News Buzzy’s been stolen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iHeartDisneylandCats

I wonder (out loud) if some on here continue to “stir the pot” in order to attempt to bring out information to aid the investigation...
(Yes, I’ve watched some CSI)
Honestly, since this thread popped up, there have been lots of Looney Tunes posting here, as well as other threads. It wouldn't surprise me if some people are just trying to mess with the investigation or divert attention away from it.
I wish they had. They wish they had.
Do you think they've learned their lesson? Perhaps they will stop letting stuff rot and when future attractions close the props will be taken care of sooner?

Brer Oswald

I know people keep joking that someone on this board did it, but I don’t think it’s to ridiculous to hypothesize that a hardcore Epcot fan would pull a stunt like this. Buzzy’s disappearance allegedly occurred in November, the same month that Epcot Forever was announced, and Epcot Fan Frustration was at the highest peak it’s been at in years. Again, this is just a theory. I don’t think it was necessarily stolen.

TwilightZone

I know people keep joking that someone on this board did it, but I don’t think it’s to ridiculous to hypothesize that a hardcore Epcot fan would pull a stunt like this. Buzzy’s disappearance allegedly occurred in November, the same month that Epcot Forever was announced, and Epcot Fan Frustration was at the highest peak it’s been at in years. Again, this is just a theory. I don’t think it was necessarily stolen.
I am a fan of the skippy theory. A fan worrying that buzzy might get the same fate as skippy, that being in the scrapyard.
Another theory I've come up with, but haven't shared is that the fan was an insider or had some know how that buzzy was being tested and was afraid buzzy was going to be used for parts or become part of some IP attraction, reskinned or not. So they took buzzy to avoid that.

s8film40

I am a fan of the skippy theory. A fan worrying that buzzy might get the same fate as skippy, that being in the scrapyard.
Another theory I've come up with, but haven't shared is that the fan was an insider or had some know how that buzzy was being tested and was afraid buzzy was going to be used for parts or become part of some IP attraction, reskinned or not. So they took buzzy to avoid that.
It seems totally plausible that they could be planning to add him to the GotG queue. Could be a good bang for buck addition to the queue, no big investment in an animatronic and all they’d have to do is move it next door. If that’s the case and if he was stolen, then personally I would be happier knowing that it’s no longer in Disney’s possession.

TwilightZone

Where is the evidence that he was being tested? I find that hard to believe considering the amount of equipment that was already removed.
The closest I could find to the tested theory is that buzzy has been fixed up, his eye used to be droopy, and was noticeably fixed in matt's video. But that could just have been an archiving thing. Most of the testing thing is just word of mouth and hasn't been confirmed or denied by any insiders that I know of.
For comparison reasons:
4562298-9228314-thumbnail.jpg

CRzXeZbU8AARpN_.jpg

EDIT: Just noticed the second photo has a nice shot of gloveless buzzy. It's way better to tell he's missing his hands here vs. the previous photo being shared.

TwilightZone

It seems totally plausible that they could be planning to add him to the GotG queue. Could be a good bang for buck addition to the queue, no big investment in an animatronic and all they’d have to do is move it next door. If that’s the case and if he was stolen, then personally I would be happier knowing that it’s no longer in Disney’s possession.
I wouldn't entirely say buzzy not being with disney is a happy thing, IP or otherwise. But reskinning buzzy or using him as parts is not a fate I would like for him.

s8film40

It doesn’t sound that unreasonable to test the animatronic. Even if justnto document its condition for the archives. I don’t have a thorough understand of them, but I think we’ve all seen that when programming shows they generally bring in the equipment to control it. So it doesn’t at least on the surface seem like it would be a difficult undertaking for them.

That being said, how hard is it to lock the doors? We’ve blamed Disney for letting it rot in an abandoned attraction. Really though it should be fine even in an abandoned attraction as long as the building is properly secured. After all someone could just as easily walk in and steal something from the archives as long as they leave it equally unsecured.

JoeCamel

All this talk about hydraulic fluid has me thinking, those look like air lines that were cut so I would expect no fluid. The base the AA was mounted on looked to be hydraulically controlled.
If the rumors of activating the AA recently were true I am sure central shops has a portable compressor and control valves they could operate any actuators connected to it.
Bring in your test setup, make sure all the actuators work and manually put Buzzy through his paces for the demo.

s8film40

I wouldn't entirely say buzzy not being with disney is a happy thing, IP or otherwise. But reskinning buzzy or using him as parts is not a fate I would like for him.
Honestly even if they installed him in GotG as Buzzy, I still would rather not see that happen.

Also this could explain why it was tagged by archives but not removed. They could’ve had tentative plans to use it in the attractions and archives may have tagged it to create a failsafe to protect it in the event those plans fell through.

HMFan999

Throwing my latest theory of events out into the wild in case it turns out to be true:
  • Someone steals Buzzy's clothing (confirmed by police report)
  • Disney realizes that "urban explorers" have been going into WOL and points OCSD at potential suspects (whole BDD mess)
  • Some dept. decides having this AA sitting in an unsecured area is just inviting more trouble (for theft or encouraging more "urban explorers") and has Buzzy/Hypo removed and destroyed without running it by the archives first. (@marni1971 cryptic yet bleak responses, and the online evidence that they're no longer in WOL)

iHeartDisneylandCats

I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case. Also, it wouldn't have been that hard for someone to get in there. I'm not sure I should share this, but who cares at this point. A few years ago, during the summer when no festivals were going on, I wanted to see what the WoL looked like, so I walked up to the entrance of the building. When I got there, the sliding glass doors were slightly open, and I was curious if they were locked in place or not, so I pushed the door an inch or two, and sure enough the building was unlocked, unattended, and only had a rope blocking the path to the entrance. I obviously did not enter the building due to concerns about getting in trouble, but way back then I thought it would be very easy for someone to go in there and camp out or something. I wonder how often people have done what I did but took it a step further and went inside.

iHeartDisneylandCats

Throwing my latest theory of events out into the wild in case it turns out to be true:
  • Someone steals Buzzy's clothing (confirmed by police report)
  • Disney realizes that "urban explorers" have been going into WOL and points OCSD at potential suspects (whole BDD mess)
  • Some dept. decides having this AA sitting in an unsecured area is just inviting more trouble (for theft or encouraging more "urban explorers") and has Buzzy/Hypo removed and destroyed without running it by the archives first. (@marni1971 cryptic yet bleak responses, and the online evidence that they're no longer in WOL)
This actually makes a lot of sense. That would explain the slashed wires too. If this is indeed the case, the department should be ashamed of themselves for not allowing Disney to take care of it.

Goofyernmost

I'm not going searching, but he had said it was an unauthorized removal from pretty much the beginning.
That doesn't mean it was stolen nor does it erase the protective aspect of the AA removal by internal sources, without permission because the wheels of progress turn very slowly in companies the size of Disney. We will find out eventually and I'll bet it is going to be boring. How can it not be... it's an inanimate object. Unless an envelope shows up with an aluminum ear demanding a million dollar ransom or "Buzzy get it, see", it is going to be difficult for all this to be anything but anticlimactic .

DreamfinderGuy

I'd like to make a timeline here:

-2007, Cranium Command closes
-Sometime in 2007-2008, the place gets stripped of anything that can be reused
-2009ish, CC gets it's last inspection that I know of. Full lighting can no longer be run due to leaks and lights being an electrical fire hazard
-2009, CC gets essentially sealed off, with minimal lighting in the handicap rows, ambient light seen through the screens from behind the stage, and the AA lights. Plus some random show lighting that was left on for some reason. It's left in disrepair and abandoned with a few things laying here and there. CMs no longer have a reason to enter the theatre, so only higher ups get in.
-2009, First Cranium Command urbex surfaces, as an 11 second video breaking into the theatre via the exit ramp
*Things deteriorate over time, roof breaks, leaks get worse, mold spreads, wall carpet falls, etc*
-2012, Buzzy's Gloves get stolen after park closing in October
-2017, Matt gets in via the preshow theatre's Handicap door (which has a handle on it), films the inside, jumps onto the stage and crawls through Hypothalamus' maintenance door into the backstage areas.
-2018, First Urbex of the year by BDD sometime in July, coincidentally right about the time they were testing him for functionality
-2018, Buzzy's remaining clothes get stolen in August
-2018, Buzzy himself gets stolen in November.

I can't really confirm much else so I don't wanna spread rumors on what happened to Hypothalamus and all, since I don't know the whole story there. Hopefully this clears things up for you people

Edit: It's also worth mentioning that it was rumored that Disney went back in 2017 to see if there were still reels back there, and supposedly they took them and digitized them right afterward. This is how they got the preshow video that they were playing at the EPCOT 35 D23 event. However it seems like they would have a copy of the footage in the archives regardless, so idk how factual that is. That being said, there's only one "reel" of film back there anymore, and it's water damaged, sitting unwinded in a 5 gallon bucket. There are plenty of empty Film Canisters though ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom