without regard to how much space they inefficiently waste.

;)

mickEblu

Presumably it would be a cloned ride. The exterior would be redesigned from the ground up custom to Toowntown, letting them do whatever they like aesthetically.

I don't think the art style really matters all that much once you are inside. Beyond that Toontown already lacks internal consistency with several incongruent stylings from the park fountain, to the old school representations on the clock/store fronts, to 3D representations to costumed Mickey.

It's more the story that you are meant to step through the real world Chinese theatre and then go into a Mickey Mouse Cartoon that is going to be the weird translation. In Toontown you'd step into Toontown to step out of Toontown to step into a Mickey Toon?

Unless, unless of course the entrance to the attraction wasn’t in Toontown and only exits into Toontown. Based on its proposed location this is likely impossible though. Not sure how they re going to work around this issue but I feel that something would be lost without the feeling of stepping into the Toon world from ours. I guess they could still have the whole going into the movie screen thing but instead of going from our world into the toon world we re going from a theatre in Toontown (they could have theatres in Toontown right?) to wherever the first scene takes place in the country side. It would work because you re still magically being transported somewhere. Only difference is the starting point. A Toontown theatre instead of a Hollywood theatre. Doesn’t quite feel as magical as DHS’s version but it works.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
This should be good. North of Toontown? I foresee some major musical chairs backstage. Uuugghhhhh!

I know I was one of people that talked about further consolidation. Its only inevitable, it has to be done as there is no room without it. Basically I see almost everything backstage north of TT on the chopping block at some point in the future, including TDA itself.

Off-site for those functions for CMs is going to be the future of DLR.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

Sorry but I can't see them changing the art style as that is the current style used in the current cartoons.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Unless, unless of course the entrance to the attraction wasn’t in Toontown and only exits into Toontown. Based on its proposed location this is likely impossible though. Not sure how they re going to work around this issue but I feel that something would be lost without the feeling of stepping into the Toon world from ours. I guess they could still have the whole going into the movie screen thing but instead of going from our world into the toon world we re going from a theatre in Toontown (they could have theatres in Toontown right?) to wherever the first scene takes place in the country side. It would work because you re still magically being transported somewhere. Only difference is the starting point. A Toontown theatre instead of a Hollywood theatre. Doesn’t quite feel as magical as DHS’s version but it works.

Unless of course they are redoing all of TT to have you basically enter the queue of this attraction as you go under the bridge. And then exit into a smaller version of TT. Since this appears to be a major project anyways, they might as well redo all of TT.

This of course would mean Roger goes away. But to be honest other than the queue, the ride itself is not a great loss to me.

We should be taking this into the Railway thread.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom