Breast feeding in WDW

DrummerAlly

Original Poster
How was your experience breast feeding in WDW? Did anyone give you any problems?

I know that there are private rooms for feeding in the baby centers but I don't want to be constantly going to those. While I try to be discreet and find quiet places, I don't like the nursing covers. I am concerned because WDW attracts people from all over the country and world where people have varying (and vocal) opinions on public breast feeding.

While I don't really care what people think, I also don't want confrontations with employees or guests. Does anyone have any first hand experience here?

I should add that after searching on this topic most of the posts were about the craziest thing you've seen in WDW which just concerns me more!

Disneykidder

I have never breastfed in Disney, but I have been on several vacations where I have. Do you pump? I found that I was able to pump in the morning before going out for the day and a couple of bottles late at night and have those for the next day. I was not one for doing it in public. I also took a few frozen bags with me before I started the trip and labeled the day so I used those first. It all evened out.
Are you staying at a Disney resort? If you are, you could always take a mid afternoon break and feed your child in your room and pump another bottle for later on in the day.

I have heard of some people that would cover up and feed their child while watching a dark show, like Philharmagic. The baby stations are very clean and have separate rooms where you can go. There is one next to Crystal Palace in the MK and the one by World Showcase in Epcot is really nice, too. The nurses that work there are really nice.

Looking back, I don't know how I did it. It was hard, but it was a fun trip for the kiddies.

Good luck!!:)

Disneymom201

I just returned from my first visit as a breast feeding mother. Although this was our 8th visit, our other DS's never went as infants.
The mothers rooms are wonderful!!! Clean, quiet and relaxing. Like others, I took full advantage of using dark rides. I even watched The Carrousel of Progress for the first time. I do have & did use a cover up. I guess I'm a bit more discrete when it comes to nursing. I utilized it when I needed to nurse DS at the restaurants we were eating at.
I guess it just comes down to your personal preference in how you feel you like to handle nursing your baby. You don't really know how others are going to react. If you are nervous that someone will be negative toward you, perhaps don't give them reason to. There were some cute cover-ups that were Disney themed on Etsy. Maybe check them out.
Good luck & have a wonderful vacation!!!!

monkeysammich

My wife brings her Udder Cover (its a thing, I promise)... and we've never had a problem sitting on any bench and calming an infant down... she's even used it while in shows like Philharmagic or the Indiana Jones stunt show without any issue.

DrummerAlly

Original Poster
Thanks everyone - I hadn't thought of taking advantage of the shows! Around here (crazy liberal Massachusetts) I've never had any issues nursing in public without a cover, but maybe I'll just bring one to WDW to be on the safe side. I'm glad to hear the baby centers are so nice.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
My wife had little difficulty at WDW while our son was nursing. Dark rides, shows, benches, and the baby care centers provided ample places. I would advise some sort of cover (blanket, etc) if you just grab a bench somewhere.

Sharired

Great topic, something I've been wondering about myself! I've been to WDW many times, but December will be my first time taking a nursing infant. I'm a little nervous, but I think between the care centers and dark rides, we'll be just fine. Plus, it helps that DD is a super fast eater. She doesn't want to miss anything! ; )

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
My wife brings her Udder Cover (its a thing, I promise)... and we've never had a problem sitting on any bench and calming an infant down... she's even used it while in shows like Philharmagic or the Indiana Jones stunt show without any issue.
\udder covers are great. Like a little apron yet you can see the babe and babe can breathe.
Don't fret it will work out nicely. Ugly peeps are everywhere, if you encounter them, ignore the twerps.

wilkeliza

Just from a cast perspective we are legally not allowed to ask you to move. Florida law allows you to nurse where ever you please.

On a personal note I do appreciate when guests try to be considerate of others and cover themselves as much as possible when breast feeding. I have twice now had to answer questions for guests while they are walking through EPCOT breast feeding with no cover. It can be awkward for CMs depending on the level of "exposure" that they have to try to not be awkward with. I do know many guests also appreciate if you at least attempt to cover even if it is just a light blanket thrown over. It has nothing to do with the fact we don't want you to breast feed but all families, cultures, and religions have differences of opinions on what is modest and acceptable in public so trying to be considerate of others is always appreciated.

DrummerAlly

Original Poster
Thanks for all of the responses! Personally, I find it easy to nurse while exposing almost no skin and making it less than obvious what we are doing while the nursing covers make me feel like I'm saying "look over here at my funny apron and stare because you know I'm breast feeding!". All the same, it sounds like S.O.P is the nursing cover and I would rather have a vacation free of stress (for me and other guests).

Britt

I Breastfed my 8-9 month old and then again 2 year old at WDW. I never ever use a cover, however, am fairly discreet. Florida is way to ridiculously hot to cover a baby's head and I care less about other people's comfort then that on my infant/toddler.

However, I repeat, I am discreet. I wear 2 shirts. 1 is a cami under whatever else I'm wearing. I reach up under and tuck the cami and undergarment under, position my son, then lift that side of my shirt carefully and latch him on.

Absolutely no skin exposed and my son gets to nurse in comfort. I don't care if people know I'm nursing him or not, but I do understand people's level of discomfort with the female nipple...lol so I try and take that into consideration :)

Never ever had a strange look, always sweet smiles from other families. Never an issue with a cast member or anyone. I've never had an unpleasant experience while BFing in public, so it must work. LOL

Good luck to you mama!! Do whatever makes YOU and your child comfortable, however it makes you comfortable :)

PixieAngelo

We are TTC our first child so we are very observant of families with small kids to see what they are doing to make Disney Park trips easy and fun. I've seen more than a few nursing moms struggle with "Hooter Hiders" especially during really hot and muggy weather. Adding another layer of cloth can't be comfortable to mom or a fussy, hungry baby. I'm all for privacy and discretion but people staring or shooting dirty looks at a mother caring for her child because of their personal hang-ups isn't helping the situation.
Nursing stations aren't plentiful in the parks and while they are nicely equipped, it can be a real hike across the park to use one. Here are photos of the Baby Care Station in EPCOT :https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.286335104721589.67682.148418461846588&type=3
Traveling back to your resort several times a day isn't practical; 15 minutes at the bus stop, another 15-20 to get to the resort then another 10-15 minute walk to your room just to feed your baby...it sounds exhausting. Not to mention if you have a stroller to open and close and/or an older child in tow who refuses to leave the park without throwing a fit. Other air-conditioned/dark spots you might try are The People Mover (CMs might let you go around a second time if baby isn't done, especially if traffic is light), The Great Movie Ride, MuppetVision 3D, Spaceship Earth and Living With the Land. The new Enchanted Tales With Belle in the new Fantasyland area would be good too unless you have an older kid participating in the show because you'll want to take pictures!
The CM was right; it's against the law in Florida for anyone to prevent a woman from nursing their child. If you happen to do an accidental flash, don't worry about it! Good luck to everyone and keep it up!

DrummerAlly

Original Poster
I Breastfed my 8-9 month old and then again 2 year old at WDW. I never ever use a cover, however, am fairly discreet. Florida is way to ridiculously hot to cover a baby's head and I care less about other people's comfort then that on my infant/toddler.

However, I repeat, I am discreet. I wear 2 shirts. 1 is a cami under whatever else I'm wearing. I reach up under and tuck the cami and undergarment under, position my son, then lift that side of my shirt carefully and latch him on.

Absolutely no skin exposed and my son gets to nurse in comfort. I don't care if people know I'm nursing him or not, but I do understand people's level of discomfort with the female nipple...lol so I try and take that into consideration :)

Never ever had a strange look, always sweet smiles from other families. Never an issue with a cast member or anyone. I've never had an unpleasant experience while BFing in public, so it must work. LOL

Good luck to you mama!! Do whatever makes YOU and your child comfortable, however it makes you comfortable :)

Thank you for responding! I'm so glad you've had no trouble nursing without a cover, that makes me feel much better! I find the covers awkward, I hadn't even considered the heat - my daughter is a September baby, so I haven't had to deal with the heat yet!

Disneydreamer23

This is to remember I was sitting watching the day parade at MK a mother whipped her breast out and started feeding her child an 11 yr old boy was sitting next to her and asked his mothers what that was and kept staring at it his mother was very upset because Im assuming she didnt want her 11 yr old son to see a breast lol? the mother asked if she could cover up and the mother pretty much said its a free country. If that was me I would have covered up if I was asked because I could see both views. Just to keep in mind.

Britt

This is to remember I was sitting watching the day parade at MK a mother whipped her breast out and started feeding her child an 11 yr old boy was sitting next to her and asked his mothers what that was and kept staring at it his mother was very upset because Im assuming she didnt want her 11 yr old son to see a breast lol? the mother asked if she could cover up and the mother pretty much said its a free country. If that was me I would have covered up if I was asked because I could see both views. Just to keep in mind.
I would have probably said something to the child about this is how we feed our children. Our bodies nourish our young children, in the most healthy, natural ways possible. If the mom had such an issue with it, she really should have told her son it's rude to stare and moved them along, switched places with the kid.

Why should the mother make her own child uncomfortable, for the sake of another child, and an infant who doesn't understand at that. That child, REALLY should know what a breast is used for, and should know better then the be staring at someone. He probably saw more at the hotel pool anyway ;) MY boys are 7 and 6, know what a breast is used for and wouldn't stop to look twice at a mother nursing and would never be rude enough to stare at them for it.

Like I said, FL is way to hot and humid to be covering a young babys head while they're eating, unless you can find a good, comfortable controlled climate area, even at night.

Now, hopefully that BFing mother wasn't as rude as to just say "Its a free country" and if thats the case, she really could have handled herself better, but that mom and 11 year olds issue, doesn't become the issue of everyone else around them or that BFing mother/babys issue. :) I would have said "Im sorry it makes you guys uncomfortable, but it's really too hot to put a blanket over my sons head. However, I'll be glad to turn this way a bit, or switch places with you so you're in front of me" or something....offered some kind of resolution.

Britt

Thank you for responding! I'm so glad you've had no trouble nursing without a cover, that makes me feel much better! I find the covers awkward, I hadn't even considered the heat - my daughter is a September baby, so I haven't had to deal with the heat yet!
No problem at all!! Please PM me if you have any other questions/worries about it!!

My kiddo was born in early Aug in CO, but wasn't home until end of Oct and by that time it was cold! haha I brought my Moby wrap thinking "WOO HOO! This will be easy!" and then got there and that humidity is a whole new ball game. LOL You walk outside and are instantly sweating. LOL

wilkeliza

I would have probably said something to the child about this is how we feed our children. Our bodies nourish our young children, in the most healthy, natural ways possible. If the mom had such an issue with it, she really should have told her son it's rude to stare and moved them along, switched places with the kid.

Why should the mother make her own child uncomfortable, for the sake of another child, and an infant who doesn't understand at that. That child, REALLY should know what a breast is used for, and should know better then the be staring at someone. He probably saw more at the hotel pool anyway ;) MY boys are 7 and 6, know what a breast is used for and wouldn't stop to look twice at a mother nursing and would never be rude enough to stare at them for it.

Like I said, FL is way to hot and humid to be covering a young babys head while they're eating, unless you can find a good, comfortable controlled climate area, even at night.

Now, hopefully that BFing mother wasn't as rude as to just say "Its a free country" and if thats the case, she really could have handled herself better, but that mom and 11 year olds issue, doesn't become the issue of everyone else around them or that BFing mother/babys issue. :) I would have said "Im sorry it makes you guys uncomfortable, but it's really too hot to put a blanket over my sons head. However, I'll be glad to turn this way a bit, or switch places with you so you're in front of me" or something....offered some kind of resolution.

The way you described your method of breast feeding is more than enough coverage. You yourself did say you try to eliminate as much bare skin as possible by wearing a cami and another shirt. I was going to say outside of covers you could wear one of the modesty shirts that are specifically designed for breast feeding moms. My cousin uses them and I've never had any problems with how much skin is shown. Most of the times you can't even tell because once her daughter latches you don't see a thing.

The modesty issue I was talking about was women who just take the whole out of their shirt in public. I understand covering your babies head may be uncomfortable for them but covering your own with a burp cloth doesn't cause discomfort to baby and allows a little more modesty so no one has anything to "stare" at.

I'll never forget when I was in line to meet Mickey and a lady pulls her breast out in line for Mickey and the poor father was trying to just cover the moms exposed skin not the baby and she would have nothing to do with it. I will say in the shoulder to shoulder line in the middle of the theater was probably not the best descision to breast feed and that made it more awkward.

Another idea I have had many mothers use in EPCOT is the companion bathrooms. They are typically very clean and provide a private place to feed. I don't mean to say that you shouldn't be out in the open feeding your children I just know it is another option that some mothers who don't want to continue to treck back to baby care use. Also there are many places that have benches kind of off the beaten path so you are less likely to have a guest come up and say something rude to you.

EPCOT is pretty easy to be modest. Outside Norway and Mexico most of the other countries have very long movies that you can sit through and use as a way to nurse in a natural way to you and not disturb anyone. Also you'll have something to watch while baby takes their time.

I don't know the other parks as well as EPCOT but I would say Magic Kingdom has at least one good spot in each "land" but I am afraid Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom may not offer as easy as an experience. There are just less benches and dark rides there. For HS I would guess the Little Mermaid show would be a great opportunity and then for Animal Kingdom maybe Finding Nemo if you wanted somewhere inside and cool and long so you don't have to worry. Outside of that they other shows are either distracting or they just wouldn't provide a comfortable location.

DrummerAlly

Original Poster
I'm sure the vast majority of mothers, including myself, try their best to be discreet with how much skin they show and the locations in which they choose to breastfeed. I agree that in a densely packed queue is not the place to "whip it out" (though I hate that term) if you can avoid it, but I don't think I should have to be confined to the nursing rooms, my hotel room, or that I should feel obligated to use a nursing cover.

I feel so much better about this trip now knowing that so many moms have had good luck nursing during shows, dark rides, and benches and with or without the nursing covers.

I think public breastfeeding is becoming more and more socially acceptable. Hopefully eventually 11 year olds won't have to stare and ask "whats that for" if they happen to see someone nursing (or at least the parent will have a reasonable answer).

DrummerAlly

Original Poster
EPCOT is pretty easy to be modest. Outside Norway and Mexico most of the other countries have very long movies that you can sit through and use as a way to nurse in a natural way to you and not disturb anyone. Also you'll have something to watch while baby takes their time.

Excellent idea! I have a baby who likes to take her time - the Norway and France movies will be perfect.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom