Sony & MARVEL are friends again; Spider-Man is back in the MCU

Rodan75

The deal was 5% Disney, 95% Sony. Disney started this kerfuffle by requesting a 50/50 deal.

Here's a chart of all the Spider-Man movies and their total gross:

FILMTOTAL PROFITS (in millions)SONY'S PROFITS (in millions)
Spider-Man$821.7$821.7
Spider-Man 2$783.8$783.8
Spider-Man 3$890.9$890.9
The Amazing Spider-Man$757.9$757.9
The Amazing Spider-Man 2$709.0$709.0
Spider-Man: Homecoming$880.2$836.19
Spider-Man: Far from Home$1,109.9$1,054.41
Theoretical Third MCU Spider Man$1,109.9$554.95

As much as I hate Sony's decision, I do see the logic in it. Disney is being absurdly greedy. Had they accepted the 50/50 deal, Sony would be making less money than any other film... despite it breaking records. A shame these two mega-corporations can't put aside their desire for cash and put out art, like Walt... :(

Um. That is not how movie profits work.

Rodan75

So it looks like this exclusive today was a distraction leak. Sony is already walking this back via ‘sources’ to various news outlets.

I see some agreement happening. Parent Sony is more interested in Video Game and TV profits. And I’m sure they would rather do more business with Disney / Marvel than risk repeating Amazing Spider-man era mistakes.

Darkprime

I only just realized its D23 week. I hope we get an announcement there. Also Sony stock has fallen a bit since the news dropped.

Wendy Pleakley

What was the financing structure for Homecoming and Far From Home?

The early reports I’ve seen indicate Marvel 5%, Sony 95% on first dollar grosses. Sony 100% should balk at giving up 50% of their most profitable franchise.

My understanding is Marvel gave up their 5% share when they made this deal, unless Spidey movies cross a certain threshold.

This imbalance goes both ways in either case. Disney wants more of the Spider-Man pie, but are they going to give Sony a share of any Avengers movies featuring Spider-Man, which would seem only fair...

Tony Perkis

My understanding is Marvel gave up their 5% share when they made this deal, unless Spidey movies cross a certain threshold.

This imbalance goes both ways in either case. Disney wants more of the Spider-Man pie, but are they going to give Sony a share of any Avengers movies featuring Spider-Man, which would seem only fair...
I don’t agree with this, because fairness is not a good metric. It changes person to person.

Disney gets 100% of the merchandising revenue from Spider-Man, which is far and away the most lucrative character for Marvel. Sony owns the film rights. Them surrendering 50% of their own claim for something they have the sole exclusive rights of makes no logical sense at all.

As others have said, this news leak is clearly a negotiating tactic. I assume it will close closer to 80/20 or 75/25 Sony.

Last edited:

doctornick

I think people are misunderstanding/exaggerating the alleged terms a bit. From what I gather, Disney was asking for a 50/50 participation spit - that means Disney and Sony would split the production costs for the movie each paying half. So, for example, using Far From Home - Disney and Sony would each have paid $80M of the reported $160M budget. Furthering the example, Far from Home took in $1.1B in the box office - for simplicity, say that about half of that goes to the studio while the other half goes to the movie theaters, etc. So, of the $550M going to the film producer, $225M would go to Disney and $225M to Sony.

IOW, Disney would have to put in money but have much higher upside. Sony would invest less, but have less upside. But would keep Spider-Man in the MCU. Disney would continue to get all the merchandising money.

My guess is this is just a negotiating tactic. Disney started with a high demand, assuming they'd negotiate something less. Sony is trying to keep the status quo. The media leak today is just part of negotiation. I'd guess it is Disney that leaked it, knowing there would be a negative outcry about Spider-Man no longer being in the MCU. Sony has stated that negotiations are ongoing, so it at least brought them back to the table if they weren't already. I bet it gets settled eventually for something like a 25-30% participation for Disney.

I also wonder what also things Disney is asking for: I am assuming one thing is they want the steaming rights for all the Spider Man movies to go to Disney+

CJR

Relax. This is all negotiating and posturing on both sides. I don’t think for a second that this is going to actually happen. Sony does not have a great track record with making great Spider-Man films (except the original two) and Marvel isn’t going to want to give up arguably the biggest character in the MCU.

This. Disney's playing hardball, but they'll do what's best for business here. The current agreement is a win-win, they would have to answer as to why they let a win-win deal go.

rioriz

This is smoke and mirrors...those I've heard from in the industry say this a plotted leak by either company. Garnishing outrage by the fandom in order to tip the hand of Disney. With the Spidy ride coming to DCA and Feige having big dreams for the character, Disney will give in...I'd say they end up with 12 percent and giving Sony some merchandise money

I'd expect a deal to be done by D23 movie panel

erasure fan1

I have loved mcu spider-man so far. But part of me would have loved for Disney to just let Sony continue to flub spidey up. There is no doubt in my mind that an amazing spider-man 3 would have tanked as well as if they tried another reboot. So I really believe that either the rights would default back to marvel because they aren't going to continue trying. Or more likely they would have come to Disney with an offer to sell while the mcu is so hot. Really I think Sony is behind the 8 ball here. Non MCU spidey is pretty much worthless right now. What sony should do is sell the movie rights back and keep the gaming and TV rights.

Darkprime

I have loved mcu spider-man so far. But part of me would have loved for Disney to just let Sony continue to flub spidey up. There is no doubt in my mind that an amazing spider-man 3 would have tanked as well as if they tried another reboot. So I really believe that either the rights would default back to marvel because they aren't going to continue trying. Or more likely they would have come to Disney with an offer to sell while the mcu is so hot. Really I think Sony is behind the 8 ball here. Non MCU spidey is pretty much worthless right now. What sony should do is sell the movie rights back and keep the gaming and TV rights.

Yep I bet Feige regrets jumping into help now when they did. Had they let them continue on their previous path with the amazing spider-man movies I reckon the rights could have either returned through some production issue or just been bought out by Disney as the value of the franchise would have dropped and been no longer valuable to Sony.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom