BREAKING NEWS RE Columbia Harbor House

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
That is certainly not true, as a good deal of the fountain drinks are dispensed into refillable mugs which only have Disney branding on them.
Goes to show how little you actually know.
Look on the bottom of the refillable drink mugs.
The company branded on them that makes them is Whirley Drink Works.
Google them and you'll find they are partnered with guess who??? COKE.

Tom P.

Goes to show how little you actually know.
Look on the bottom of the refillable drink mugs.
The company is Whirley Drink Works.
Google them and you'll find they are partnered with guess who??? COKE.
Please tell me you're kidding.

The fact that the mugs are made by a company that "partners with" Coke does not make them Coke branded. Having, y'know, the Coke brand on them would make them Coke branded.

markc

Coke provides the syrup for free but it must be served in a coke branded cup/container and coke does charge Disney for the cups.

Cups? Um no. Disney procures those separately from Coke....and they pay for them.
Even if your numbers are correct, it would make absolutely no sense for 5-7% of the company's daily production capacity to simply be given away for free. None what-so-ever. I have no inside knowledge of the situation, but that would be a monumentally stupid business decision.

It's far from stupid - but it shows that perhaps you don't understand the soft-drink industry. Coke's exposure at the parks are for marketing purposes. Pepsi can't give the stuff away from free - but Coke can. If you can get people hooked or further solidify their soft drink habits on a few days of their vacation at a theme park by ensuring that theme park only has their products at their disposal, it more than pays for itself when those same individuals are purchasing coke products at full price for the other 360 days of the year. Keep your competitors away and get your customers hooked on your product.

Cokes ability to supply for free (or near free) is the same reason why all Busch parks now sell Coke rather than Pepsi (from years ago) as well as Cedar Fair Parks (who also used to serve Pepsi up until a few years ago). At this point, all major theme park operators exclusively serve Coke. Coke has proven they can take a loss by supply to the theme parks in order to gain in the long term.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Please tell me you're kidding.

The fact that the mugs are made by a company that "partners with" Coke does not make them Coke branded. Having, y'know, the Coke brand on them would make them Coke branded.

Whirley and Coke developed the RFID chip cups together therefore its partly Coke product.

Tom P.

Whirley and Coke developed the RFID chip cups together therefore its partly Coke product.
That may very well be true. But it is not a "Coke branded" product. The only point of the arrangement you describe -- where Coke provides the syrup for free on the condition that it can only be served in a Coke branded cup -- would be the marketing value of the cups. There is no marketing value to Coke in the refillable Disney mugs. There is nothing Coke-identifiable on a Disney mug. Nothing that will make the consumer think about Coke. It would not achieve the goal.

Hcalvert

Cups? Um no. Disney procures those separately from Coke....and they pay for them.

It's far from stupid - but it shows that perhaps you don't understand the soft-drink industry. Coke's exposure at the parks are for marketing purposes. Pepsi can't give the stuff away from free - but Coke can. If you can get people hooked or further solidify their soft drink habits on a few days of their vacation at a theme park by ensuring that theme park only has their products at their disposal, it more than pays for itself when those same individuals are purchasing coke products at full price for the other 360 days of the year. Keep your competitors away and get your customers hooked on your product.

Cokes ability to supply for free (or near free) is the same reason why all Busch parks now sell Coke rather than Pepsi (from years ago) as well as Cedar Fair Parks (who also used to serve Pepsi up until a few years ago). At this point, all major theme park operators exclusively serve Coke. Coke has proven they can take a loss by supply to the theme parks in order to gain in the long term.
Well, it is failing miserably with my family. I leave not ever wanting to drink Coke again. The only Coke product I like is Coke Cherry Zero, which WDW doesn't even offer. When my dad visits WDW, he has cases of Pepsi or Dr. Pepper delivered to the resort as he is not a Coke drinker either. The bell services always have a laugh with him when he goes and picks up his vats of Pepsi. I just wish they would provide more sugar free options that are not soda like other flavored iced tea and lemonades (other than just the ones they already have).

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
I just wish they would provide more sugar free options that are not soda like other flavored iced tea and lemonades (other than just the ones they already have).
Yes! That's why I love the free-style beverage stations. They have more iced tea and lemonade flavors. I wish there were more of those available at WDW.

EricsBiscuit

Original Poster
How many drinks do you have with your meal? Were you purchasing a small drink and constantly refilling it? Buy one large drink and drink it and leave it at that. Too many carbonated beverages are not good for your health. Disney just wants you healthy enough to come back and spend more money.
Nope. Regular $4+ coke that they sell. My health is just fine I am as skinny as can be thanks.

Smiley/OCD

That's not entirely true...Pepsi is (and has been for the last 17 seasons), the official soft drink of the NFL, so it's served in all the stadiums. Pepsi is also the official soft drink of the NY Yankees. I'm a HUGE Pepsi fan myself (HATE Coke)...I bring a 2L bottle of Diet Pepsi with me into the parks every day.

Smiley/OCD

I'd love to see how you manage this. 🤣
Very simple...it goes in the basket of my ECV, and it stays with me...When I need it, I just go to a QS and get ice. If I didn't use an ECV, it would remain in my backpack. It's really not a problem...I'm from NJ too (just not as sarcastic)...we always think 2 steps ahead...LOL

Mickey5150

I would guess Disney has to pay something for Coke. I can't imagine it would be legal for a company to procure exclusive rights inside WDW by giving their drinks away. Anytime a company lowers their prices below cost to squeeze out a competitor the government is all over that.

Tom P.

Very simple...it goes in the basket of my ECV, and it stays with me...When I need it, I just go to a QS and get ice. If I didn't use an ECV, it would remain in my backpack. It's really not a problem...I'm from NJ too (just not as sarcastic)...we always think 2 steps ahead...LOL
What happens when you are parking the ECV for a ride? I am way too paranoid to leave a bottle I've opened unattended and then still drink from it.

Smiley/OCD

What happens when you are parking the ECV for a ride? I am way too paranoid to leave a bottle I've opened unattended and then still drink from it.
It remains safe...I keep it covered with a shirt if outside by the stroller parking or inside if I can park in the queue. I never had a problem...and if I'm going to "check out", I can't think of a better place! LOL

markc

That's not entirely true...Pepsi is (and has been for the last 17 seasons), the official soft drink of the NFL, so it's served in all the stadiums. Pepsi is also the official soft drink of the NY Yankees. I'm a HUGE Pepsi fan myself (HATE Coke)...I bring a 2L bottle of Diet Pepsi with me into the parks every day.

Valid point - however Stadium's and sporting events have an entirely different set up in beverage contracts - in fact, significantly different than theme parks.

Jon81uk

I would guess Disney has to pay something for Coke. I can't imagine it would be legal for a company to procure exclusive rights inside WDW by giving their drinks away. Anytime a company lowers their prices below cost to squeeze out a competitor the government is all over that.

I think Disney do pay for the product, but they also get a significant amount of sponsorship back from Coca-Cola which evens the costs out. Therefore as there is still a transaction to buy the cola, the government doesn't look so closely as the sponsorship is treated separately. So the outgoing food and beverage costs are separated from the sponsorship income.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom