Buses Going Away or Pay?

castlecake2.0

Monorails would have been great if the property didn’t fall victim to urban sprawl. Now it’s just not practical for a property wide monorail system. I think the next area that should be looked at is something along BV Drive connecting All Stars, Blizzard, Coronado, Studios/Crescent Lake area, Riviera, Old Key West, Springs, Hotel Plaza. I’m not sure what that would be, maybe a street car or light rail? I think marni mentioned that something like that was in development but not sure what the status is.

ImperfectPixie

World_Showcase_Lover007

No. "In lieu of" literally means "instead of".

They are running every Disney bus they can. The charter buses are being used in addition to them, not instead of them.
I’m well aware of the definition…they were running motor coaches INSTEAD of Disney buses…there were barely any Disney buses running and this was a very slow week. No Disney buses, lots of motor coaches. Henceforth, thereof and forthwith, Motorcoaches we’re running in lieu of Disney buses.

I’ll try to spell it out and break it down more. Waiting outside the hotel, park, whatever…Normally, it’s tons of Disney buses running, with a few motor coaches sprinkled in. This time, as the OP alluded to, only a few Disney buses, and LOTS of motorcoaches. Disney transport was hiring motor coaches to run in lieu of regular Disney buses.

peter11435

I’m well aware of the definition…they were running motor coaches INSTEAD of Disney buses…there were barely any Disney buses running and this was a very slow week. No Disney buses, lots of motor coaches. Henceforth, thereof and forthwith, Motorcoaches we’re running in lieu of Disney buses.

I’ll try to spell it out and break it down more. Waiting outside the hotel, park, whatever…Normally, it’s tons of Disney buses running, with a few motor coaches sprinkled in. This time, as the OP alluded to, only a few Disney buses, and LOTS of motorcoaches. Disney transport was hiring motor coaches to run in lieu of regular Disney buses.
Again, they are not being run in lieu of Disney buses they are being run in addition to Disney buses. Clearly you must have perceived things incorrectly. Many of us have information that is not based on anecdotal evidence. There are still hundreds of Disney busses on the road. More buses than typical have been needed to meet demand due to Covid restrictions. They only very recently started allowing standing room again. They do have a driver shortage which is why they are having frequent job fairs and offering $1500 signing bonuses. But they are running every Disney bus they can and supplementing that with motor coaches. They are not hiring buses instead of running their own they are hiring buses because they can’t run enough of their own to meet the demand.

None of this has anything to do with what the OP was asking. The OP’s question was clearly related to misinformation regarding the change to magical express and has already been answered and addressed

ImperfectPixie

You clearly aren't. You've now used "in lieu of" incorrectly at least twice even after being given the definition.

No matter how you shape it, the normal amount of Disney buses weren’t running. They were then using motor coaches to fill that gap. That’s called in lieu of.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Cost of labor, materials, equipment etc. have risen since the original system was built, but also improvement and lessons learned on efficient / safe operation have evolved. The guests / fans like it and use it. Expanded access to different venues (include the water parks in the new loop). Less traffic on the roads and a regular more efficient movement for guests to different points. In short costs vs benefits, simply put, the benefits far outweigh the costs. Less penny wise and pound-foolish thinking.
I wonder how much money we're talking about here... certainly more than what they spent on the Skyliner.

World_Showcase_Lover007

You clearly aren't. You've now used "in lieu of" incorrectly at least twice even after being given the definition.
I have not used it twice incorrectly… I have used it correctly both times you reference. I already knew the definition. They don’t have Disney buses/drivers to run so they are running motorcoaches instead and in lieu of Disney buses.

ImperfectPixie

I have not used it twice incorrectly… I have used it correctly both times you reference. I already knew the definition. They don’t have Disney buses/drivers to run so they are running motorcoaches instead and in lieu of Disney buses.
Wow. Yes you have and you continue to misconstrue and misrepresent reality. They haven't stopped running Disney buses. They ARE ACTIVELY RUNNING DISNEY BUSES. The charter buses are IN ADDITION TO Disney's buses.

Brad Bishop

As a cast member I can tell you that we would be the very last people to hear about something like this.

But to answer your question, that is not happening. There might be some confusion in regards to Magical Express retiring next year. Your transportation costs for resort transport is already built into other prices for things ie park ticket or hotel rate.

PS there’s a job fair hiring transportation hosts this week for busses, watercraft, and monorails if anyone is interested.
To be fair: Your parking at the resorts was already built into the price of your stay.
... until it wasn't.

I still argue that nothing is off the table. What is still "free" to the customers? Only one thing left there: resort transportation. It didn't used to be that way.

GimpYancIent

To be fair: Your parking at the resorts was already built into the price of your stay.
... until it wasn't.

I still argue that nothing is off the table. What is still "free" to the customers? Only one thing left there: resort transportation. It didn't used to be that way.
The word "Free" is used too liberally at Disney properties. Nothing at Disney has truly been "Free" the guest has always paid for things / services or experiences in one way, form or another.

Brad Bishop

It’s just not logistically possible to confirm payment for everyone trying to access transportation. Resort parking is easy to add on to a guest folio by the front desk (not that I agree with this new charge) but when MK is doing a show dump after fireworks there is no time to check that everyone has paid to use transport.
I'd argue that it wouldn't matter:
- When it's slow it's no big deal to have people go through a turnstile and log their magic band
- When it's crammed, the line up to the Monorail, Ferry, whatever is going to be crammed *anyway* so showing the magicband won't matter.

ImperfectPixie

The word "Free" is used too liberally at Disney properties. Nothing at Disney has truly been "Free" the guest has always paid for things / services or experiences in one way, form or another.
Yep. Things were built into the price. This way, they can nickel and dime us across multiple line-items instead of just a couple or a few.

Disstevefan1

Yep. Things were built into the price. This way, they can nickel and dime us across multiple line-items instead of just a couple or a few.
I honestly think they it's a matter of when and not if they will begin to charge for the buses.

Like the parking at the resorts, they could have built it into the price of the room but they chose not to so they can multiple lines of prices they can increase; they can increase the room rates AND the parking fees, AND the bus ticket..

Brad Bishop

Yep. There is no such thing as "free".

That being said: I think the problem is that the business eventually forgets that the "free" bit is worked into some other part of the spreadsheet (it's paid for elsewhere) and, because of that, they land on:
- start charging for this service
0r
- dump the service - it's not making any money.

For example: Originally parking was included with your resort stay. You still paid for that parking lot and the upkeep via what you paid for your room at the hotel. Then someone "didn't see that" and saw that parking was costing them money so they created a "resort fee" for it. The original room charge never went down, only the "resort fee" added on top. You could argue you're paying 2x for it. At no point was it ever "free", though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom