Bringing food into the parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tramp

Original Poster
In light of recent events in England and the potential for bomb-making materials to be transported in innocuous containers, do you think Disney should prohibit people from bringing food into their theme parks?

I could swear that there was a rule at one time prohibiting guests from entering the parks with their own food but sometime over the years the rule was either relaxed or removed.

What do y'all think?

Erika

In light of recent events in England and the potential for bomb-making materials to be transported in innocuous containers, do you think Disney should prohibit people from bringing food into their theme parks?

I could swear that there was a rule at one time prohibiting guests from entering the parks with their own food but sometime over the years the rule was either relaxed or removed.

What do y'all think?

I haven't brought food in before, but I see baggies of Cheerios in my not-so-distant future. So I am hoping it will be allowed.

DisneySam

This is a little off topic, but last summer a man in front of us tried to bring a small beer cooler into MGM. It was pretty funny.

I have taken a water bottle, and granola bars etc before. I think as long as it isn't like McDonalds or anything you're good.

The Mom

Premium Member
Hi Sweetie! :wave:

I believe the rule is still there, but as you say, it hasn't been enforced in decades. There will always be groups of people who feel that the rule shouldn't apply to them for a variety of reasons, from totally valid ones (allergies, special health diets, etc) to ones of convenience or personal taste (my kids don't like any of the food, the food is unhealthy, or too expensive, or I have to wait too long, etc.)

So even though I can't be bothered taking anything to eat or drink into the park (and if I'm thirsty enough, I'll even drink the water) there are scores of people who will give examples which justify doing it.

brertigger

I have taken a water bottle, and granola bars etc before. I think as long as it isn't like McDonalds or anything you're good.

Once I saw someone in the Fantasmic theater with Chick-Fil-A bags and large Chick-Fil-A drink trays. Those waffle fries looked good...

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
I haven't brought food in before, but I see baggies of Cheerios in my not-so-distant future. So I am hoping it will be allowed.

Cheerios hate freedom... and we must remain vigilant in our cause, to protect freedom loving peoples.. from this axis of breakfast evil.

:lookaroun

raven

I have brought snacks in for years and no one has ever questioned me about it. If they did, I'd just tell them it was for dietary reasons...even though it isn't. But seriously, why would they care?

Tramp

Original Poster
Hi Sweetie! :wave:

I believe the rule is still there, but as you say, it hasn't been enforced in decades. There will always be groups of people who feel that the rule shouldn't apply to them for a variety of reasons, from totally valid ones (allergies, special health diets, etc) to ones of convenience or personal taste (my kids don't like any of the food, the food is unhealthy, or too expensive, or I have to wait too long, etc.)

So even though I can't be bothered taking anything to eat or drink into the park (and if I'm thirsty enough, I'll even drink the water) there are scores of people who will give examples which justify doing it.

Hi hon! :kiss:

LOL...I can't be bothered to take food into the parks either but I've noticed a huge uptick in the number of people doing it. In fact, one guy had a small luggage cart and was told he could not pull it into the park. So he pushed down the handle and carried it thru the turnstyles, put it back on the ground, and pulled it down Main Street.

While waiting for dinner at the Crystal Palace, a family of eleven decided to have their supper of peanut butter and cheese sandwiches on the front porch benches while patrons of the restaurant stood waiting for their names to be called. Then, after 45 minutes, left their coke cans for someone else to clean up.

If the rule still exists maybe it's a good time for Disney to enforce it.

PS; Hope all is well with you!

Tramp

Original Poster

Hi cutie! :wave: Hope baby cutie is doing well. :kiss:

True, there are some necessities in life that should be exempt...cheerios is one. :lol: I just think bringing a ten-piece dinner of KFC pushes it a bit. :rolleyes:

On our last trip I carried one of those small collapsible lunch bag size coolers in my backpack with a couple bottles of water and some small snacks. At bag check securtity looked right at it and didn't say anything about it. He did turn away someone who tried to pull in a grill :lol: , the man didn't understand why he had to take the grill back to the car. I guess there are certain things they tolerate and certain things that they don't...it would be nice to know what the official word is.

barnum42

I believe the rule is still there, but as you say, it hasn't been enforced in decades.

I'm looking at one of the maps from the late 80's - when it was a book. At the bottom of the second page under the heading of "Please Note", it includes, "Food or drink may not be brought into the park" in amongst mention of correct attire, and smoking rules

The current guide maps still mentions smoking and attire restrictions but nothing about bringing in food. This leaves me to believe that the ban was dropped.

barnum42

Regarding whether Disney should now allow people to bring food and drink into the parks, my sceptical side would say that the bean counters are probably already rubbing their hands at the extra cash they can make by implementing such a decision.

MissM

So long as you don't bring in (a) alcohol (b) glass bottles or (c) enough food to set up your own vendor cart, it's not a problem. And honestly, I don't find a single thing wrong with bringing your own drinks/beverages. Between dietary restrictions, medical reasons, and personal food preferences there's honestly no way to strictly demand a no outside food policy.

I've stuck a granola bar or some trail mix in my bag before. Or brought in a bottle of water. Nothing big since I'm only there for a day and I don't mind eating in the parks. But for those who have kids and want to bring cheerios and juice boxes, or those who have dietary restrictions and want to bring their own snack, or even those who prefer to save a few bucks on snacks, I say more power to you.
-m

shoppingnut

He did turn away someone who tried to pull in a grill :lol: , the man didn't understand why he had to take the grill back to the car.

Are you serious, a grill!! Where did this guy think he was going the beach. Wonder what he had with him to cook on said grill.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Few things...

Disney sells a water-bottle holder that is a metal clip attached to a rubber circle with mickey ears on it. It's cute, easy to clip on to your belt, and hold water bottles or sports drinsk easily.

For a long time, WDW has not had a "no food/drink" policy with the exception of no glass, no alcohol, and no coolers that cant fit into lockers. People have such varied dietary restrictions and needs that Disney by no means expects to be able to supply every possible scenario.

As of yesterday though, some resorts were instructing their CMs to tell guests not to bring those items to the parks as they were being told the front gate was refusing them. I'm sick, so i've not gotten out there, and i don't know if this is grapevine miscommunication but atleast 2 different resorts were telling their CMs to tell guests this at check-in.

It might be like how after the transportation bombings in the UK the monorails were swept for unclaimed bags before anyone could board each trip for a few days.

Justa' BigKid

...a family of eleven decided to have their supper of peanut butter and cheese sandwiches on the front porch...

No way! I have never heard of anyone else eating peanut butter and cheese sandwiches. My family thinks that I am so strange for eating peanut butter and cheese sandwiches. Or at least I believe that is the reason they think I am strange. :lookaroun

Hold on, if you meant that they were eating peanut butter sandwiches and also eating cheese sandwiches, disreguard above statement. :rolleyes:

3fordisney

We have brought in apple juice and cheerios for our son before. Whereas, we have know people who have brought in a small cooler of gatorade and sodas. Now that our son will drink more than just apple juice, we can come in empty handed. Its a real hassle bringing that in and keeping up with it. I am curious if the policy will change now.

uglybug2005

Merf is correct. There has not been a ban on outside food/bev (excluding alcohol, glass, and large coolers) for many, many years. WDW wants people to drink plenty of water (safety first) no matter if they buy it, drink it from a fountain, or bring it in themselves. Not So at Universal, where I've seen many bottles of water dumped out/thrown away by security.

CatLady

I'm looking at one of the maps from the late 80's - when it was a book. At the bottom of the second page under the heading of "Please Note", it includes, "Food or drink may not be brought into the park" in amongst mention of correct attire, and smoking rules

Generally, though, most people do'nt get a map until after they enter the park. By that time, they will already have been turned away and had to take their food (or grill!) back to the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom