Sony & MARVEL are friends again; Spider-Man is back in the MCU

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Original Poster

Marvel Studios will not produce any future Spider-Man films due to a standoff between The Walt Disney Company and Sony Pictures.

According to Deadline, the decision stems from "an inability by Disney and Sony Pictures to reach new terms that would have given the former a co-financing stake going forward." As for the next two currently planned Spider-Man films, both Homecoming and Far From Home director Jon Watts, as well as actor Tom Holland, are expected to return. However, Marvel's involvement in the project is doubtful, as Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige has been "essentially nixed" by Sony.

The outlet also reports that Disney asked for all future Spider-Man projects to be a 50/50 co-financing arrangement between Marvel and Sony but the latter declined. This comes hot on the heels of Spider-Man: Far From Home cementing itself as Sony's highest-grossing film of all time, albeit with Marvel's help.

Wendy Pleakley

Why would Disney turn around and expect Sony to share 50% of Spider-Man film grosses with them?

This always struck me as a win-win deal. Sony gets the bonus of being a part of the MCU, and Disney/Marvel gets to include their best known character in movies like Avengers.

Who wins by walking away from this arrangement?

The Pho

Why would Disney turn around and expect Sony to share 50% of Spider-Man film grosses with them?

This always struck me as a win-win deal. Sony gets the bonus of being a part of the MCU, and Disney/Marvel gets to include their best known character in movies like Avengers.

Who wins by walking away from this arrangement?
Sony thinks it can make more than 50% on its own, so they’d see that as a loss.

Wendy Pleakley

Sony thinks it can make more than 50% on its own, so they’d see that as a loss.

True, and I should clarify there's little reason for Sony not to walk away from such new demands from Disney.

Yeah, being a part of the MCU has benefited them, but their own Spider-Man movies did fine on their own.

Princess Leia

B47C41E9-244B-4251-82EB-15414AC34DD7.gif

(Someone had to)

Fox&Hound

Sony would be moronic to walk away from this partnership. They have already proven, time and time again, that they cannot produce a worthwhile spiderman film (except for the first one). They should learn from their title character, "with great power comes great responsibility"- do the right thing Sony, stop being greedy, and realize you need the help. I don't wan't another reboot and can't stand to watch Uncle Ben die for the 100th time. The last two spiderman movies have been excellent because of Marvel, not in spite of it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom