Trip Report Brifraz's Vaguely Live Rated R Trip Report

OK, so that thread title is a bit misleading.

Why rated R? Well, this is my 17th trip report which means that my trip reports can now get into R movies without a parent (and get drafted as well). It's a little scary how fast they grow up, isn't it? I'm a little worried that 4 trip reports from now, I'll just post a single picture of the Rose and Crown and be done with it since at 21, I expect that is all my trip report will be doing.

Why vaguely live? I make a rather meager attempt to post updates to the TR from my phone throughout each day. Due to my limited ability to utilize modern technology, rather outdated iPhone (5, in case you were wondering), and failure to remember to post at times the live aspect becomes vague at best and often totally obscured.

If somehow you've missed out on the fun of a Brifraz trip report in the past, let me welcome you to our family. We are a family of three whose lives are pretty much totally dictated by the world of public education. I'm a high school music teacher, my wife (@MeffysMom) is an English and drama teacher, and our daughter is a high school sophomore. We are at three different high schools and all highly involved in after school activities (marching band, jazz band, pit orchestra, plays, musicals, academic team, cross country...the list goes on from there) so vacations during the school year are certainly a premium. However, we have made time thrice in the last four years to do the Half Marathon weekend - it's tough, but we make it happen (if you've followed our trip reports before, you know the vast majority of our trips are heat and crowds of summer or cool and crowds of Christmas). Here's me (the one on the left).

Three years ago, my wife ran her first half marathon at Disney and then last year both girls ran the half marathon and it was our daughter's first. While I'd love to be running with them, I did quite a bit of running in my youth and have the knees to show for it - a 5K is pretty much my max. In fact, that year that my wife did her first marathon, I did the 5K with our daughter. In fact, that's me on the left again...I did hear from quite a few folks that I was the prettiest Anna that morning.

And here are the two girls in the midst of the half marathon last year, posing with their twins.

Yes, @MeffysMom does enjoy sewing some unique costumes. In the coming days, you can look forward to seeing Minnie Mouse, Megara from Hercules, and a couple of Mary Poppins (classic and modern).

What else can you expect in the coming days? Well, pretty commando touring. We've actually slowed down in the past few years, but you can still expect to see us hitting all the headliners in each park (generally before noon each day) and catching most of the night shows as well. On race days, we make sure to have the afternoon nap, but other than those few hours, we tend to be on the go pretty much all the time. I'll try to update on actual wait times (not what the app lists, but how long we actually wait) and of course, will post lots of food pictures. And, once the girls get done the big race a whole mess of character pictures.

We also are planners. Extensive planners. We have two major plans fully typed and printed out for this trip as well as quite a few plan B's in place for each day. In addition to planning our 25 trips together, @MeffysMom and I have planned trips for a number of other families. Which makes the beginning of this trip a real interesting prospect. The plan is already thrown out of wack.

This coming Wednesday, 2/20, I have a concert to conduct at 7pm. The plan was, to leave home in Maryland right after the concert and drive all night so we could arrive in the World right around lunchtime. Well, the forecast for Wednesday now has us getting 5+ inches of snow plus a quarter inch of ice. Not ideal driving conditions. But also, not ideal school conditions. So, we will be anxiously awaiting that 5am update from the school district on Wednesday morning.

Not that we want to be driving the first 4 hours south in heavy snow, but unless someone has the foresight to make a decision about school closing on Tuesday night, that is likely what will be happening. We don't want to get stuck home when it gets bad because our road almost NEVER gets plowed during storms and there are a couple more generally poor country roads before we get to something that even MIGHT get plowed. Right now, the snow is supposed to hit us right around 7am which means we could be somewhat in the clear until we get a little ways down the road. Granted, right now I'm looking at 4 different forecasts that have vastly different prospects for the area between our home and south of Richmond (where everyone seems to agree it will be pretty much a rain event).

So, with 2 plans, 4 costumes, and 3 hearts full of excitement (not to mention a pair of snow boots and a small shovel in case we get stuck somewhere) we will be heading out soon. See you then.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
So...yeah... rated R movies are 18 and up? Didn't they used to be 17 and up?? And the draft is 18, too. Man, really makes you feel old when you forget things that were so important to you 30 years ago. Ah, well - not changing the thread title now.

Nemo14

If it makes you feel better, we've had temps in the 80's for the past couple of days and it's supposed to continue all week. You'll soon forget all about that snow!

donaldtoo

Oh my!!!
How fun, and bringing back memories of our family (DWifey, myself, our 3 kiddos, and SonIL) trip for that same 5K race in Feb. of ‘16...!!!!! 😀

We all wore homemade tutus!!!!!!! :joyfull:
L-R: Sleeping Beauty, Tiana, Ariel, Belle, Snow White, and Cinderella...!!! :)

And, a better shot of me in my tutu...!!!!! :hilarious:

Sorry for hijacking your thread, but, the pics you posted brought back some great memories, and I couldn’t resist...!!! :cyclops:;):)

Anyway, safe travels, and hope y’all have an awesome trip...!!!!! 😀

SandiSmiles

Have they closed schools in your county for Wednesday? We're also in Maryland (Harford County) and our schools have already closed for tomorrow based on the forecast. Hoping you are able to get on the road before the storm. Looking forward to your trip report!

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Have they closed schools in your county for Wednesday? We're also in Maryland (Harford County) and our schools have already closed for tomorrow based on the forecast. Hoping you are able to get on the road before the storm. Looking forward to your trip report!

My district was one of the last to close. They made the call at about 7:45pm - we had teacher conferences tonight, so ALL the teachers were constantly checking for updates and lots of chatter about "look, Harford closed!" or "ooh, look, the City closed...they never close, we have to close!"

Nemo14

My district was one of the last to close. They made the call at about 7:45pm - we had teacher conferences tonight, so ALL the teachers were constantly checking for updates and lots of chatter about "look, Harford closed!" or "ooh, look, the City closed...they never close, we have to close!"
86 here today @brifaz!

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Departure moved up 24 hours from initial plan. School is closed tomorrow. As soon as our daughter gets back from her community choir rehearsal in about 15 minutes, we will be on the road. Going to try to get to the middle of North Carolina before any kind of wet stuff really hits. Planning for a nap in a rest area around 2am.

Positives - getting another full day at Disney!
Negatives - where the heck are we going to sleep on Wednesday night without spending an arm and a leg? (or sleeping in a bed in a roach motel)

@MeffysMom just booked some FP+ for tomorrow evening. :)

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
So, we left our house at 9:35pm and entered the House of Mouse at 1:30pm. Other than a little snow and sleet outside Richmond, the drive was pretty quick and uneventful.

Our first stop here was Old Key West to see if maybe we could add a night to the beginning of our stay. No dice. So we booked at a cheap off-site and will be heading there in a couple hours.

@MeffysMom was pretty proactive and booked us some Magic Kingdom FP+ last night when we left home. So, at 2pm we were on the monorail to MK.

Our first stop was Advetureland, but we were still a bit early for our FP+ so we visited the Tiki Room.

Followed by that first FP for Jungle Cruise where Skipper Brody gave us a great tour.

We then had a little time to kill before our next FP+ and we were a little too tired to wander, so this happened.

And, no, she didn't give me a bite. But after enjoying her Dole Whip (and waters all around) we rode Pirates. The mist effect was off and we still miss the mermaids. Otherwise, a pretty standard POTC ride. Now it was another 45 minutes before Haunted Mansion FP+. Thought about doing Its a Small World, but the wait was 25 (and quickly was up to 45), so we... rode the Carrousel. Our first time in years!

The wait was about 10 minutes so after that ride (and a quick pit stop at Rapunzel's) we were on Haunted Mansion.

Speaking of those wait times, the Magic Kingdom was packed today - not quite Christmas week levels, but pretty nuts.

After the ride through the mansion, we headed out on the ferry and drove over to Epcot.

We were pretty hungry so we stopped at the France Festival kiosk and I got the Salmon terrine and our daughter got the Brie bread bowl (very cute).

@MeffysMom got the spicy beef and hummus in Morocco and we relaxed and ate. Which bring us up to now. It's 7:45pm and we are in our favorite place to watch Illuminations for the next to last time.

This is my all-time favorite show so with our extra evening we decided to enjoy it.

I have a feeling that in a couple hours we will be sound asleep in our hotel, so good night!

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Wow looks like your daughter has grown up so much since your last race weekend (of course I shouldn’t be surprised, mine is probably a year or so younger than yours and she too has changed a lot in the past year or so 😀). Enjoy the rest of your trip 😃

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Coming at you live from the line to get in to the merchandise area of the Princess Half. Looks like about 45 minute wait (far better than last year's two hours) so here goes.

Last nights Illuminations was excellent as always and maybe a tear or two was shed. Here are a couple pics from @MeffysMom.

Soon as it was over, we headed to our one night motel, the Red Lion Inn. As expected it was convenient and cheap and that was about all we needed. Sleep came very quickly!

Up early, as always, we decided to hit Epcot EMH (check in day, so legit!) and ride Soarin' and that was all. We weren't the first people in (actually the last three in the first ride) but we were the first to leave!

And over to Studios for opening there. Apparently they opened up early as thing were already running at 8:50 which meant Slinky Dog already had a two hour wait (and one hour for Midway Mania) so we visited the aliens.

And then Star Tours before our second quick departure of the day!

Which brought us to the Expo at 10:15am. No lines for bib or shirt pickup, but now this one.

See you later!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom