BREAKING NEWS RE Columbia Harbor House

Goofyernmost

Some places do and some places don't. Life is like that. One thing I object to is the implication that Coke "gives" Disney the syrup. Coke no longer needs loss leaders and would be one stupid business if they gave away their product in the massive amounts that Disney consumes them. Discounted, sure! Free no. They would have to have a manufacturing plant to provide just what Disney uses. Usually by the time anyone is old enough to be the bill payer at Disney they have already made their choices in Cola's. Like most of us, they will take what is available. As for winning over kids, they do not have a highly developed pallet required to be swayed. If it is cola it is fine with them. Besides the fountain Coke doesn't really taste the same as bottled Coke. They do other things like provide banners, displays, etc. but, how long would they stay in business if they gave their product to their biggest customer.

TrainsOfDisney

Some places do and some places don't. Life is like that. One thing I object to is the implication that Coke "gives" Disney the syrup. Coke no longer needs loss leaders and would be one stupid business if they gave away their product in the massive amounts that Disney consumes them. Discounted, sure! Free no. They would have to have a manufacturing plant to provide just what Disney uses. Usually by the time anyone is old enough to be the bill payer at Disney they have already made their choices in Cola's. Like most of us, they will take what is available. As for winning over kids, they do not have a highly developed pallet required to be swayed. If it is cola it is fine with them. Besides the fountain Coke doesn't really taste the same as bottled Coke. They do other things like provide banners, displays, etc. but, how long would they stay in business if they gave their product to their biggest customer.

Coke is an official sponsor of Disney World though. That doesn’t mean that Disney does or doesn’t get free syrup, but there is a deal that’s for sure. It’s certainly possible that Disney gets the syrup for free or “at cost” in exchange for Disney purchasing bottled drinks at the regular rate.

I worked for a small tourist attraction and we got free coke machines, refrigerators, and servicing of machines in our sponsorship deal. I’m sure Disney has a better deal than we did.

Oddysey

Could this be the beginnings of cost cuttings due to the recent Shanghai closings or just typical cost cutting? If said news is true, it will be interesting to see if we see if there are more cuts and in what form they come. While I dislike any devaluation of the consumer experience, I would prefer a cut like this versus cast members getting hours cut or being laid off.

Last edited:

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
I used to work food & beverage. Not at that location, but I floated around a few.

It has for a long time been the official policy for any counter service places to not offer free refills. Unofficially they will refill it 9 out of 10 times. Basically, unless there is a needlessly strict, cheap, joy-hating manager around or the cast member is having a crappy day and taking it out on guests or something like that... you should still be able to get free refills.

It's been a few years since I worked there, so I can't promise its the same deal. But I'd assume it's basically the same policy as it always was.

If you didn't get a free refill, you probably just had some bad luck that day

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
We live in the land of excess. Eat, drink, live, spend $$ above our means , etc etc. Drinking unlimited refills was in my past. Switching to water works. It did for me.
So true.
Don't get me wrong I still enjoy soft drinks but I don't feel like I NEED them or NEED refills.
I can easily have water with nearly anything and just choose to have soda here and there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom