Buying more points

Jeaniecm

Original Poster
I have 220 pts at Beach Club but now wanting a few more. I've found that with my family traveling with me (grandchildren & their parents) I would like a few more (50-75) I will be looking to buy resale Any suggestions if I should not buy at Beach Club or somewhere that is cheaper? I'm thinking I should get the same month as my present DVC

slappy magoo

Unless you have a habit of staying anywhere else, it would make the most sense to get more Besch Club points with the same use year.

If you do tend to mix it up and stay other places, I guess it would make the most financial sense to go for Saratoga as the resale prices tend to be lower and since it's such a big resort maintenance fees tend to be more stable. But still aim for the same use year you have with you Beach Club points.

CLEtoWDW

I would buy at Beach Club because it could be quite difficult to book 7 months out if you don’t have points where BCV are your home resort. Luckily, you may find a good price point with contracts under 100 points because there isn’t as much demand for those smaller contracts on the secondary market.

Phonedave

I would buy at Beach Club because it could be quite difficult to book 7 months out if you don’t have points where BCV are your home resort. Luckily, you may find a good price point with contracts under 100 points because there isn’t as much demand for those smaller contracts on the secondary market.

Smaller contacts are normally more per point both because they are harder to find, and because people looking to add on are looking for smaller contracts most of the time.

They go quickly and for a premium. There is a very high demand for 50 point contacts on the resale market.

Phonedave

I have 220 pts at Beach Club but now wanting a few more. I've found that with my family traveling with me (grandchildren & their parents) I would like a few more (50-75) I will be looking to buy resale Any suggestions if I should not buy at Beach Club or somewhere that is cheaper? I'm thinking I should get the same month as my present DVC

Remember, you can only use points where you own at 11 months out. If you bought 50 points at a different resort, you could only use your original 220 at BC at 11 months, and then the other 50 at 7 months. Same thing goes for whatever the other resort was. 50 at 11 months, and then 220 at 7.

Do try to match the same use year if you can - it makes things easier. However, be prepare to wait.... and wait, for a contract. My wife stalked multiple resale sites looking for a 50 point SSR contract that matched our use year. She got an automated email that one became available at 10:00 AM. She sent me a text, and I called the broker by 11. The broker advised me she had 6 bids already, and was going to close bidding at 2:00 PM and that I should make my last, best, final bid. I put in a bid slightly over asking and ended up getting the contract. It took us about 6 to 8 months to find a contract in our use year and actually be able to act on it. They come and go very quickly.

correcaminos

Smaller contacts are normally more per point both because they are harder to find, and because people looking to add on are looking for smaller contracts most of the time.

They go quickly and for a premium. There is a very high demand for 50 point contacts on the resale market.

This! To the point that after a year of looking for a specific resort (not even UY) I gave up. I actually ran numbers and found that because I wasn't financing, the savings was minimal for 30-50 point contracts. In this case, and only this case, I would consider where you want to stay and run numbers. Some resorts you'll find it might be a savings and others not so much.

As for where to buy. What types of rooms do you stay in? Would 150-225 every 3 years get you what you want? Are you flexible with where you want to stay and how you can use any left over points? With so low of a number, I would consider BCV unless you wanted another home or wanted a longer contract year wise.

No matter where you buy, I agree with the idea of matching use year. This only exception is if you buy one time use points a lot or if you do multiple waitlists at once. Two memberships will give you double of that.

You cannot pool the points though unless you transfer so be careful on that. Also if you transfer you cannot use the points to book online, you have to call.

Phonedave

This! To the point that after a year of looking for a specific resort (not even UY) I gave up. I actually ran numbers and found that because I wasn't financing, the savings was minimal for 30-50 point contracts. In this case, and only this case, I would consider where you want to stay and run numbers. Some resorts you'll find it might be a savings and others not so much.

We saved money buying our 50 add on points resale .... barely. Just like you said, after the higher cost per point for a small contract, and the title search and other fees, it was a couple of hundred bucks savings. In addition to the time spent looking for the contract, closing took a while too - ROFR, tile search, registering with DVC, registering with FL, etc. It was not hard, but it took quite while. I think if I did it again, I would take a serious look at just buying them direct.

-dave

correcaminos

We saved money buying our 50 add on points resale .... barely. Just like you said, after the higher cost per point for a small contract, and the title search and other fees, it was a couple of hundred bucks savings. In addition to the time spent looking for the contract, closing took a while too - ROFR, tile search, registering with DVC, registering with FL, etc. It was not hard, but it took quite while. I think if I did it again, I would take a serious look at just buying them direct.

-dave
My first two add ons wound up being no brainers. I wanted a specific resort and it was brand new, so resale wasn't an option. The second time I was looking at resale and looking and looking and after months I actually sat and did the math. Thanks to rewards and fully loaded contracts and reallocation of points that were already borrowed, it made more sense financially to do direct.

The last time I cannot recall but the numbers weren't as great (I know I gave it on this forum but I'm too lazy to look or figure the math at the moment) but it still was close enough that it was more or less a wash. I watched resales a year and not one option for me popped up even out of my UY.

Even if it is a few hundred, sometimes direct is just easier and worth that extra to do it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom