Breaking News - UNITE HERE and ally's file lawuit today regarding Mesasure L/Living Wage Initiative

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
PS BTW, as of a 2018 Supreme Court ruling ("Janus decision"), those of us in the public sector are no longer forced to give union dues. Not sure where that issue currently sits in the private sector.

No such protections. A employee that has a Union Job can opt out of paying a small declared political amount for no individual union benefits, such as some health care that is not provided by the employer.

Unions fight to have projects declared to be Union by default, even before one employee is hired. This is common, don't have time to get into that, but it is happening with the Hotels in the area.

Some hotel owners don't want to be union, and pay and treat their employees very well, and those employees appreciate not having to pay union dues, and can donate to the political causes they support.

Last edited:

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
OK, some of you are going to state the link is in the wrong thread, well, it isn't.

Some of you asked why this lawsuit was field this week, and here is the reason why.

>>For Councilman Jose F. Moreno and his cadre, the Angels negotiations are all about politics. Moreno wants to take control of the City Council in the 2020 election and has put together a slate of candidates. He wants to run against “taxpayer giveaways” and “corporate subsidies” and was counting in the Angels deal include both. Instead, Sidhu brings back an agreement that brings in huge new revenues, more affordable, housing, parks and jobs . They land is being sold at fair market value. And if the Angels want a new stadium, they – and not Anaheim taxpayers – will have to pay for it.

These are all things Councilman Moreno has said, over and over, that he wants. And now he’s got them – except he not only had nothing to do with it, but the credit will redound to the council majority he seeks to oust. No wonder this agreement is giving Councilman Moreno a political ulcer. No wonder he, along with his political allies, are trying to mislead the public with false numbers about the “actual” price of the stadium site.

Expect more misinformation, half-truths and lies from opponents of the agreement the vote in it draws nearer.<<

So UNITE HERE's main focus in Anaheim has been to take over control of the city council. They have been working on recall campaigns for the November 2020 election (And that was decided in late 2018), and posturing to call out the Mayor and Council for the failures and selling out to the big power players in the city (Disney, Angels, Ducks, and the Chamber). Well, their main issue is now off the table, so they need something else, and this lawsuit is it. They know the lawsuit is a loser, but they feel since they claimed Disney was going to be covered due to Measure L. So, while Disney is clearly not subject to the living wage, the Union is going to fight for them. And while many now know that the UNITE HERE Leadership are liars, this lawsuit will help deflect the issue, and by filing now, they are pretty sure it won't be heard until after the November, 2020 election.

And that is the reason the lawsuit was filed at this specific time, even though the lawsuit was prepared months ago.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
And now Unite is behind the effort to get the Democratic candidates to "honor the picket line" and skip next weeks debate.
Well UNITE HERE 11 is striking against one of Loyola Maramount's Vendors, Sodexo, which is one of the companies in the Measure L lawsuit.

And if the contract is settled by then, then no debate. Which was originally supposed to be at UCLA , but moved due to a Labor Dispute.

Anyways, UNITE HERE walked away from the table last week, which is rumored to being an almost done deal. Sounds very similar to what happened with the NAMM strike.

Who cares about giving the employees a raise when you can get media attention and shut down a National Democratic Debate.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
Well, at the last minute (If a deal was not announced this morning, the debate would have been cancelled), UNITE HERE returned to the table and said, we will sign the last generous offer (20% raise and a reduction in out of pocket health care costs) to allow the debate to happen.

A press conference is scheduled for later today to announce the deal.

Well, UNITE HERE milked it for all its worth.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster

>>Readers of George Orwell’s dystopian classic 1984 are familiar with the concept of doublethink:

“The power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one’s mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them… To tell deliberate lies while genuinely believing in them, to forget any fact that has become inconvenient, and then, when it becomes necessary again, to draw it back from oblivion for just as long as it is needed…”

The leadership of the Coalition of Resort Labor Unions (CRLU) has contracted a serious case of doublethink.

Last month, the CRLU sued both the Disneyland Resort and one of its lessees for allegedly violating the terms of Measure L – a dubious claim which Disneyland vigorously disputes. The CRLU claims Disneyland is not paying the Measure L-mandated minimum wage of $15 per hour – which notched up to $16 an hour on January 1, 2020.

Measure L was approved by Anaheim voters in November 2018. It mandates that any hospitality business that received a city tax rebate or subsidy (and their affiliated businesses, tenants and “adjacent” businesses) must pay a $15 minimum hourly wage starting January 1, 2019, escalating a dollar annually until reaching $18 an hour by January 2022.

Disney withdrew from its tax rebate agreements with Anaheim several weeks prior to passage of Measure L, thereby removing itself from the measure’s mandates.

Resort Union Doublethink In Action
That didn’t stop UNITE-HERE Local 11 and the rest for CRLU from misleading voters that Measure L applied to the Disneyland – nor from now claiming Disney isn’t abiding by a law that doesn’t apply to it.

“Measure L should be enforced by the City of Anaheim,” said plaintiff Kathy Grace, who works at a Starbucks inside Disneyland, speaking at the December 9, 2019 press conference announcing the lawsuit. “It’s been 13 months, and they have done nothing.”

“Given Disney’s refusal to pay its workers the legally-required wage of $15 an hour, my clients had no choice but to file this class-action lawsuit,” said Randy Renick, the attorney representing the CRLU members behind the lawsuit. Renick is a partner in Hadsell, Stormer, Renick, Dai, which is provides legal services for Local 11.

That’s weird – because a few months earlier, a Disney cast member who is a part of UNITE-HERE Local 11 leadership told the Anaheim City Council that her pay had increased due to Measure L.

Glyndanna Shevlin is a UNITE-HERE Local 11 shop steward and member of its executive board. She was the public face of the pro-Measure L campaign. At the March 19, 2019 council meeting, she gushed about how Measure L had improved her life as a Disney cast member:

“Measure L was a very big thing for me. It made me have a living wage and I now have a home. The last three years prior – I was homeless. But now I have a good living wage.”

Of course, Shevlin is being disingenuous, since Measure L does not apply to the Disneyland Resort.

But the point is you have Resort union leadership making contradictory claims about whether Measure L’s applies to Disneyland.

On one hand, you have UNITE-HERE Local 11 leaders, members and their attorney claiming Disneyland is failing to pay cast members $15 an hour as mandate by Measure L.

On the other hand, you have a Local 11 leader, spokesperson for Measure L and Disneyland cast member claiming that she got an increase to a “living wage” and has a home because of Measure L.

So which is it? UNITE-HERE and the CRLU can’t have it both ways. They can’t have a Measure L spokesperson and Disneyland employee says Measure L raised her pay, and then turn around and sue saying Disneyland isn’t raising cast members by according to Measure L.

The common thread running through this outbreak of doublethink is the CRLU is lying out of both sides of its figurative mouth, because Disneyland isn’t subject to Measure L under the plain language of the initiative. This isn’t surprising, as dishonesty is inherent in the Resort unions approach to people and politics.<<

Darkbeer1

Original Poster

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
OK folks, the wonderful and lovely wife is now in bed, so I have some free time, and nothing on the schedule for tomorrow besides errands and spending quality time with my Valentine.

Today was very surreal, and one that maybe only Tim O'Day would predict. I was very fortunate to have him as a unusual fan. He knew I wouldn't mail it in, I came up with angles that even his staff wouldn't have thought.

And one Al Lutz would have written as an April 1st article.

So I get the Voice of OC article in my morning stack of stuff, and my stack is getting big again.

So today was the Anaheim Business Awards at the Hilton Anaheim. This is one of those big attendance events, over 40 tables of 10 folks.

I was invited to attend and sit at the DLR table, along with the TDA Government Relations CM's plus the S.O.A.R. Executive Director, Jill.

Now, I knew this in advance, and said in another thread that something was up.

And I should have realized it, but didn't think about it. If anyone has watched the recent award shows, where potential award winners sit at these tables. Well, my table is where the A+ celebs sit, I mean front and center, with only the City Councilmembers table in front of us.

And wow, I was treated like I was one of those, where a lot of folks came up to discuss things.

Yes, I help control a bank account that is currently 7 digits, with a recent Disney check. (That is required disclosure info).

So I know why some politicians want to say hi.

But it was more than that, the first person I saw when I came in was the Mayor, who said Hi, and then asked me if I could help him out. Cryptic, but not unusual. I have known him for years, and have worked on some volunteer projects, and attended many meetings.

So the Chamber president comes up, says hello to the rest of the table, but I get singled out. I am at the top of the list to work on a new Mayor's Task Force dealing with West Anaheim. Basically a request you can't refuse.

And this singling out continues, quick Hi's to the DLR CM's that provide the money, a quick Hi to Jill, the S.O.A.R. boss, but then straight to me. Two councilmembers didn't attend, our favorite Dr. and my problem child, Denise. At least she just switched from Republican to NPP, as did her staffer Cynthia Ward.

One spent quite a few minutes with me after the event, Trevor, which I appreciate, as we discussed the insane RINA numbers (17,000 new housing units in Anaheim in the next 10 years).

Jill and I spent some time talking about our favorite Union 11.

And then I had two CM's asking me about Denise and how it is in trying to deal with her. Not something I would have brought up, but well, West Anaheim is front and center for multiple reasons, and I am now a very big dog in that arena. Lisa and I laughed at that over dinner. Just how did I become a major power player.

So, getting back to the article, I asked the table if they had seen it, none of them did, so I got to sit and watch them read it on their phones, and watch their expressions. Amazing, Jill was fun. But one of the CM's left the table for a few minutes, I presume to alert others.

This type of thing is expected from the Voice of OC, but the article had so many other things in it, and felt like it was written by UNITE HERE, then slightly adjusted to try and make it more balanced.

I wish I could share what was said, but that is a no-no.

I just want to know (as does my wife), how a kid that was lucky enough to have frequent visit to DL, starting as a kid, to reporting on the place, one that caused some very senior CM's to not be fans of my work, to now one that is looked up to, not just from the DLR decision makers regarding political spending, but now by the politicians.

I can say, I take it seriously, and but let alone hard effort to it, but with my heart and soul.

And it is those early years that created what I have become.

And in reality, both Lisa and I aren't sure what I have become, as even thinking about it is strange.

I really wish I could talk to Al, and see what he would have written about the current me versus 20 years ago.

There would be some zingers, and I would be the subject of the jokes.

But I know he would be proud, because all we wanted from the CM's we reported on was that they cared. Those CM's got positive comments, even if a few things didn't work out.

Last edited:

truecoat

OK folks, the wonderful and lovely wife is now in bed, so I have some free time, and nothing on the schedule for tomorrow besides errands and spending quality time with my Valentine.

Today was very surreal, and one that maybe only Tim O'Day would predict. I was very fortunate to have him as a unusual fan. He knew I wouldn't mail it in, I came up with angles that even his staff wouldn't have thought.

And one Al Lutz would have written as an April 1st article.

So I get the Voice of OC article in my morning stack of stuff, and my stack is getting big again.

So today was the Anaheim Business Awards at the Hilton Anaheim. This is one of those big attendance events, over 40 tables of 10 folks.

I was invited to attend and sit at the DLR table, along with the TDA Government Relations CM's plus the S.O.A.R. Executive Director, Jill.

Now, I knew this in advance, and said in another thread that something was up.

And I should have realized it, but didn't think about it. If anyone has watched the recent award shows, where potential award winners sit at these tables. Well, my table is where the A+ celebs sit, I mean front and center, with only the City Councilmembers table in front of us.

And wow, I was treated like I was one of those, where a lot of folks came up to discuss things.

Yes, I help control a bank account that is currently 7 digits, with a recent Disney check. (That is required disclosure info).

So I know why some politicians want to say hi.

But it was more than that, the first person I saw when I came in was the Mayor, who said Hi, and then asked me if I could help him out. Cryptic, but not unusual. I have known him for years, and have worked on some volunteer projects, and attended many meetings.

So the Chamber president comes up, says hello to the rest of the table, but I get singled out. I am at the top of the list to work on a new Mayor's Task Force dealing with West Anaheim. Basically a request you can't refuse.

And this singling out continues, quick Hi's to the DLR CM's that provide the money, a quick Hi to Jill, the S.O.A.R. boss, but then straight to me. Two councilmembers didn't attend, our favorite Dr. and my problem child, Denise. At least she just switched from Republican to NPP, as did her staffer Cynthia Ward.

One spent quite a few minutes with me after the event, Trevor, which I appreciate, as we discussed the insane RINA numbers (17,000 new housing units in Anaheim in the next 10 years).

Jill and I spent some time talking about our favorite Union 11.

And then I had two CM's asking me about Denise and how it is in trying to deal with her. Not something I would have brought up, but well, West Anaheim is front and center for multiple reasons, and I am now a very big dog in that arena. Lisa and I laughed at that over dinner. Just how did I become a major power player.

So, getting back to the article, I asked the table if they had seen it, none of them did, so I got to sit and watch them read it on their phones, and watch their expressions. Amazing, Jill was fun. But one of the CM's left the table for a few minutes, I presume to alert others.

This type of thing is expected from the Voice of OC, but the article had so many other things in it, and felt like it was written by UNITE HERE, then slightly adjusted to try and make it more balanced.

I wish I could share what was said, but that is a no-no.

I just want to know (as does my wife), how a kid that was lucky enough to have frequent visit to DL, starting as a kid, to reporting on the place, one that caused some very senior CM's to not be fans of my work, to now one that is looked up to, not just from the DLR decision makers regarding political spending, but now by the politicians.

I can say, I take it seriously, and but let alone hard effort to it, but with my heart and soul.

And it is those early years that created what I have become.

And in reality, both Lisa and I aren't sure what I have become, as even thinking about it is strange.

I really wish I could talk to Al, and see what he would have written about the current me versus 20 years ago.

There would be some zingers, and I would be the subject of the jokes.

But I know he would be proud, because all we wanted from the CM's we reported on was that they cared. Those CM's got positive comments, even if a few things didn't work out.

Although you and I may not agree on everything politically (who does?), Anaheim is lucky to have you because you seem to be an honest guy who's looking out for the people of the city instead of a political agenda. I think that shows through and why you are in the position you are now.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
Although you and I may not agree on everything politically (who does?), Anaheim is lucky to have you because you seem to be an honest guy who's looking out for the people of the city instead of a political agenda. I think that shows through and why you are in the position you are now.

Thank you. So this evening, Lisa and I headed to Knott's, and then Amber Waves for an awesome dinner, even if the kitchen was backed up due to how busy it was, I had two large lobster tails, and my Wife had Steak and Scampi, along with an appetizer, and dessert, along with an adult beverage for $50 (both meals).

But around 6PM, while in the park, I had a Councilmember call me to discuss, well, a current issue in the city. Lisa took it well, but well, the call had to be answered.

I think I got Jill from S.O.A.R. to fund an amazing local hands on charity that just got its non-profit paperwork finished. And Disney to chip in also.

I don't think I have a personal agenda, but I do believe in how the city is funded, and how to wisely spend those funds.

For example, a lot of funds have been spent on the Homeless and other programs helping those who don't pay much in taxes.

We need to take some of the city funds, and address the residents who pay a decent amount, or more, concerns. Such as investing in street improvement, code enforcement and city services that benefit all residents, instead of select groups. Some would say the silent majority.

Yes, still deal with the Homeless and trying to address the housing crisis. But if you don't address those who pay a significant amount in taxes, they will leave the city, and take their tax dollars with them. And that helps noone!

Hope everyone has a great holiday weekend.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
Let me add, I had to be approved by the DLR to get my position. A few of them know my past and how I treated the DLR over the last 20 years, the good and the bad.

I had some real good references from some very senior retired CM's, and some that brought up the troubles I caused at TDA.

But what sold me was the passion. What I said was true, and meant to make the place better.

Sometimes you need to hear frank criticism. So they knew what they were getting. Plus the fact I was already trying to make Anaheim a better place to live.

Thursday night caused some inner reflection, and yes, addressing those scary thoughts like How in the Heck did I get here, and who was dumb enough to give me the keys to the Maserati....

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
And here is what UNITE HERE is up to...

Darkbeer1

Original Poster

TP2000

I am shocked, SHOCKED!, to learn there is alleged misconduct, nepotism, and financial shenanigans at the expense of dues paying members going on within the leadership of any union! But at Unite Here Local 11? Well, I'm shocked!

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
I am shocked, SHOCKED!, to learn there is alleged misconduct, nepotism, and financial shenanigans at the expense of dues paying members going on within the leadership of any union! But at Unite Here Local 11? Well, I'm shocked!

Are you talking about this paragraph?

>>We wonder how Local 11’s members — who are still being asked to pay union dues despite over 90 percent of them being unemployed — would feel knowing their dues continue to fund the salary of their union leader’s husband. Despite the coronavirus shut down, Local 11 hasn’t announced any pay cuts for its leaders — or their significant others on the payroll. The union has even had the gall to discourage hotel visitors from coming to Los Angeles, despite the fact that these tourists pay their members’ wages. <<

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom