Buffet Dining Special Needs

nngrendel

Original Poster
I have friends that are planning a trip and have recently had a Gastric Sleeve surgery and can only eat no more than about 6-8 oz. They are going with 8 other people and dont want to limit where they can go out and dine. Does the Buffet dining places like Chef Mickey and Crystal Palace have options where they can share or something else where they dont have to pay full price for the buffet?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
There are no reduced priced options with buffets. If you are there, you pay full price.

About the only option is to split up the group if there are others that are not interested in character dining/buffets.

slappy magoo

That's a good rule of thumb whenever you travel with a large group - there's no law that states you have to do everything together, and that includes eating every meal. Now, if the entire party is on the same reservation, the two who've had surgery will still have to be on the same dining plan (if the rest of the party is on a dining plan). But they'd still be able to use their credits at another restaurant where they could order ala carte. Ideally, their reservation is separate from the rest of the group so they're not beholden to join in on a dining plan, because it sounds like they'd spend far less ordering smaller meals or sharing entrees, stuff like that.

I understand why the buffet restaurants don't offer any ala carte options, human greed being what it is and all you know people would order "just a salad" and then "pick" off the plates of other people in their party paying for the buffet, but it really would be great if they could work out a way. I love a buffet myself but I also recognize that I'm a bit of a lardo in a nation of lardos, so people being able to eat together with the option of being a glutton or being selective in the same restaurant is a great option to have. I know there are some options, usually an ala carte menu that has a separate buffet (breakfast at The Wave) or some kind of all-you-can-eat family style option (the skillet at Whispering Canyon Cafe).

I wonder if people would be willing to dine at a buffet and eat from an ala carte menu if they had to somehow be "singled out" with something like a literal red flag on the table to denote ala carte patrons, so the table might be more closely monitored to make sure no one is a sneaky Pete. I wouldn't opt to do it, you have little enough privacy walking around WDW, but I'd bet lots of people would if it meant kids get to see characters they'd like to see and families could still all eat together.

cw1982

I have friends that are planning a trip and have recently had a Gastric Sleeve surgery and can only eat no more than about 6-8 oz. They are going with 8 other people and dont want to limit where they can go out and dine. Does the Buffet dining places like Chef Mickey and Crystal Palace have options where they can share or something else where they dont have to pay full price for the buffet?

I've had the same surgery! Feel free to PM me if they need anything else.

As others have said, there is nothing that requires restaurants to allow for reduced prices due to weight loss surgery. DH and I go to buffets very seldomly for that reason.

Just a couple of things to think about:

1) Are we talking character meals? If so, it might still be worth going just to the buffets to enjoy that experience with their group. Only they can decide.
2) Is it somewhere that has unique items on the buffet?

Honestly, it's a trip to Disney. If they are wanting to enjoy every meal with the rest of the group, then I say chalk it up to paying premiums for the experience. If not, maybe they can find something else to do while the rest of the group is at the buffets and meet up with them afterwards. If they have recently had the surgery, the buffets will be a huge waste from a food standpoint, so it's really a matter of whether or not the experiences are worth the premium.

Let me know if I can help somehow :) I'm no expert but I've been exactly where they are.

nngrendel

Original Poster
Thanks for the info. I have told them the same thing. If you go there you will pay full price so its a waste of $$ but if you want to see these characters then its better than chucking hours out of your park time to see them.

If you have any other tips for someone with this type of surgery please let me know and I will pass it along.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom