Busch Gardens Tampa - worth the drive?

stargrl33

Original Poster
Thinking of a trip to the Orlando area to visit a friend this spring. We did Universal and Disney in May and September, so we're looking to try something new. We would like to spend a day at Sea World for Mako and they have the 2 park deals where you can also go to Busch Gardens in Tampa. But it looks as though the roller coasters at Busch Garden are a little lackluster so it may not be worth the drive when we'd rather relax by the pool or drive to the beach.

So is Busch Gardens worth it? Are there any truly mind-blowing rides or experiences there?

21stamps

Thinking of a trip to the Orlando area to visit a friend this spring. We did Universal and Disney in May and September, so we're looking to try something new. We would like to spend a day at Sea World for Mako and they have the 2 park deals where you can also go to Busch Gardens in Tampa. But it looks as though the roller coasters at Busch Garden are a little lackluster so it may not be worth the drive when we'd rather relax by the pool or drive to the beach.

So is Busch Gardens worth it? Are there any truly mind-blowing rides or experiences there?
I am a lover of all amusement parks, so Busch Gardens is great...but if you're looking for something new -have you done Kennedy Space Center? It's incredible.

chinalatinavlog

I am an ex cast-member and a truly Disney fan. I've visited Universal and Disney and I liked it. But if you are into rollercoasters, you have to go to Busch Gardens. I went on a Saturday back in 2014 during summer time...and I didn't wait more than 10 minutes for the rides. I went back last month and the park keeps showing me that it's worth it. I enjoyed the new ride (Cobra's curse), Montu, Kumba, Cheetah hunt and Sheikra are my favorites! They feel smooth, comparing to some old ones they have in the park.

From my point of view, Busch Gardens has the best Roller Coasters in Florida. Plus you can't beat the tickets price :)

kap91

If you like Coasters it is a must do. It's the biggest collection of coasters in Florida, and also some of the greatest.

stargrl33

Original Poster
If you like Coasters it is a must do. It's the biggest collection of coasters in Florida, and also some of the greatest.
Interesting. I looked them up online but only thought SheiKra and Montu looked worth it. Are the ride videos not doing the other ones justice? I'm also not much of an inverted coaster fan - they just don't do anything for me.

Jon81uk

Cheetah Hunt is a good fun coaster. Montu is nice and intense. Sheikra is also different. The new drop tower (Falcons Fury) is also fun.

As others have said SeaWorld and Busch go well together, they both have different roller coasters (SeaWorld has flying, floorless and hypercoaster, Busch has inverted, launched, vertical drop and spinner). Also the animal exhibits at Busch are very good, riding a steam train round the animal enclosures is certainly different, I also liked getting so close to Kangaroos.

So yes, it is worth the drive.

Jon81uk

Headed there tomorrow actually. It's incredible. It's actually how Animal Kingdom should be.

I think the parks are very different but thats a good thing. The zoo areas at Busch are a lot more traditional zoo. Rather than at AK where they try and make a lot more of the fences invisible. But also Disney will never build a big steel coaster at any of their parks, compare Rock'n'Rollercoaster to Cheetah Hunt, they are both similar tech with launches, but it is the pre-show and theming that makes Disney's different. Its just the different way both companies operate.

raven

I think the parks are very different but thats a good thing. The zoo areas at Busch are a lot more traditional zoo. Rather than at AK where they try and make a lot more of the fences invisible. But also Disney will never build a big steel coaster at any of their parks, compare Rock'n'Rollercoaster to Cheetah Hunt, they are both similar tech with launches, but it is the pre-show and theming that makes Disney's different. Its just the different way both companies operate.
Ok, let me rephrase that. It's what DAK should HAVE been. Busch Gardens blends everything together so well. When DAK first opened they had a clear concept of the park but it lacked what guests wanted: thrills. So as they started adding thrill attractions the animal aspect of the park started to take a back seat. Now in order to see most of animals at DAK you have to enter an attractions, walking trail or train. At BG they are just about everywhere as you walk around the park.

Jon81uk

Ok, let me rephrase that. It's what DAK should HAVE been. Busch Gardens blends everything together so well. When DAK first opened they had a clear concept of the park but it lacked what guests wanted: thrills. So as they started adding thrill attractions the animal aspect of the park started to take a back seat. Now in order to see most of animals at DAK you have to enter an attractions, walking trail or train. At BG they are just about everywhere as you walk around the park.

There are still several animals you need to take walking trails to see at Busch too, I followed several, including the Edge of Africa to see hippos and lions and the Jambo Junction to see many of the smaller animals. Plus you need to ride the steam train or the cable car to see the sergengheti, so in some respects there aren't that many differences. Its just SeaWorld and Busch Gardens will build the huge steel coasters that Disney never will.

I do agree that it is easier to find the animals at Busch Gardens and there is 2-3 times as much to see and do (as long as you like thrill rides) compared to DAK, but it doesn't quite have the depth of theming that DAK has.

Bairstow

I realize this is an old thread, but absolutely, especially for coaster buffs.
Not all of Busch Garden Tampa's stuff is brand new, but Kumba and Montu are among the best work B&M has ever done- even compared to taller/faster machines. Montu especially has a really nice themed queue and surrounding area, and the new Cobra's Curse has an even better one.
Cheetah Hunt and Scorpion are also great but the real star, as far as I'm concerned, and hands-down the most thrilling coaster in Florida is Sheik-Ra. Not even Mako or Hulk can come close to the pure rush of riding in the front of that thing.

As a wildlife park, Busch Gardens is pretty great too, even compared to Animal Kingdom. The cheetah and tiger exhibits are especially good, and if you can, try to be there for one of the cheetah feeding/run demonstrations.
Chow is good there too- try the Zambia Smokehouse.

I am a lover of all amusement parks, so Busch Gardens is great...but if you're looking for something new -have you done Kennedy Space Center? It's incredible.

Yep, can't go wrong there either. I'm not even into space travel and I was blown away by both the Apollo and Atlantis exhibits. Definitely a full-day experience, and I didn't even have time to go to the Astronaut Hall of Fame down the road (which is usually included in your admission).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom