BRUTAL New Commercial!

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

Original Poster
So today I'm just sitting here watching football like a big, tough, dude that I am. THEN I get TOTALLY sucker punched by this new ad that Disney has apparently just released. I was just curious if anyone else had seen it and what they thought about it. I'm definitely dreading the day when the kids think they're "too cool" or "too big" for Disneyworld but we go all the time and maybe they won't go through that phase but to all you parents who have maybe dealt with that phase is it as bad as it looks and do you ever wish you could just freeze time with your kids there? This commercial will really make you wish you could!

monykalyn

Nah- they return as college program kids, we move on to Universal for a bit, explore the IRL world and then return with grandkids! Our grandson thinks we should always meet at “Mickeys house”. Got to take him to his first MNSSHP this year, and will be back with him (and his mom and dad) in 41 days. Always something to look forward to :)

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

Original Poster
Nah- they return as college program kids, we move on to Universal for a bit, explore the IRL world and then return with grandkids! Our grandson thinks we should always meet at “Mickeys house”. Got to take him to his first MNSSHP this year, and will be back with him (and his mom and dad) in 41 days. Always something to look forward to :)
Definitely always something to look forward to. We only go a matter of months between trips but even in just that short time there is still something new to experience by the time we get back. I'm just dreading the day that they grow up because it's so much fun when they're little. We were Disney diehards before we had kids but it just adds so much more to the magic to experience it again through their eyes. I loved it when I was a kid and now my kids love it.

Goofyernmost

Well, that was pretty dramatic, but then again the purpose was to rip your heart out and go twice a week before they all grow up. My girls went to WDW with me even when they were in college, but brace yourself because it is much different when they are older. They don't go running to Princesses for one thing or call you Daddy or Mommy, they do call you Dad or Mom though and that is the way it should be.

However, most of the time life doesn't just stop there. My girls married and had children of their own and I went with them and in one case brought all of the families. My Daughters, their Husbands and their children (my grand children) that were young enough to run to see the Princesses. So goes the cycle of life. There is a brief period when they are doing what they need to do to be independent and, in my opinion, as long as you let them do that they will quickly circle back to want to be with you and do things with you because they no longer feel that you are trying to be Dad or Mom, at that point just being a friend that they respect will let you relive, in a different format all the great times you remember when they were small. Life is now and has always been, what we make it.

Last edited:

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

Original Poster
It got me. I was weeping.
Yeah and I really think the reason it gets me so bad is because I have a little girl. We had our little boy first and then when we found out we were having a girl my wife's Dr was like "you just wait and see but you're gonna be wrapped around her finger" and man that is so true. I love both my kids the same but there's just a different sorta "dynamic" or something to it when it's your little girl and you're a dad and this tapped into that for me.

Goofyernmost

Yeah and I really think the reason it gets me so bad is because I have a little girl. We had our little boy first and then when we found out we were having a girl my wife's Dr was like "you just wait and see but you're gonna be wrapped around her finger" and man that is so true. I love both my kids the same but there's just a different sorta "dynamic" or something to it when it's your little girl and you're a dad and this tapped into that for me.
That was the plan and obviously they haven't lost their talent to tap in to that particular vulnerability.

Goofyernmost

Well, better than Greg saying: "Hi Mike, hi Carrol" after he moves into his own 'pad'(the den)
I will admit to luck in that area. My girls made a seamless transition from Daddy to Dad and even though they are both in their 40's now it is still Dad. The only thing that, at this point in time, surpasses that is when I was able to hear my small Grandchildren call me Gampa. Now that they are older it's Grandpa... still music to my ears.

Last edited:

eliza61nyc

lol, don't worry if they are anything like my brood, they never outgrow their love. My kids literally had a meltdown the first time they found out we were going to the world by themselves and I think they were 18, 20 and 22. ;)

One of my favorite all time commercials is an apple christmas commercial of 2018. same type of emotion. what I thought was sheer genius is that they never say the products name.

As @Goofyernmost said, its a different dynamic when the kids are small but I have to say I'm loving these trips also as a family of adults.

Last edited:

Michaelson

I have two daughters, both in their late 30's now, and what's sad is rather than being hit by the sentimentality of the thing, I guess I've been staring at technology too long. All I could think of when I watched that commercial was 'how did he get such good video on a cell phone that long ago, let alone keep the file?'

Regards! Michaelson

I went to Disney World for the first time at 6 years old and cried when I left. 40 years later, still going and still shed a tear when I leave. IF you truly love Disney World you will never be too old to go! Great commercial as my daughter and I have started our own Daddy Daughter trip to Disney so this really tugs at my heart!

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
I thought it was touching. Brutal would be Thanos...
dropping Gamora over the cliff, then an off screen voice asking, "Thanos, you just acquired the Soul Stone -- now what are you going to do?!?"

JIMINYCR

Its a real heartbreak to all parents but kids have to grow up someday. We had our first trip years ago when DS was little, and he grew up on taking Disney trips with us. Our first adult only trips were difficult to take but they were enjoyable on a different level. The trips we now take when adult DS tags along they are now even more fun because we can relate as adults. We raised him right because he has retained his love of all things Disney

correcaminos

Didn't do anything for me. Maybe because my dad goes with us now and then. The tables just turned. My nearly 12yo just planned 2 trips for next year with me. Don't see that changing anytime soon.

KikoKea

Nope. We took our boys several times when they were teens, and when they whined, "Again to Disneyworld?", we went without them. Left them at home, and we had a great time. They were older, about 16 and 19, and were shocked that we'd leave them home. Ha! In a heartbeat!

Now, 11 years later, they love going with us when it works out. Just visited with DL with one son & family, including 2 yr old grandson, and will visit WDW with other son and his wife. It was fun when they were younger, and it is still just as much fun when older...except there's grandkids now, and that's even better.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom