News Buzzy’s been stolen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwilightZone

Did this buzzy photo come from that video?
4562298-9228314-thumbnail.jpg

I was very surprised how hard it was to find this photo since it used to be everywhere. If it came from that video, it could explain why I had trouble finding this photo.

DreamfinderGuy

Did this buzzy photo come from that video?
4562298-9228314-thumbnail.jpg

I was very surprised how hard it was to find this photo since it used to be everywhere. If it came from that video, it could explain why I had trouble finding this photo.
I have no idea where this photo came from, but the video was a poorly shot, 144p, filmed horizontally but uploaded vertically, super short video of people going up the exit ramp and into the theatre. That photo never really made sense to me, since that Buzzy on the left was never ever used, and the one on the right was kinda when he got left in disrepair

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'd like to make a timeline here:

-2007, Cranium Command closes
-Sometime in 2007-2008, the place gets stripped of anything that can be reused
-2009ish, CC gets it's last inspection that I know of. Full lighting can no longer be run due to leaks and lights being an electrical fire hazard
-2009, CC gets essentially sealed off, with minimal lighting in the handicap rows, ambient light seen through the screens from behind the stage, and the AA lights. Plus some random show lighting that was left on for some reason. It's left in disrepair and abandoned with a few things laying here and there. CMs no longer have a reason to enter the theatre, so only higher ups get in.
-2009, First Cranium Command urbex surfaces, as an 11 second video breaking into the theatre via the exit ramp
*Things deteriorate over time, roof breaks, leaks get worse, mold spreads, wall carpet falls, etc*
-2012, Buzzy's Gloves get stolen after park closing in October
-2017, Matt gets in via the preshow theatre's Handicap door (which has a handle on it), films the inside, jumps onto the stage and crawls through Hypothalamus' maintenance door into the backstage areas.
-2018, First Urbex of the year by BDD sometime in July, coincidentally right about the time they were testing him for functionality
-2018, Buzzy's remaining clothes get stolen in August
-2018, Buzzy himself gets stolen in November.

I can't really confirm much else so I don't wanna spread rumors on what happened to Hypothalamus and all, since I don't know the whole story there. Hopefully this clears things up for you people

Edit: It's also worth mentioning that it was rumored that Disney went back in 2017 to see if there were still reels back there, and supposedly they took them and digitized them right afterward. This is how they got the preshow video that they were playing at the EPCOT 35 D23 event. However it seems like they would have a copy of the footage in the archives regardless, so idk how factual that is. That being said, there's only one "reel" of film back there anymore, and it's water damaged, sitting unwinded in a 5 gallon bucket. There are plenty of empty Film Canisters though ;)

Pretty sure we had more than one backstage exploration of CC before 2017. It and image works were both frequently explored due to their easy access. I don’t archive the stuff... but pretty sure of that

Brer Oswald

I am still slightly amazed...and ****ed off...with this thread. The main tone is that it’s Disney’s fault these things have happened and it serves them right. What the actual F? Disney doesn’t owe anyone anything. It’s still private property. Why is everyone so entitled that they think they’re owed an asset that Disney created and own? Since they decommissioned the attraction, anyone should be able to break in and take whatever the F they want? What is the world coming to? Disney should be able to do whatever they want!

I freakin love Disney. And wdw. I basically grew up visiting the resort every year from up north since I was born. So, it’s a massive part of my childhood. Yeah I loved cranium command...and universe of energy...and living seas, etc.... I hated to see them close. And, in most cases, don’t like what replaces them. But, at no point did I ever think that I should break into a facility that is not open to the public and take whatever I want since I didn’t agree with Disney shuttering it.

You guys are all verging on bat$hit crazy! Listen to yourselves! It’s scary!
Unless I’m missing something, I haven’t seen that tone expressed anywhere here. The debate is what happened to Buzzy? It was definitely an unauthorized removal, but we don’t ifbit was stolen, or if it’s just a big misunderstanding do to internal company confusing.

DreamfinderGuy

Pretty sure we had more than one backstage exploration of CC before 2017. It and image works were both frequently explored due to their easy access. I don’t archive the stuff... but pretty sure of that
Good point. Many people took pictures, I just tried to put in the most relevant info

TwilightZone

I have no idea where this photo came from, but the video was a poorly shot, 144p, filmed horizontally but uploaded vertically, super short video of people going up the exit ramp and into the theatre. That photo never really made sense to me, since that Buzzy on the left was never ever used, and the one on the right was kinda when he got left in disrepair
I did a reverse image source and the buzzy on the right was taken during the last few weeks of operation.
Poor buzzy, he has such a bad luck track record.
But anyways, doesn't seem like we are missing much from that video.

LongballMG

The fact that anyone would call into question the credibility of @marni1971 is almost worse than the theft itself.

@marni1971 has done more for this fan community than any other fan.

If everyone continues to bash him he could end up leaving like General Grizz and the legends of yore (If anyone even remembers who Grizz was... He was truly great).

The fan community and this site would be poorer for it.

MouseBrayden

Looking at sonswa's twitter he also did Discovery Island recently.
I wouldn't be surprised if he's the mystery person who sent MickeyViews the behind the scenes WOL photos.
I've watched, and talked to @MouseBrayden regularly for a long time. I know that kid has a good heart, and would NEVER would collab with someone who breaks the law. Not only personally would he want to do that (conscience) but also for the credibility and withstanding of the good perception people have of his name and channel.
To my knowledge, every backstage photo we've ever been sent/published has been taken by our sources permitted backstage.

I have never and will never knowingly work with anyone breaking the law, especially at Disney.

MouseBrayden

The fact that anyone would call into question the credibility of @marni1971 is almost worse than the theft itself.

If everyone continues to bash him he could end up leaving like General Grizz and the legends of yore (If anyone even remembers who Grizz was... He was truly great).

The yet-to-be-published info I've been digging up about the Buzzy incident this week lines up with everything @marni1971 has said.

yensidtlaw1969

If they wanted to destroy any fire hazards, why did they leave those few lights on (animatronic light, handicap row light, and ambient light from screens)?
Are you familiar with the term Ghostlight?

In theatre there's a storied tradition of leaving a bare lightbulb lit onstage at night after everyone has left - superstition claims it's for the Ghosts that haunt the theater so they're not left in the dark where they'd get mad and wreak havoc, but the truth is less exciting . . . the tradition started after someone broke into a theater that had all the lights off, got hurt, sued the theater, and actually won.

Leaving a Ghostlight is about liability . . . can't say for sure that's why there are some lights on in Cranium Command, but it would make some sense.

Last edited:

halltd

To my knowledge, every backstage photo we've ever been sent/published has been taken by our sources permitted backstage.

I have never and will never knowingly work with anyone breaking the law, especially at Disney.
Not a law, but no one is permitted to take photos backstage. So if your sources are permitted backstage, they’re not permitted to take photos. If for some reason they are allowed to take photos for work purposes, they’re definitely not allowed to share them with “media” or anyone else for that matter.

If the photos you publish are from cast members and they get traced back to them, I’m sure they won’t be cast members for much longer.

Are you familiar with the term Ghostlight?

In theatre there's a storied tradition of leaving a bare lightbulb lit onstage at night after everyone has left - superstition claims it's for the Ghosts that haunt the theater so they're not left in the dark where they'd get mad and wreak havoc, but the truth is less exciting . . . the tradition started after someone broke into a theater that had all the lights off, got hurt, sued the theater, and actually won.

Leaving a Ghostlight is about liability . . . can't say for sure that's why there are some lights on in Cranium Command, but it would make some sense.

Not just about trespassers. When somebody collecting for Archives was finally going to get in there, they had to be able to see where they were going or able to find other working lights.

Gringrinngghost

Not a law, but no one is permitted to take photos backstage. So if your sources are permitted backstage, they’re not permitted to take photos. If for some reason they are allowed to take photos for work purposes, they’re definitely not allowed to share them with “media” or anyone else for that matter.

If the photos you publish are from cast members and they get traced back to them, I’m sure they won’t be cast members for much longer.
I think you misread that.

He’s saying that, his sources are permitted to be backstage, and that he will not work with anyone who doesn’t have proper access backstage.

I think you misread that.

He’s saying that, his sources are permitted to be backstage, and that he will not work with anyone who doesn’t have proper access backstage.

Brayden, I love your show and want it to grow and continue always, but that seems like an awfully fine line. Terms of employment? Sure! Smash them! Black-letter law? No, journalism isn't that important.

. . . But I don't know, I haven't seen The Post yet.

LSLS

That doesn't mean it was stolen nor does it erase the protective aspect of the AA removal by internal sources, without permission because the wheels of progress turn very slowly in companies the size of Disney. We will find out eventually and I'll bet it is going to be boring. How can it not be... it's an inanimate object. Unless an envelope shows up with an aluminum ear demanding a million dollar ransom or "Buzzy get it, see", it is going to be difficult for all this to be anything but anticlimactic .

I'd been operating under that theory until marni somewhat shot that down. My guess now is this is an active investigation which is why he is being so vague.

And I completely disagree with you. If someone was able to break in and steal heavy AAs, that is not boring in the least.

ChrisE405

This. Just because someone is permitted to be backstage doesn’t mean they can take photos and share them. I like a Brayden’s show very much, but he is just covering himself with his statement. The reality is that he is distributing content that someone who shared it with him was not authorized to capture.

s8film40

@marni1971 , the things I've seen you contribute to this community over my 11 years of reading without an account have been unparalleled. You are an inspiration in this community, preserving history unlike I have ever seen. Dont let an internet troll get you down. Has he contributed anywhere near as much as you? No. All the haters need to sit down and shut up. You inspired me to make an account here. You've taken some of us who were never able to experience vintage Epcot, and some of us who were, back to the glory days of the parks. I can not thank you enough for all the wonderful details that you dug up out of my forgotten memories (the spaceship earth satellites, the many amazing videos you've made, etc), and all of the insider stories you've provided. While some dont, I, as well as almost the entire community, love and respect you! Thanks man!

Since I assume you guys are referring to me, I just want to reiterate I was not questioning Martins credibility, merely pointing out that he hadn’t really said anything at all. Since this isn’t a situation where hinting at the final outcome protects a source there’s absolutely no reason to hide that in vague hints. Perhaps maybe it was just his subtle way of saying he doesn’t know or doesn’t feel confident with the info he has gotten, I don’t know. All I wanted was a straight answer, we didn’t get that. He did seemm to clarify his hint and lean in the direction of it being stolen. So I guess that’s where we are. I agree with you and like and respect Martin, I don’t expect him to know absolutely everything though.

Brer Oswald

Since I assume you guys are referring to me, I just want to reiterate I was not questioning Martins credibility, merely pointing out that he hadn’t really said anything at all. Since this isn’t a situation where hinting at the final outcome protects a source there’s absolutely no reason to hide that in vague hints. Perhaps maybe it was just his subtle way of saying he doesn’t know or doesn’t feel confident with the info he has gotten, I don’t know. All I wanted was a straight answer, we didn’t get that. He did seemm to clarify his hint and lean in the direction of it being stolen. So I guess that’s where we are. I agree with you and like and respect Martin, I don’t expect him to know absolutely everything though.
He’s already said why he can’t just come out and say what exactly happened. He’s given us enough information to rule out several possibilities.

LSLS

Honestly I think it is more directed at the guy who was saying insiders know nothing, we have a police report and no media so all insiders are wrong.

At any rate, remember how different this situation is. You are talking about a potential criminal investigation. That really potentially muddies things up and people need to be extremely careful what is being said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom