Bringing snacks into parks

sbkline

Original Poster
I had a friend message me on facebook today and they are planning to spend a couple days at the Disney parks in April. She asked me if it is okay to bring snacks and drinks into the parks. I wasn't sure exactly what the answer is. Is it completely allowed? Is it officially forbidden, but just not enforced? Or do they actually tell you at bag check that you can't bring that stuff into the park?

I'm pretty sure my wife has put bottled water in her bag before and we got into the parks fine. But I thought I had seen others here post before about having to leave your food in a locker and then come back later when you're ready to eat it. I just wanted to make sure I give her the correct information.

MissM

You are allowed to bring in food/snacks/drinks with a handful of exceptions. No alcohol, no glass bottles (except baby food), and no hard-side coolers. Pretty much everything else is ok!

Rob562

You are allowed to bring in food/snacks/drinks with a handful of exceptions. No alcohol, no glass bottles (except baby food), and no hard-side coolers. Pretty much everything else is ok!

And I think no bags of any kind on wheels...

-Rob

Timekeeper

And I think no bags of any kind on wheels...

-Rob

I haven't seen this one enforced, probably because of how moronic it is considering that strollers are allowed. May as well bring a giant bag and just throw it in one of those small, collapsible, lightweight strollers. :brick:

Also, one good alternative to bringing in heavy bottles of water is to purchase a water bottle with a built-in filter and take advantage of the many available water fountains in the parks. I recommend, for example, the Bobble, which is now available in many stores. Only carry what you need, and avoid a ton of added weight to your bags.

BobbleWaterBottle_l.jpg

:sohappy:

nepalostparks

Also, one good alternative to bringing in heavy bottles of water is to purchase a water bottle with a built-in filter and take advantage of the many available water fountains in the parks. I recommend, for example, the Bobble, which is now available in many stores. Only carry what you need, and avoid a ton of added weight to your bags.

A very good alternative, indeed. Just make sure it has a good filter - because the tap water has that distinct "Florida" taste. :lookaroun

nepalostparks

Since I'm a local, I must be immune to this "horrific" tasting water. Whats it taste like?

Coming from the northeast, the water there has a metallic/sulfur taste compared to here. Don't know if I would call it "horrific", but its strong enough for me to avoid drinking straight from the fountains.

ddbowdoin

I bring snacks all the time... the water in the park is downright awful but it is free and I can do it. I also am looking into some of those filtered water bottles. Not sure if I would ever use it since the water up here is pretty good.

As for snacks, granola bars are our friend. They are perfect for us, especially for breakfast since I can only do a full breakfast once, maybe twice a week.

Horizons1

Me too. I still haven't figured this one out. Our fridge has a filter on it, but it tastes just like the water out of the tap. :shrug:

Sounds like the taste of snobbery to me.

I've brought Subway and all sorts of foods into the parks before. Never had a problem.

Since I'm a local, I must be immune to this "horrific" tasting water. Whats it taste like?

I also notice something strange about the water, especially its taste but also that its feels different to shower in. Could just be Disney's piping and well system.

Disney's water comes from an underground aquifer and must be pumped up to the surface, while northeastern water is usually stored in open reservoirs after being collected from streams and snowmelt from hills and mountaintops, and tends to move in quick moving rivers or aqueducts instead of the slow moving aquifer. But, water is water, and while Disney's water pales in comparison to, say, New York's, it's still perfectly drinkable.

Timekeeper

Coming from the northeast, the water there has a metallic/sulfur taste compared to here. Don't know if I would call it "horrific", but its strong enough for me to avoid drinking straight from the fountains.

I can understand that. You could also ask for a cup of tap water from a food service location. That tends to taste "better" than the fountains, and you'll have the option of ice on a hot day.

Yet another pack light alternative is to bring a "water enhancer" product. There are countless options out there, but I prefer products like Mio. They are very small, provide for A LOT of flavored water, and because it's liquid it dissolves immediately unlike the solid-state powder enhancers. Wal-Mart has their own generic "saver" brand. Other products like Zip-Fiz promise to provide a healthy "energy boost" as well, but I still defer to the convenience and great taste of items like Mio.

mio_water.jpg

Of course, I wouldn't use a water enhancer in a bottle with a built-in filter.

Mikester71

I usually wear a smaller sized back pack with a few snacks and a couple bottles of water in it. I am not a big fan of just plain old water, so we usually buy those little drink packets with the different flavours and I throw a couple of those in there too. I'm not partial to the Florida water taste myself. As for snacks...we usually have smaller snacks like granola bars or cereal bars or little bags of mixed nuts; just something to tie us over while in the parks between meals.

Susan Savia

I carry a bottle of water in each day and when it's empty, I refill it at a water fountain. Taste seems okay to me. $2.50 for a bottle of water doesn't.

minniemickeyfan

Yes, snacks are fine, they never say anything to us.
This past trip we tried both the Bobble water bottles shown earlier in the thread as well as the Brita individual water bottles you can get at Target. We ended up liking the Brita one's better. These also have a place to put the water bottle straps that Disney sells so it was also easier to carry if you didn't always have it in your bag.
The Bobbles were okay, but we found the plastic on the sides kept leaving crease marks on them from trying to get any water out of them, which wasn't much water at a time. But anything is better than carrying all those water bottles we used to do.

jlevis

I bring snacks all the time... the water in the park is downright awful but it is free and I can do it. I also am looking into some of those filtered water bottles. Not sure if I would ever use it since the water up here is pretty good.

We use the brita water bottles and they work very well taking all the sulphur taste out of the water.

CaptainShortty

You most certainly can bring in snacks and water/drinks. It's a great way to cut some costs in the parks as those snacks can be quite expensive. Granola bars and crystal light packs (or similar) are great because they're nice and small. We also love fruit snacks in my house. They're nice and small and are a good dose of sugar when the kids are screaming for something sweet in the parks.

plaz10

We love bringing little snacks in the parks. When you are craving something small when your ADR is only an hour away and don't want to spend $5 on something you may not finish. We bring granola bars, beef jerkey sticks, peanuts, fruit snacks, etc...Not a lot - just maybe 2 or 3 items. I'm at Disney so calories don't count - but price does!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom