Bring back New Orleans-what are your thoughts?

Debbie

Original Poster
Yesterday, the recommendations were posted by the Bring Back New Orleans committee. It is so controversial, but in the end everyone cannot be pleased. Tough decisions are going to have to be made.......
Being that we have forum members from all over; what are you are hearing and seeing? What are your thoughts? And any questions; I will try to objectively answer them (or any of our New Orleans area members can too)
Do we New Orleanians look like buffoons? What is the most talked about subject you hear when New Orleans' recovery is discussed?

Nemo14

You certainly do not look like buffoons! I think most people, at least in my circle of friends, are more than sympathetic to all of you. Personally, I saw Punta Gorda after Charley came through, and I can't imagine how I would ever get over something like that. Where do you begin?!!!

That being said, there is a growing tide of resentment of some of the Katrina victims. We hear complaints that there seems to be a sense of entitlement among some of the families, that for whatever reasons, they have not actively sought employment wherever they have been relocated, that better housing should be given to them, etc. To a certain extent, I'm sure that's probably true, but I firmly believe that they are not the majority. We have a few relocated families here in our city, and they are incredibly grateful for the opportunity to start over.

As far as the recent plans for revitalizing NO, I can't imagine that this will ever come to total fruition, but it is nice to think that your beautiful city will bloom again!

Uponastar

I just typed a long response to this thread and lost it!

So, I'll try to keep it short and just tell you that the people of New Orleans are certainly not perceived as buffoons, rather as people who have been dealt a serious blow. Life as you knew it was taken from you in the harshest of ways and now you need to get your bearings back. You need a sense of security and some assurance that everything that can be done will be done to prevent a repeat of the disaster.
As you said, a lot of tough decisions need to be made and a lot of questions need to be answered. Whatever happens, it will take time and patience. In the meantime, the people of New Orleans have the support and prayers of their fellow Americans. That is one thing they can count on.
My best wishes are with you all!

LouDisney

New Orleans was once my home. I lived there for 2, almost 3 years, moved home in 2001. I was not born and raised in Nola, but have loved the city with all my heart since I was a little girl.

I agree with what Uponastar wrote. I don't think anyone perceives you all as buffoons. Whenever I hear anyone discussing New Orleans, people are just so heartbroken over what happened, to the people, to the city and did everything they could to help, they still want to help, they want the city to come back. I have never heard anyone say you guys look like buffoons. My thoughts and prayers are always with you guys.

I have not visited Nola since the hurricane, honestly, I don't know right now if my heart can take it. I make many trips down throughout the year and I am ALWAYS there for Mardi Gras, however this year I will not be and my heart is breaking into a million pieces. Again, my thoughts and prayers are with you all and like you said, not everyone can pleased, but hopefully most will be and the right decisions will be made to bring the most amazing city ever back to what she once was :)

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
I LOVE New Orleans. It's one of my favorite places on the planet . . . but, in my opinion, New Orleans . . . happens . . . it can't be made.

And it certainly can't be made by a bunch of self-important politicians.

I said to my friends, a day or two after Katrina: "New Orleans will come back. It's not a city, it's a force of nature."

But I'm afraid I may have been wrong. If there's one thing that could kill New Orleans, it's politicians.

New Orleans and politicians are as opposite as two things could be. If New Orleans and politicians were clothes, NO would be the ratty, comfortable T-shirt that you wear every chance you get and politicians would be that awful, uncomfortable tuxedo that you only wear when you absolutely have two.

My best hope is that the politicians will get bored soon (as they generally do as soon as an issue drops off the front page) and let New Orleans be itself.

Debbie

Original Poster
My buffoon fear is because noone in the New Orleans government/infrastructure can agree on anything. Many do not want FEMA trailer parks set up near their homes-thus it sets off the racial accusations. The traffic here is horrible, but New Orleans is one of those cities that never plans for the future. The politics are going to doom the city. The school board constantly fights.
The proposal is to wait four months for citizens to declare their intention to rebuild. If not enough percentage commits; the area will not be rebuilt. People are screaming they have the right to rebuild on their property. Yet if not enough come back to an area; will these same people cry that there isn't a firestation nearby, a police station, hospital, schools etc? There isn't any sense in replacing any of these services and their buildings, to serve a handful. Will these same people cry again that noone came to help them bacause they didn't heed the mandatory evacuation? I think some places shouldn't be rebuilt, some rebuilt with higher standards. The 9th ward everyone has heard about, was 75% blighted property. It wasn't safe to stop at a red light.
One thing is for sure, New Orleans is getting closer and closer to the Gulf of Mexico. Flying over the coast gives one an eyefull of how much coast we lost just to this last storm.

lisahb

New Orleanian here

I lived in Kenner, La. I grew up in Metairie . I now live in Birmingham,Al. I just want to say thank you to all of you people who have been so kind to us "evacuees". My house is a huge mess, but repairable. For those who lost everything, you have my sympathy. My DH has found a good job here, and I have also. My little boy has been enrolled in a school here. They even lowered the tuition by $120.00 so that we could afford it.(day care costs a lot more here). Please forgive me when I can't muster alot of sympathy for some of the people from N.O. who acted like animals and depicted such a horrible picture of what n.o. really is. When they claim they didn't have the means to evacuate,ask them if they worked for a living,ask them if they lived off the welfare system. Majority of them did. I don't care how much it costs, if i have to walk the interstate to get my kid out of a city where mass destruction is about to occur, then thats what I'll do. You shouldn't depend on your city to protect you from a hurricane. Protect yourself! I don't think 9th ward should rebuild, it was nothing but trouble there anyway. Well, thanks for letting me vent!!!!

LouDisney

Hi Lisa, I am Lisa too :D
I am from B'ham and it was our pleasure to welcome you guys and are glad to have you here, if it's temporary or permanent. I am glad you have found jobs here and schools for the kids.

CaptainMichael

Ok, I'm a Louisianian, and I say we look like buffoons. I am dismayed that others around the nation don't see it that way even after what has just happened. It was my hope that this hurricane would finally fix what has been broken since the Civil War in New Orleans. With each year , we fall further and further in education quality, economic growth, and retainment of college graduates. The only thing that rises is crime and poverty.

Hurricane Katrina brought about the opportunity for change in New Orleans, an opportunity that has thusfar been squandered. There is still hope and that is the future elections that will hopefully be held soon. It is time for a change at both Mayor of New Orleans and Governor of Louisiana. It is my sincere hope that we can finally make a change now that the majority of the do-nothings are now gone and won't vote. The area is now inhabited by the people who have kept this place afloat for so long which is quite encouraging.

The only positives have come from our Senators and Representatives at the National level and from the National Football League and their commitment to our area.

CaptainMichael

bsandersjr said:
IMO, they should rebuild as a "mini-vegas" here.
And, thank the lord for Houston, TX. Our crime rate has NEVER been so low.
I agree about the "mini-vegas"; however, our not-so-lovely governor does not!

Isn't the crime rate wonderful?

hcswingfield

lisahb said:
I lived in Kenner, La. I grew up in Metairie . I now live in Birmingham,Al. I just want to say thank you to all of you people who have been so kind to us "evacuees".

Welcome to Birmingham, Lisa! I am glad things are working out for you here. I've lived here 16 years and find it a really pleasant place to live. Years ago, I, too, lived in New Orleans, in the French Quarter. I hope the city can find new life, and come back better than ever. I was especially interested to see that the revitalization plans included improving public transit. I wish that would happen here in Birmingham!

lisahb

Thank you all for being so gracious!:)

For str8fan2005: I absolutely know all about randazzo king cakes...That is one thing i will miss alot!!!!!:cry:

I guess I could get one mailed to me. Don't they have a website??

TAC

I agree with the previous posters to a certain extent. I do not think the people of New Orleans are buffoons, but the politicians of New Orleans are. Then again, I think that most, if not all, politicians are buffoons. :)

A week after Katrina, there was talk of the city being in a bowl, and all the money (Federal tax dollars) being spent to keep the city dry. There was a link that I posted in a thread around that time, about the Old River and the money (Federal tax dollars) being spent by the Army Corps of Engineers to divert the Mississippi River to keep New Orleans dry. In my opinion, we (they) are fighting Mother Nature, and eventually we are going to lose, if we are not losing already. I feel that we need to stop trying to divert the river. If we do that, then nature will take it's course, and the Mississippi Delta will start to be replenished, which will "move" New Orleans further away from the Gulf of Mexico.

Unfortunately, much of the 9th Ward and other areas South and East of New Orleans were built on parts of that same Mississippi Delta. The river was diverted, the land was compressed and dried, and the politicians said, "Go ahead and build homes there."

My original opinion was to not rebuild the city at all. Especially since the city is indeed in a bowl. However, I have slightly changed my opinion to at least rebuild certain areas. However, those people that intend to rebuild should only have one chance. If you rebuild, fine. However, if you are flooded again, you will receive no money, and you will then be forced to move.

A few people remarked about the stupidity of having a city that was below sea level. Others pointed out the stupidity of building a city on a major earthquake fault line. I could be wrong, but I don't see where San Francisco is getting BILLIONS of Federal tax dollars to divert the fault line. They may, however, be receiving Federal tax dollars to design "earthquake resistant" buildings.

As Gary pointed out, if the politicians start pointing the finger and themselves, instead of everyone else, and if we leave New Orleans alone, the city will come back. And, I think we need to spend tax dollars wisely, and rethink what we are going with the money that is being spent.

My $0.02

Debbie said:
My buffoon fear is because noone in the New Orleans government/infrastructure can agree on anything. Many do not want FEMA trailer parks set up near their homes-thus it sets off the racial accusations. The traffic here is horrible, but New Orleans is one of those cities that never plans for the future. The politics are going to doom the city. The school board constantly fights.
The proposal is to wait four months for citizens to declare their intention to rebuild. If not enough percentage commits; the area will not be rebuilt. People are screaming they have the right to rebuild on their property. Yet if not enough come back to an area; will these same people cry that there isn't a firestation nearby, a police station, hospital, schools etc? There isn't any sense in replacing any of these services and their buildings, to serve a handful. Will these same people cry again that noone came to help them bacause they didn't heed the mandatory evacuation? I think some places shouldn't be rebuilt, some rebuilt with higher standards. The 9th ward everyone has heard about, was 75% blighted property. It wasn't safe to stop at a red light.
One thing is for sure, New Orleans is getting closer and closer to the Gulf of Mexico. Flying over the coast gives one an eyefull of how much coast we lost just to this last storm.

MKCP 1985

Hey, Louisiana. Y'all got a flood after the hurricane. We got the winds AND the flood. I know you had a larger population than we did, and had more deaths than we did, but take a look at some of this:

Waveland

Bay St Louis
Where my kids go to school.
Pass Christian My home town.

Long Beach

Gulfport (You REALLY ought to click on this one, and scroll down to the fourth and fifth video files!

Biloxi I was just in Biloxi this week, drove Highway 90, the beachfront highway. There is a cemetary that comes right up to the highway. Even now, 5 months after the storm, burial vaults are still exposed, broken and open after the storm surge. The pictures in this link are only a taste and don't really do justice to the large scale destruction.

Ocean Springs

Pascagoula

Now, the distance from Waveland to Pascagoula is SIXTY FOUR MILES. So, just please remember this was one GREAT BIG STORM that affected a heckuva lot more people than New Orleans.

I'm just saying . . .

But to answer the question, I know that New Orleans will come back. There are already businesses reopened in downtown. Several of the renowned restaurants have reopened. K-Paul's is open. Emeril's is open. Heck, the House of Blues is re-opened. :sohappy: New Orleans will endure.

CaptainMichael

I think some people have the wrong idea about what New Orleans was. N.O. hasn't been a "great" city by any means for a loooooooong time. Sure N.O. is great to those that just see the Mardi Gras and Party and aspect because you aren't here for the rest of the year when crime and bureacracy run rampant through the streets.

We don't second-line and party all day every day. This is a real place with SERIOUS problems. Part of the problem is gone, but we are still stuck with the politicians that were elected with their help.

The original city (The French Quarter) was built above sea level and saw no water damage. The damage to N.O. was man made. The ineptitude at both state and national levels are at fault for not better protecting the city by better maintaining the levees and the coastline. Hopefully, the Dutch system can and will be implemented. It will require a serious committment from Washington.

And I will support MKCP by saying that it isn't fair that the MS Gulf Coast gets overlooked in all of this. I think the eye passed between my town (Slidell) and the MS Gulf Coast. My aunt lost everything that used to be her house except for the slab.

Being above sea level doesn't stop tidal surges and winds from devastating an area. In fact, they do worse than floods.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom