BROWN DERBY or 50's PRIME TIME????

momrek06

Original Poster
DH & I will be in Disney late Jan and I would like to hear from anyone who has eaten at either Restaurant! I am picking the night that MGM has their Extra Magic Hour, we can eat and stay in the Park late!! So please POST with all your thoughts! It is up to YOU all my faithful friends on WDWMAGIC!!!!:sohappy:
THANK YOU!!!!

Christina

Hey, congrats on your trip later this month (I'll be in Disneyland Resort) and I hope you have a blast. I've eaten at both, so here's a quick summary...

50's Prime Time Cafe: You will get many 50's "enthusiasts" and I am not one of them. That atmosphere of the place is really a fun, casual one where you are picked on by sibling relatives who make you eat all your food, keep your elbows off the table, and vice versa. This 50's Prime time is essentially an ATTRACTION as I consider the food to be below par. Last time I went there (FEB 2005) we went there for a lunch and the food was okay, nothing special. And a big part of the 50's Prime time Cafe is the waiter/ess. If the waiter is not particually involved in the storyline, this dining spot may turn out into a total bust for both fun and food.

Brown Derby: I love the food here. It's simply spectacular and the atmosphere is so relaxed and yet it seems miles away from a themepark. The food is excellent, the experience is wonderful, and you should expect a much more "adult" meal at the Brown Debry. I highly recommend it- they have excellent vegatarian entrees and desserts. Try to fit in dessert here- I really can't think where this meal can go wrong!

Whatever you eat at...enjoy!

Computer Magic

Christina said:
Hey, congrats on your trip later this month (I'll be in Disneyland Resort) and I hope you have a blast. I've eaten at both, so here's a quick summary...

50's Prime Time Cafe: You will get many 50's "enthusiasts" and I am not one of them. That atmosphere of the place is really a fun, casual one where you are picked on by sibling relatives who make you eat all your food, keep your elbows off the table, and vice versa. This 50's Prime time is essentially an ATTRACTION as I consider the food to be below par. Last time I went there (FEB 2005) we went there for a lunch and the food was okay, nothing special. And a big part of the 50's Prime time Cafe is the waiter/ess. If the waiter is not particually involved in the storyline, this dining spot may turn out into a total bust for both fun and food.

Brown Derby: I love the food here. It's simply spectacular and the atmosphere is so relaxed and yet it seems miles away from a themepark. The food is excellent, the experience is wonderful, and you should expect a much more "adult" meal at the Brown Debry. I highly recommend it- they have excellent vegatarian entrees and desserts. Try to fit in dessert here- I really can't think where this meal can go wrong!

I agree with Christina.

The two places are completly different. Prime Time is a theme where as Brown Derby is a bit more upscale. Hence the price difference.

If you are going for the food, Brown Derby hands down a better meal. Looking for entertainment go Prime Time.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
Christina said:

Have to agree as well. 50's Prime Time is fun, but the food isn't good at all....the Brown Derby is very good though. The Sci-Fi Drive In is also fun, and the food is definitely better than what's at the 50's Prime Time.

RickEff

Okay...you've all convinced me. I'll try the Derby AGAIN. It's the one restaurant on property that has disappointed me three times. I swore I'd never go back - but now I guess I'll try it again. It's been at least 4 years since I went.

I do agree with the 50's primetime diner though. Quite honestly, I find MGM the worst place for dining as far as theme parks go at WDW. I enjoy the Flametree at AK much more than any place at MGM. But - I'll try again!!:wave:

Computer Magic

RickEff said:
Okay...you've all convinced me. I'll try the Derby AGAIN. It's the one restaurant on property that has disappointed me three times. I swore I'd never go back - but now I guess I'll try it again. It's been at least 4 years since I went.

I do agree with the 50's primetime diner though. Quite honestly, I find MGM the worst place for dining as far as theme parks go at WDW. I enjoy the Flametree at AK much more than any place at MGM. But - I'll try again!!:wave:
The other choice is to take the ferry over to the Yact/Beach/Board Walk area. They have great food there. Beaches-n-Cream and Yachtman are two of my favorites :slurp:

It's a nice break away.

momrek06

Original Poster
EVERYONE ON THIS FORUM IS SO AWESOME!! I love reading all your advice. I have more notes jotted down in my WDW journal from all of you so my trip is so eventful at WDW. And my fam is so thrilled everytime I annouce I have gottten so more fab advice from these POSTS!!!!:sohappy:

dxwwf3

There's nothing on the main menu I'll eat at the Brown Derby and the Children's Menu Chicken Breast tastes good, but it's not quite enough for a 6'3" 21 year old :lol:. The highlight of any meal there is the wonderful bread.

The Pot Roast at Prime Time is usually my favorite meal at WDW. The last one I got wasn't as good as usual, but one decent one out of about 15 fantastic ones isn't too bad. I haven't really tried anything else on the menu there so I can't comment on anything else. But it is good to have a place where you can get simple, regular food. The onion rings used to be unbelieveable there, but now they have went to a beer batter style you can get anywhere. They used to be so unique and so good.

tink rules

I haven't been to the 50's in a while so I can't help there...

BUT....................

I did go to The Brown Derby at the beginning of Dec. and I have to say it was one of the best meals I had all vacation.

Try the Filet Mignon - the potatoes are great too... sort of a little bit of horse raddish in it....

& don't forget the Grapefruit cake!!!!!

lawyergirl77

NemoRocks said:
Have to agree as well. 50's Prime Time is fun, but the food isn't good at all....the Brown Derby is very good though. The Sci-Fi Drive In is also fun, and the food is definitely better than what's at the 50's Prime Time.
Ooh - I would definitely disagree with this... The Sci-Fi has never been anything but ick for me (have tried it three times, both at lunch and dinner), but I do love the 50's... Even when my waiter/waitres is nothing special, the meatloaf makes me happy!! :slurp:

And I've had one good and two disappointing experiences at the Brown Derby... It can be good, but I'm not willing to keep trying it when it costs so much!!

But I do agree with the fact that the dining options at MGM, while creative, have some of the worst kitchens in the World... It's pretty disappointing.

dxwwf3

I always thought that MGM was the 2nd best park for resturants behind Epcot. Magic Kingdom would HAVE to be the worst, IMO. Other than catching the Liberty Tree Tavern at Lunch, it seems almost everything else is a character buffet or average counter service spot (With the exception of Cosmic Ray's of course).

Pippa

We have always had excellent meals at the Brown Derby, last November while we were on our honeymoon they even gave us two complimentary glasses of champagne!!

surfsupdon

I've been to both several times. Both offer delicious meals. If I had to select one, I would choose 50s Prime Time b/c it is much more fun!!! As said before, it could be considered an attraction, whereas Brown Derby is a restaurant offering tasty yet expensive meals.

GaryT977

I've only eaten at 50's Prime Time, but I've eaten there a few times, and I absolutely loved it. The food was great and reasonably priced, the atmosphere is amazing, and the wait staff is excellent and very entertaining. Highly recommended. And be sure to ask for the dessert menu!

BRER STITCH

HAVE YOU RULED OUT MAMA MELROSE'S ALREADY????

If not, I'd suggest that for the best dinner at MGM.

Friends LOVE the 50's Primetime Cafe and I usually end up going there at least once a trip, but I don't find the food to be very good.

Brown Derby is OK if you are in the mood for their menu and prices.

Sci-Fi Drive In is a fun experience but the food...umm....takes a back seat to the environment! :D

Of all the places at MGM, I now like Mama Melrose's food the best and always try to eat there if I am at MGM for dinner. Great stuff!

:slurp:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom