Trip Report But who's keeping track?

I will make my 43rd (ish) trip to Walt Disney World (still not totally sure how many Florida trips in my youth actually involved WDW)
s-l640.jpeg

I will write my 26th Trip Report (re-reading those old ones, what was I thinking?)
26 images.jpeg

We will drive 940 miles, only stopping for quick food and bathrooms (if making good time, maybe a short sleep break)
IMG_1959.JPG

We will stay in our 21st different WDW resort (depending on how you count DVC vs hotel for some)
1_GranDestino.jpeg

We will experience 1 brand new attraction (hopefully more than once)
galaxyrewindopen.jpeg

We will experience 1 favorite attraction that has recently be changed (and are a bit scared by it)
finding-nemothe-musical-walt-disney-world-orlando-florida-usa_main.jpeg

I will experience at least one brand new table service restaurant (and a surprising one, at that)
hollywood-brown-derby.jpeg

Our daughter will experience her first true backstage WDW tour (@MeffysMom and I did this one before)
disney-underground-utilidors.jpeg

We MAY have our first Genie+ experience (and maybe our last as well??)
1829267.jpeg

But there's really no reason to keep track of all these things. Just join me for a brief pre-trip and then live reporting from WDW.

Couple additional pre-thoughts (that didn't have good Disney pictures to go along)... We will spend far too much money (although we've got quite a bit stored up on Disney Rewards). We will partake in too much food and drink (always claim that I won't, but good luck with that). We will have a heckuva good time despite some obstacles (I think I'm willing to guarantee that, we always do). See you soon!

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Welcome aboard, @pkkurz @RememberWhen @Wicked Sisters @Bullseye1967 @MickeyCB @LisaBelle @LSV @Loco_driver as well as anyone else following along.

First up, a little background on why this trip is happening. If you've traveled with us before you already know that we are a couple of teachers with a single daughter. She has just finished up her first year of college (university for those following from UK ;)) and while she had a great year overall, there were definitely some rough times (a couple hospital trips and an emergency surgery are not what college first year is supposed be about - BTW, all is good!!). She applied for study abroad this summer and was accepted into a program in Spain. Soon as that happened, we all decided that there would be no Disney this summer. She only had about 10 days between end of Spring term (last week) and leaving for her trip and then only about 10 days on the other side before Fall term begins. But then... some time in April, we found out that the summer program didn't start until a week later and a certain someone who loves coasters and had some rough times this year - so, here we go!

Another concern was exactly when we would go. We only have an 18 day window while our daughter is home. And my wife and I still didn't know when our last day of school would be (I could go on for about 100 pages on the... less than ideal... scenario that our local Board of Ed places us in regularly with delayed... and often insane... decisions that impact 1700 teachers and 25000 students). We finally found out in late-April that June 13th would be our last day.

Of course, booking a trip less than 2 months away is pretty tough to make happen. Almost no DVC was available (only a couple nights out of the 4 we wanted at ANY resort) and on-site we were finding close to nothing. Spent about a week checking availability for every little thing a few times a day. And ended up with a unique scenario. Some of you might have seen this in other threads out there. We are staying for 2 nights at Coronado Springs in the new tower and then 2 nights at Saratoga Springs (the only DVC available). The two nights are Coronado are far more expensive than we were planning so we will be taking full advantage of the Club Level of the tower!

So now it's early May and we are booked for June 15th-June 19th, which means driving down on the 14th and back up on the 20th. Looking good. Wait... what's that you say? The BOE just quietly announced that teachers are required to be in school on June 14th? We can't start our drive until later in the afternoon? Lucky for us, the 14 hour overnight drive isn't all that rare and we are definitely up for it.

Some details of the plans coming at you later today!

RememberWhen

I’m so sorry your school doesn’t let you know about these things earlier! The principal at my kids’ school seems to finally be getting used to me asking for the planned breaks more than a year out (to plan our Disney trips). Luckily they’re pretty predictable and fairly organized.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
I’m so sorry your school doesn’t let you know about these things earlier! The principal at my kids’ school seems to finally be getting used to me asking for the planned breaks more than a year out (to plan our Disney trips). Luckily they’re pretty predictable and fairly organized.

Here in Maryland, our school districts are by county, so they are pretty large. The first district I was in (for 20 years) had 178 schools and over 100,000 students. The one I'm in now (past 8 years) is much smaller, but still has 44 schools and 25,000 kids. Local schools have almost zero control over things, there is a bureaucracy of administrators in a central office who are overseen by an elected school board. It makes decisions take FAR too long to happen. We generally get the next year's calendar in January, but there is never a set end date pending snow days and then an annual early Spring petition to the State BOE to get some snow days forgiven and not have to be made up. No idea why this year took even longer than usual since they didn't actually petition this year, but given the chaos of the past 2 years it's really no surprise that we didn't know for certain when our last day would be until so late.

Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

Omnia mutantur, nihil interit
Premium Member
Here in Maryland, our school districts are by county, so they are pretty large. The first district I was in (for 20 years) had 178 schools and over 100,000 students. The one I'm in now (past 8 years) is much smaller, but still has 44 schools and 25,000 kids. Local schools have almost zero control over things, there is a bureaucracy of administrators in a central office who are overseen by an elected school board. It makes decisions take FAR too long to happen. We generally get the next year's calendar in January, but there is never a set end date pending snow days and then an annual early Spring petition to the State BOE to get some snow days forgiven and not have to be made up. No idea why this year took even longer than usual since they didn't actually petition this year, but given the chaos of the past 2 years it's really no surprise that we didn't know for certain when our last day would be until so late.

When my husband taught he often wished for a county district instead of a local one. It sounds like he had better be careful what he wished for.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Since I know everyone has been sitting, patiently waiting for the details of our plans for later this week, here we go!!

Tuesday, 6/14 - we are hoping to be getting out of our schools around 1pm (half day for the last day) and hit the road by 2pm or so. 940 miles later we will be pulling into the parking lot at Coronado Springs. Which means...

Wednesday, 6/15 - should be getting in around 5am or so. We will check in and cross our fingers that we hit the room availability jackpot and have something, but that's not very realistic. Which means that we will more likely just rest and relax a bit in the lobby when we arrive. The Club Level Lounge opens up at 7am and hopefully we'll grab some breakfast there while getting lucky with the Guardians virtual queue. Regardless, we will head to Epcot at opening and do what we can before coming back to the resort to grab some lunch in the lounge and then rest in our room or by the pool. In the evening, back over to Epcot for some more fun and Harmonious (insert grumpy comment about giant black tacos and a plotless show).

Thursday, 6/16 - early wake up call to get to Animal Kingdom for 7:30am early half hour. Highlight of the day will be Finding Nemo: The Musical being back. We are very wary of the new version, but as a family who all pretty much have the original memorized, we are just glad it is coming back at all. in the evening, it's over to Hollywood Studios for dinner at Hollywood Brown Derby which I have never been to! Then Moonlight Magic at the Studios and hopefully a chance to enjoy quite a bit without too many lines.

Friday, 6/17 - somewhat early morning to get checked out of our room and still get to Epcot (hopefully with more Guardians spots in line) for opening. Slight chance that I will wait in line to try to get walk up seats at Space 220. Mid-day, we will head to Saratoga Springs to get into the new room. Early dinner at Raglan Road and then over to Magic Kingdom for the fireworks and post-fireworks dessert party (AKA decent seats without a 2 hour wait followed by far too much food and wine far too quickly).

Saturday, 6/18 - this might be it. The day we finally give in to Genie +. We have the Keys to the Kingdom Tour booked, which our daughter was been waiting to do for many years. But while we enjoy it, the plan is for me to be manning the app and stacking Genie Plus ride passes for later in the day. If things work out, when we finish the tour at 2pm, we will get to hit most of the rides in the park - except Seven Dwarfs which we hope to do at opening and Jungle Cruise and Haunted Mansion which are part of the KttK tour. Looking foward to seeing if this plan works and might be worth trying on a 'normal' day at Magic Kingdom in the future.

Sunday, 6/19 - up and at 'em and checked out of the room before another possible early morning at Epcot with Guardians spots in line... or maybe something else? Not really sure of the plans for our last day, but I'm sure we will have a good time. Although we often stay for full days on our last day, this time we will likely be leaving a bit earlier so we can get home for a few decent days before our daughter heads to Spain!

There you have it. Of course, our actual plans are in far more detail and have back-up plans and even some back-ups to the back-ups, but those are the basics and hopefully we will be able to make the most of our short visit.

Last edited:

We love Edna Mode

Looking forward to your fabulous trip…Enjoy every moment. We have been to Brown Derby several years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. Food and service excellent. Don’t rush through the meal as the atmosphere is lovely.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom