Busch Gardens Tampa Christmas Town

StageFrenzy

Original Poster
I didn't see it posted anywhere or couldn't find the thread to resurrect but BGT is doing Christmas town again this year (2014). I posess no details maybe @919Florida knows something good. Did anyone else get the Passholder magnets?

Omnikron

Have the flyer they sent out few weeks ago somewhere at home but one of the big changes is that the Christmas event is now included with AP and general tickets. Busch Gardens will be open later into the night (9pm most nights)

Will have to look for it but here is a link for the information on all the events

919Florida

Christmas Town is in deed coming back this year and is included in general admission which is awesome. No Snow World this year though. They are adding two new areas to the event and going to have a bigger penguin pointe this year. i cant wait to go see it. :)

Omnikron

Saw the walls up around the area where they normally have the otters and even to the entrance to the nursery walkway. What seems unusual is the $45 cost for dinner with Mrs Clause at the Pantopia Grill (or whatever it is called :D )

nepalostparks

Preparations for Christmas Town 2014 began shortly after Howl-O-Scream started this year - it was odd towards the end of HOS to see some so many Christmas lights and some of the garland up. We're losing Snow World and the night time ice show, Angels of Peace, but gaining two new "areas" (and the relocation of one). Plus, like mentioned above, it's now included in any regular admission - a big win for Pass Members.

Mrs. Claus' Family Feast starts at $22 - not sure where you are seeing $45 for that @Omnikron. They did add a new "Elf Academy" experience that starts at $44; that's geared towards kids ages 3 - 7.

Penguin Point is coming back for Christmas Town 2014 and staying permanently. They built a new indoor structure for the penguins and are making upgrades to the habitat as well. And before anyone says "penguins at an African themed park?!", they are going to be African penguins, so they actually fit in the habitat in the Nairobi section of the park better than the Asian otters that were there previously. (The otters have moved to Jungala).

Here's the penguin habitat from the air... the white building is the new structure for their indoor area (it has since been painted a dark green color to blend in better with the surrounding foliage):

IMG_4389.jpg
IMG_4387.jpg

Omnikron

Might have associated the $45 from the elf portion as the cost of Mrs. Clause dinner. We might be swinging around sometime this weekend and will probably take some photos.

nepalostparks

We'll probably be there tomorrow afternoon to catch some of the Christmas shows... they're pretty close to having all of the decor up now!

Omnikron

Visited yesterday and took some pictures. Went during the day and wasn't able to take any night time shots but thinking in going over sometime this week to see the lights at night.
1207141056.jpg

1207141058.jpg

1207141106a.jpg

IMG_20141207_120139.jpg

IMG_20141207_152634.jpg

nepalostparks

We made it the second night, the 29th of November, for our first visit this season. They really stepped up their game with lights this season, covering much more of the park than the past two years. It was incredible seeing the displays around every turn - and even in most areas between the "official" zones, there were added lights to tie it all together.

They added a second "show" to the large tree in Jungala, although I still prefer the first one (very similar to the one last season). Carol of the Bells at Crown Colony doesn't disappoint either. We also were happy to see a variety of smaller "street" entertainment and characters out around the park - it's these little opportunities that sometimes make the difference.

wdwstateofmind

We live like 20 minutes from Busch Gardens on a good day but have never been. Is their Christmas event really worth it when compared to lets say the Osbourne Lights or the MK event?

Omnikron

I would say that they are a pleasant experience for being close by and for being included with general admission and passholder. Have not been to the Osbourne Lights so I can't really say but as to the MK event, I would go once every other year or so as we did go last month and had a great time.

Omnikron

Finally visit the gardens during night this past Sat and I have to say in what they've done is quite well done. The park is decorated pretty much throughout in what I have to guess at is millions of lights. The wife and I even had to look back in our trip last month to MVMCP and say that Busch Gardens has beat them in decorating their park for the holidays'

The Sing-Along Train was very fun and our daughter enjoyed the ride. Didn't get to catch Elmo's Christmas wish but caught the last two songs and it was very cute. Pantopia was decorated nicely and loved the Christmas Town area with Santa's area and the walk towards the theater all decorated in white and brilliant blue lights.

nepalostparks

Comparing it to Disney's holiday offerings is kind of tough because they differ so much in a lot of ways.

In comparing to Osbourne lights alone, BGT doesn't have any dancing lights to match that scale, but they do have two dancing light displays which are well done - Carol of the Bells at the Crown Colony House and two different shows on the giant LED lit Christmas Tree in Jungala.

BGT stepped up their "streetmosphere" this season with the addition of several smaller performances, "characters", etc. The ice show is spectacular and a must see; the other holiday shows (with the exception of Madagascar Live, which just has a "holiday tag" at the end of the regular show from my understanding) are also very nicely done.

There are over a million lights, and now in its third year, there are lights and/or decor in almost every section of the park, making it a very cohesive display as you're walking around. There were only one or two small sections of the park this season that weren't lit up with something special.

I haven't been to the MK party, so I can't make direct comparisons, but we've been to CT at BGT the last two years and feel it's well worth it.

wdwstateofmind

@wdwstateofmind You have never been to BGT period?
Nope, I grew up near Six Flags Great Adventure in New Jersey which is like the #1 roller coaster amusement park in the world (literally) and I couldn't count the number of times I went. Growing up, my parents' company even used to rent out the park and we'd have it to ourselves all day...

In all honesty, I kept telling myself not to go and give myself reasons like Temple Terrace is a dump, but I should probably get over it and just make the trip down Dale Mabry to Busch Blvd. I'm sure the wife and I would have a blast.

nepalostparks

Nope, I grew up near Six Flags Great Adventure in New Jersey which is like the #1 roller coaster amusement park in the world (literally) and I couldn't count the number of times I went. Growing up, my parents' company even used to rent out the park and we'd have it to ourselves all day...

In all honesty, I kept telling myself not to go and give myself reasons like Temple Terrace is a dump, but I should probably get over it and just make the trip down Dale Mabry to Busch Blvd. I'm sure the wife and I would have a blast.

If you like coasters and/or animals, Busch Gardens is great. The annual pass is very reasonable.

Most of Temple Terrace is actually quite nice. The park itself is located in Tampa, and the neighborhood that borders it to the west, south, and east is not great, but driving in and out of the park on the main streets has never been an issue for us or anyone we know. The park itself is literally walled/fenced in from the outside world.

wdwstateofmind

If you like coasters and/or animals, Busch Gardens is great. The annual pass is very reasonable.

Most of Temple Terrace is actually quite nice. The park itself is located in Tampa, and the neighborhood that borders it to the west, south, and east is not great, but driving in and out of the park on the main streets has never been an issue for us or anyone we know. The park itself is literally walled/fenced in from the outside world.
I sometimes work in Temple Terrace; if it's not off the golf-course I can show you some pretty impoverished neighborhoods and some really terrible things. Due to state / county regulations, I've had to report a lot of things I've found in littoral shelves of their wetlands / waterways and I've found pretty much everything but a human body. It's quite a shame because it has one of the coolest 'downtowns' I've seen and those are pretty hard to come by down here.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom