Trip Report Buffalo, Bugs, and Beer - A lostpro9het Surf 'n' Turf report.

Alright, alright, alright let’s get this beast going! As pointed out in the PTR, this trip had some purpose to it and I wont rehash the reasons why here. I will say that we had an amazing time saying goodbye with some great surprises along the way. With that, lets go!

Saturday May 11th
We got up bright and early at 04:00 and were pulling away by 04:30. This seems to be the only time one can navigate through Atlanta without hitting traffic, sadly the same cannot be said for Henry County’s traffic. Anyway, our go-to pit stop is always Tifton where we fueled up and grabbed some breakfast at Starbucks, we skipped ChikFilA for some reason. About an hour later and we passed the boarder.
image2 (2).jpeg

All was going swimmingly until around the time we hit Gainesville. Then it was tick….tick…tick..tick. The swarm made its first appearance. The windshield started to look like a Jackson Pollock painting that could not be undone with wipers and fluid. I swear, lovebugs bleed quick dry contact adhesive, more on this later. Soon we were hitting the turnpike and then 429 to Western Way. We made right for home.
image1 (3).jpeg

IMG_6289.JPG

Last edited:

lostpro9het

Original Poster
Saturday May 11th cont.
We made great time, less than 7 hours, and decided to check with the front desk to see if our room was ready and it was! One nice feature of the Kidani house is that virtually all the parking is actually under the resort. So you simply drive to your designated area and catch an elevator up to your room. We were top floor and close to the lobby but did not have a savanna view this go. We did, however, have fantastic fortune with magic bands this trip in regards to entering rooms, not a single failure for any of the resorts.
IMG_6291.JPG

IMG_6292.JPG

IMG_6293.JPG

IMG_6294.JPG

IMG_6296.JPG

IMG_6297.JPG

The refillable pumps have made it to the DVC rooms, this would not be their last appearance. At least these were mostly tamper proof.
IMG_6295.JPG

Again, no savanna but not at all bad either.
IMG_6290.JPG

I was glad our room was ready because we had some food and my beer exchange contribution to keep cold and the mini fridge certainly helped with this. Now to decide where to go.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
I have to be honest - as someone who has reached an age to need reading glasses for everything - these new shower dispensers may not be all bad. If I don't read the small bottles before getting into the shower and then place them in a specific order, I am never sure if I am washing my hair with shampoo, conditioner or body wash. But I'm pretty certain I would be able to make out what is in which bottle given the size of the words on them ;)

lostpro9het

Original Poster
Oh boy! I hope those lovebugs are done in 2 weeks!
I would hope they are gone by for you but I've never seen them like this before.

Been looking forward to this report! Following!
Woot! I hope the hype comes through.

I have to be honest - as someone who has reached an age to need reading glasses for everything - these new shower dispensers may not be all bad. If I don't read the small bottles before getting into the shower and then place them in a specific order, I am never sure if I am washing my hair with shampoo, conditioner or body wash. But I'm pretty certain I would be able to make out what is in which bottle given the size of the words on them ;)

Sure I'll miss the toiletry keepsakes but the pumps are convenient. My only criticism is it takes a lot of work to get what you need from them.(I had to edit that last sentence to make it G-Rated).

Last edited:

lostpro9het

Original Poster
Saturday May 11th cont.
So it was lunch time and the hangering was approaching. We had some time to kill before our FPs at HS and we also knew we wanted to pick up the latest AP magnets at EC so we decided to catch a bus to EC. We waited about 10 minutes and our ride pulled up. A quick stop at Jambo and we were on our way. Despite being “so far out there” at AKL we arrived at EC pretty quick and made our way through bag check and the turnstiles.
IMG_6298.JPG

While on the bus we went back and forth about lunch. We were able to narrow it down to Morocco but still had three choices to make, if you know us I know what you’re thinking. There were plenty of ADRs available for Marrakesh, because good food scares people, but we ultimately decided to think about it while we walked to the land. First things first, though. The whole reason we came to EC was to get the latest AP magnet. We made for MouseGear and they had a special line to queue up folks wishing to get the magnet. We were in luck today as they were still giving away the previous magnet as well as the current magnet so we each got both magnets.
IMG_E6305.JPG

Along the way, we passed Norway and noticed our best bud, Geir, was in house today! The DW and I both wear his fragrances and never miss a chance to get a selfie with him. Sadly, I’ve NEVER been able to get a clean picture of him!!! His Norwegian aura must mess with the camera or something.
IMG_6301.JPG

Crowds were decent for a Saturday during the current Cash & Grab Festival but it was still early. Now...where to eat?

DisneyGigi

Saturday May 11th cont.
So it was lunch time and the hangering was approaching. We had some time to kill before our FPs at HS and we also knew we wanted to pick up the latest AP magnets at EC so we decided to catch a bus to EC. We waited about 10 minutes and our ride pulled up. A quick stop at Jambo and we were on our way. Despite being “so far out there” at AKL we arrived at EC pretty quick and made our way through bag check and the turnstiles.
View attachment 378621

While on the bus we went back and forth about lunch. We were able to narrow it down to Morocco but still had three choices to make, if you know us I know what you’re thinking. There were plenty of ADRs available for Marrakesh, because good food scares people, but we ultimately decided to think about it while we walked to the land. First things first, though. The whole reason we came to EC was to get the latest AP magnet. We made for MouseGear and they had a special line to queue up folks wishing to get the magnet. We were in luck today as they were still giving away the previous magnet as well as the current magnet so we each got both magnets.
View attachment 378623

Along the way, we passed Norway and noticed our best bud, Geir, was in house today! The DW and I both wear his fragrances and never miss a chance to get a selfie with him. Sadly, I’ve NEVER been able to get a clean picture of him!!! His Norwegian aura must mess with the camera or something.
View attachment 378622

Crowds were decent for a Saturday during the current Cash & Grab Festival but it was still early. Now...where to eat?
Following! I saw they had the Pluto & the Daisy when we got ours but they gave us both Daisy tho. I should have asked.

lostpro9het

Original Poster
Saturday May 11th cont.

So, again, if you know us and ask what’s the best QS location in the bubble, and probably best food in EC, you know we are going to say Tangierine Café. With that you’re probably thinking that’s where we would be lunching today. Normally I’d say youbetchabutt! Today, though, we felt like mixing it up and gave Spice Road Table a go. Last time we ate here was shortly after they opened and they were offering 20% off to stir up business. It was ok then and the menu had changed a bit since. We walked right up and were immediately seated, inside thankfully. We had a great view of SE from our seats.
IMG_6307.JPG

Since our last visit the menu had expanded quite a bit and it was difficult choosing what to get.
IMG_6302.JPG

IMG_6303.JPG

Picking what to drink was also difficult. I’ve never been impressed with the area’s beer choice and went with some regional wine. I actually have some family from Lebanon so I thought it was cool to try something from there and went with the Ksara Reserve Du Couvent(right). DW went with the Bodegas Zerran from Spain(left). Both were excellent and the DW argues her was better. My wine palette is far less sophisticated and all I can say is it’s a red wine that didn’t suck.
IMG_6306.JPG

For lunch we ultimately stuck to the original theme of SRT and went tapas with the Brie Fondue and the Mediterranean Vegetable Platter.
IMG_6308.JPG

IMG_6309.JPG

The food was excellent and a pleasant surprise, service was pretty decent too. The hummus fries(aka falafel) and the stuffed grape leaves were outstanding. We relaxed a bit while enjoying our food and wine while pounding some water too. Overall a great experience AND 20% off for DVC members which wasn’t expected!

Following! I saw they had the Pluto & the Daisy when we got ours but they gave us both Daisy tho. I should have asked.
We figured they would give us one each and that would be it but to our surprise they gave each of us a Daisy and a Pluto!

PolynesianPrincess

Following along!

Super jealous you got the Pluto magnet. He's my favorite and I won't be back til September so I'll miss him :( There's always eBay! lol

LOVE AKL / Kidani. We stayed there in a studio savannah view last September and your pics are making me want to go back like NOW!!!

Edited to add I really like Tangierine Café! We try to eat there at least once a trip!

dizfan917

Saturday May 11th cont.

So, again, if you know us and ask what’s the best QS location in the bubble, and probably best food in EC, you know we are going to say Tangierine Café. With that you’re probably thinking that’s where we would be lunching today. Normally I’d say youbetchabutt! Today, though, we felt like mixing it up and gave Spice Road Table a go. Last time we ate here was shortly after they opened and they were offering 20% off to stir up business. It was ok then and the menu had changed a bit since. We walked right up and were immediately seated, inside thankfully. We had a great view of SE from our seats.
View attachment 378674

Since our last visit the menu had expanded quite a bit and it was difficult choosing what to get.
View attachment 378671
View attachment 378672

Picking what to drink was also difficult. I’ve never been impressed with the area’s beer choice and went with some regional wine. I actually have some family from Lebanon so I thought it was cool to try something from there and went with the Ksara Reserve Du Couvent(right). DW went with the Bodegas Zerran from Spain(left). Both were excellent and the DW argues her was better. My wine palette is far less sophisticated and all I can say is it’s a red wine that didn’t suck.
View attachment 378673

For lunch we ultimately stuck to the original theme of SRT and went tapas with the Brie Fondue and the Mediterranean Vegetable Platter.
View attachment 378675
View attachment 378676

The food was excellent and a pleasant surprise, service was pretty decent too. The hummus fries(aka falafel) and the stuffed grape leaves were outstanding. We relaxed a bit while enjoying our food and wine while pounding some water too. Overall a great experience AND 20% off for DVC members which wasn’t expected!

We figured they would give us one each and that would be it but to our surprise they gave each of us a Daisy and a Pluto!

The pitcher of sangria is good, too!! :geek:

lostpro9het

Original Poster
LOVE AKL / Kidani. We stayed there in a studio savannah view last September and your pics are making me want to go back like NOW!!!

Edited to add I really like Tangierine Café! We try to eat there at least once a trip!
AKL is our home resort for a reason. Like you, we cant get enough of the themeing and beauty in the place.

We typically hit TC every trip too. They are pretty consistent and we love the food.

The pitcher of sangria is good, too!! :geek:
I was tempted but figured it might be a premix scenario and figured it would comeout weak.

I'm anxious to hear if there was any mac 'n cheese to be had at Jiko during this visit... ?!
Our Jiko visit was insanely good. We even made a point of writing WDW praising our experience.

NothatDonald

My wife
Saturday May 11th cont.
View attachment 378621

View attachment 378623

View attachment 378622

My wife loves Geirs fragrances. But I must warn you - that Laila is the Devil! She puts a little of that stuff on and she knows that I’ll give her anything she asks for. Another random trip? Dang you Laila!

TheMouseFan

Yay! Glad to see you've started your report! We haven't had internet all week thanks to the 13 tornadoes that tried to destroy Dayton, so I was excited to 1) have internet today, and 2) see your report was up! Can't wait to hear about everything, but especially the cruise since we are hopefully taking another one in 2021!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom