Broken Hopper Effect at "It's Tough to Be a Bug"

FoozieBear

Original Poster
Earlier this week, I visited Disney's Animal Kingdom for the day, and while I was in the showing for It's Tough to Be a Bug, I was surprised to see that Disney had run the film without the animatronic Hopper apart of it, which is a big staple of what makes the show so great. As of Monday, the show runs the same, but it adds a weird distortion, seeing as how his voice still plays over, now in some odd omniscient form, and that Flik reacts to where Hopper should be standing, just now completely dark and empty.

It's possible this was fixed over the past few days, but I don't know any Cast Members who work at this attraction who can confirm if this is now up and running. If anyone knows if this was fixed, please feel free to add to this thread.

peter11435

Earlier this week, I visited Disney's Animal Kingdom for the day, and while I was in the showing for It's Tough to Be a Bug, I was surprised to see that Disney had run the film without the animatronic Hopper apart of it, which is a big staple of what makes the show so great. As of Monday, the show runs the same, but it adds a weird distortion, seeing as how his voice still plays over, now in some odd omniscient form, and that Flik reacts to where Hopper should be standing, just now completely dark and empty.

It's possible this was fixed over the past few days, but I don't know any Cast Members who work at this attraction who can confirm if this is now up and running. If anyone knows if this was fixed, please feel free to add to this thread.
This is a relatively common occurrence anytime hopper breaks and can't immediately be repaired. I've seen it done occasionally as far back as the mid 2000's

FoozieBear

Original Poster
I thought they had just fixed him in the last refurb? I know he was mostly down a few months ago as well. Shame...

Yeah, I don't know how long this was running for since it's been quite some time since my last visit. According to a cast member I spoke to, apparently, Hopper has been "very stubborn" to come out and perform, and it's been like this for a while. Then, of course, I told them that it sounds like Hopper and the Yeti must get along quite well. :)

FoozieBear

Original Poster
He was working in July. Maybe when he breaks during the day they don't think it's worth it to close the attraction to fix it, so they wait to do it overnight.

Very possibly. I guess I can't blame them for not closing down such a crowd-eater for something that most people aren't paying attention to (the friend I was with didn't even question the absurdity), but it did feel odd not having it there. It's possible it was fixed overnight, but I didn't get a chance to head back there.

KBLovedDisney

Rumor is they are replacing him with Stitch
No.....NO......
tumblr_mopb3jjEaB1s8hcueo1_400.gif

Cmdr_Crimson

It's pretty much how it is when you watch it on youtube...

HonorableMention

Happened to me in March and it was so odd like you said. Didn't ruin the experience, but I was really looking forward to that part of the show. At least it semi-works since you could assume Hopper is just flying around...

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I don't remember the show bit by bit from memory but if Flik interacts "directly" with Hopper they should have a backup B-mode should Hopper go 101.

The thought of him flying around the room while talking to Flik could be a serviceable alternative. I actually like the idea of an omniscient...er Where's Hopper? backup premise. It would give reason for Flik to cower in fear. Although for it to work the Flik AA would need to go in B-mode as well; with a different range of motion and new eye movements that have Flik following Hopper's voice as it floats around the room.

Less is more? I know Hopper already freaks out the kiddos but as a secondary B-mode backup plan; a chilly omniscience Hopper in the shadows might be even scarier. If Hopper fails to hop an "indirect" interaction would be the next best thing.

HonorableMention

I don't remember the show bit by bit from memory but if Flik interacts "directly" with Hopper they should have a backup B-mode should Hopper go 101.

The thought of him flying around the room while talking to Flik could be a serviceable alternative. I actually like the idea of an omniscient...er Where's Hopper? backup premise. It would give reason for Flik to cower in fear. Although for it to work the Flik AA would need to go in B-mode as well; with a different range of motion and new eye movements that have Flik following Hopper's voice as it floats around the room.

Less is more? I know Hopper already freaks out the kiddos but as a secondary B-mode backup plan; a chilly omniscience Hopper in the shadows might be even scarier. If Hopper fails to hop an "indirect" interaction would be the next best thing.
The Flik onscreen reacts to where Hopper is supposed to appear. The best alternative I could see would be shadow projections or something, but I don't believe any plusses that aren't necessary would come to the show. Wasn't it only converted to digital a couple of months ago?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom