Brightline/Virgin Trains USA

Neel24

Original Poster
Hi!

I know that Brightline/Virgin Trains USA is planning a stop near Disney. If it happens does anyone know where it could be located or if you could choose where would you put it? Any chance a direct stop in a place that’s walkable to the park without having to take a bus or car from the stop?

Bocabear

Hi!

I know that Brightline/Virgin Trains USA is planning a stop near Disney. If it happens does anyone know where it could be located or if you could choose where would you put it? Any chance a direct stop in a place that’s walkable to the park without having to take a bus or car from the stop?
As far as I know, the Brightline will only have one stop in Orlando...not an additional at Disney. The station will be next to the airport....Which makes that idea for a light rail to Disney and Universal pretty interesting...

JaxFLBear

As far as I know, the Brightline will only have one stop in Orlando...not an additional at Disney. The station will be next to the airport....Which makes that idea for a light rail to Disney and Universal pretty interesting...
Actually, Virgin Trains USA (formerly Brightline) has signed a letter of intent with WDW for a station which would be in addition to intermodal station under construction at MCO.

imarc

Granted, it's 25 pages, but lots of discussion -- I don't think any solid answers about the location of the stop -- here:

bpiper

There will actually be another station in Orlando. As the Train leaves airport property on the south side, it will join the tracks currently used by Sunrail. It will make a stop at the Sunrail Meadow Woods station. After that, the tracks will join the median of the greenway heading west to I-4.

AndyS2992

A high speed train line from MCO to Disney Springs would be awesome. Love going to Disneyland Paris since you get on the Eurostar train in London and two hours later the train pulls right in to Disney Village and you hop off and you’re there with all parks and hotels walking distance or with shuttle buses if you prefer. I’d love WDW to have this since I certainly wont be paying to park my car at a resort and the Magical Express buses are slow and not as reliable.

bpiper

A high speed train line from MCO to Disney Springs would be awesome. Love going to Disneyland Paris since you get on the Eurostar train in London and two hours later the train pulls right in to Disney Village and you hop off and you’re there with all parks and hotels walking distance or with shuttle buses if you prefer. I’d love WDW to have this since I certainly wont be paying to park my car at a resort and the Magical Express buses are slow and not as reliable.
This will not be a High Speed train in the sense of what they have in Europe. It will be a "Higher Speed" train.
Trains will operate at up to 79 mph between Miami and West Palm Beach, up to 110 mph between West Palm Beach and Cocoa, and up to 125 mph between Cocoa and the Orlando Airport. The stretch leaving the Orlando airport will have a number of fairly tight turns along with the Meadow Woods station leading to the Greenway which will hold the speeds down. It should open up in the Greenway median but it may not get up to full speed before it has to start slowing for the Disney station.

homerdance

Very unlikely this is really a HSR, more like a faster rail. The train station will likely be in this general area.

Also, there is plans on having 1 stop between MCO and WDW to connect to SunRail around the meadow woods station.

halltd

Location is by FLO and Wide World of Sports. Bus Service will be needed to get anywhere.
I don't know that the location is finalized yet. If you look through the I4 Beyond the Ultimate drawings on the FDOT website, you can find a sheet that shows the rail right of way and also the "Disney HSR Station" as it's labeled on the drawings. It's further South by the Mickey Ear power stanchion.

lazyboy97o

I don't know that the location is finalized yet. If you look through the I4 Beyond the Ultimate drawings on the FDOT website, you can find a sheet that shows the rail right of way and also the "Disney HSR Station" as it's labeled on the drawings. It's further South by the Mickey Ear power stanchion.
I believe that was the location of the Disney station for FDOT’s dead Orlando-Tampa high speed rail project.

bpiper

Do you have a link for them? I would like to look at them.

That would make more sense. Everything I have read says that the line will be in the median of the Greenway until it hits I-4. That location is south of the junction of the Greenway and I-4 while that FLO location is north of the Greenway/I-4 junction. To reach the FLO location, the tracks would have to leave the Greenway right of way before I-4 which means the tracks would have to be grade separated from local traffic in between the 2 highways. This would drive up costs dramatically...

I seem to remember that there once was a proposal to have the tracks come from the airport in the median of the Beachline and then head south in the median of I-4. The FLO station location would make sense in that design.

Last edited:

Lensman

This post in the main thread has Brightline's proposals for the alignment just outside or inside of WDW.

Moderators: It really seems to me that we should merge this thread into the original one.

Until then, I guess I'll post links to all the relevant posts from the original thread.

Here is the post by @Hitmanatee on the station design from the *original* now-canceled HSR that involved a proposed station at I-4.
The "red" alignment in the Brightline proposal could involve a station like this.

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

For the USA, anything above 100 is high speed rail. There is no magic number that makes it high speed rail, although for new builds it’s typically above 150.

Either way, this will be hsr as far as USA is concerned. And it’s plenty fast enough to be practical for this system.

I rode it during its first few weeks of operation and wish them a lot of success.

halltd

This post in the main thread has Brightline's proposals for the alignment just outside or inside of WDW.

View attachment 377637

Moderators: It really seems to me that we should merge this thread into the original one.

Until then, I guess I'll post links to all the relevant posts from the original thread.

Here is the post by @Hitmanatee on the station design from the *original* now-canceled HSR that involved a proposed station at I-4.
The "red" alignment in the Brightline proposal could involve a station like this.
Interesting! I hadn't seen this before. I was just browsing through the FDOT Beyond the Ultimate drawings because I was curious as to what I-4 was going to look like between Universal and Disney. That's when I noticed the HSR ROW in the middle of I-4. I know it's been updated since the State version since the station by the Convention Center is no longer on those plans. But, again, I don't think any of this is finalized since that leg isn't even approved yet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom