Buffets and the coronavirus?

Plowboy

Original Poster
Not to open pandora's box, but with increasing coronavirus fears, has anyone heard if Disney has any plans providing for increased sanitation provisions regarding people self-serving themselves at buffets? We're not really buffet people (except for Boma & Biergarten) and we've never had any problems; however, with all the hubbub going on right now I would have to think something will be coming soon.

I know this can be a touchy subject and I'm truly not trying to rock the boat, but it is the world we now seem to live in.

P.S. Mods: If this has been addressed already, sorry or needs to be moved to a different forum please do so.

Lilofan

Not to open pandora's box, but with increasing coronavirus fears, has anyone heard if Disney has any plans providing for increased sanitation provisions regarding people self-serving themselves at buffets? We're not really buffet people (except for Boma & Biergarten) and we've never had any problems; however, with all the hubbub going on right now I would have to think something will be coming soon.

I know this can be a touchy subject and I'm truly not trying to rock the boat, but it is the world we now seem to live in.
WDW may follow Las Vegas hotels. A number of the high end hotels have cancelled their buffets.

Hockey89

This should tell you everything you need to know about eating at buffets. It’s gross. I’ve seen kids touching food. Putting it back ect. Puke

Jon81uk

If you are worried about catching a virus from a buffet then worry about all viruses such as flu, common cold, etc etc. A person suffering from flu is just as likely to cough near the buffet.

Plowboy

Original Poster
If you are worried about catching a virus from a buffet then worry about all viruses such as flu, common cold, etc etc. A person suffering from flu is just as likely to cough near the buffet.
Yeah, I hear you. Everyone's individual idea of sanitation can be different, and as I stated above, we've never had a problem. I'm more concerned about colds, flu, etc. So far.

Raineman

If it's hot food, I wouldn't really worry, unless the virus is present on the utensils and containers that are not as hot as the food. The virus will die at temps in the low 90s and up, so anything landing in hot food should die quickly. Salads, fruit, desserts, etc would be something to avoid.

Lilofan

If it's hot food, I wouldn't really worry, unless the virus is present on the utensils and containers that are not as hot as the food. The virus will die at temps in the low 90s and up, so anything landing in hot food should die quickly. Salads, fruit, desserts, etc would be something to avoid.
That's about 50% of the buffet.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member

"Buffets" and "hot food" rarely fall within the same sentence. Well, unless the sentence reads, " I wish the buffet served hot food!"
It's a problem. Along with lack of "sneeze shields" over the food. I suspect most feeding troughs are usually breeding grounds for things.

And don't even get me started on the Chocolate Wonderfall. Blech!

Last edited:

Lilofan

"Buffets" and "hot food" rarely fall within the same sentence. Well, unless the sentence reads, " I wish the food on the buffet was hot!"
It's a problem. Along with lack of "sneeze shields" over the food. I suspect most feeding troughs are usually breeding grounds for things.

And don't even get me started on the Chocolate Wonderfall. Blech!
It is nasty when someone double dips at the Chocolate Wonderfall.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member

100% of the serving utensils are dirty unless you're the very first person to hit that buffet for the day. It doesn't matter what foods are going on your plate and what temp they are if everyone is using the same scooper to get them there.

Lilofan

100% of the serving utensils are dirty unless you're the very first person to hit that buffet for the day. It doesn't matter what foods are going on your plate and what temp they are if everyone is using the same scooper to get them there.
When I pick up the dirty utensils and place the food on my plate, I pick up the ribs, fried chicken, shrimp to name a few with my hands and start eating. Just thinking about this doesn't make me hungry anymore.

disney4life2008

I'm sorry but anyone who thinks Disney buffets are a cut above the rest are crazy. I went to boma breakfast, and got eggs from the buffet. It was a long strand of blonde hair integrated in the eggs. I immediately alerted a cm behind the counter who did nothing. It took me going to the manager for them to replace it.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Just curious -- where did you get that 90° F figure? The only studies I can find cite 56° C/132.8° F for 15 minutes as the effective sterilizing temperature, and while your food might be that hot on a buffet (doubt it), your utensils would be untouchable were they that hot.

In fact, studies on coronavirus at various labs in the Far East showed virus viability for at least an hour at 98.6° F in one medium, and for days at room temperature depending on surface, temperature and humidity.

And obviously, the virus is active at normal body temperature...

Joeamc

Maybe in the future Disney cast members can serve the food that you want upon request of which items you would want. And they can have a full glass front on the buffet tables so food is not accessible and protected.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom