Breadbox review

71jason

Original Poster
Stopped by Breadbox last night, the sandwich shop that took over Cigarz.

Although "sandwich shop" is a bit of a misnomer. This isn't Subway, Quiznos, or even Earl of Sandwich. It's fast-casual, not quick-serve, with house-made potato chips and draft beer. The atmosphere is a bit odd, a mix the clean modernism of Vivo downstairs with indoor swinging lawn chairs and modern art displays of lunch boxes. Didn't really do a lot for me, honestly, but I'd be willing to overlook that if the food delivered.

Taste-wise, it did. Had a grilled cheese with ham and a Nutella shake--both were delicious. The three cheeses on my sandwich played well together. However, both were also obscenely overpriced. For $8, I expected a sandwich on Texas toast or something similar--what I got was on two Wonder-bread sized slices, with one, maybe two, Oscar Meyer size slices of ham. Ungarnished, not even cut in half. I saw some of the other sandwiches going out, they appeared about the size of the Earl, perhaps a little smaller and less "stuffed." But keep in mind, prices are one-third more than what the Earl gets. The Nutella shake was decadently chocolate, but over $5 for half the size of a regular shake at Steak & Shake or Johnny Rockets--served in plastic, not glass.

Service was friendly, but slow and spotty. Basic things like giving napkins with an order. More of a fast food mentality than fast casual.

Won't be going back--Panda Express and Moes are cheaper, or for just a couple bucks more I can get a great table service experience elsewhere in CityWalk (Vivo for example). Don't see this place making it to 2015.

Rider

I also ate there yesterday and I have to agree with your review.

The decor and seating are odd. You mentioned the swinging chairs but I also noticed that some of the stools by the windows were adjustable models with no backs... the kind you spin to move up and down.

Service was poor. They have RFID tags you place on the table, like Be Our Guest, (side note, the new Diagon Alley restaurant also uses the same system), but that didn't keep them from bringing me the wrong order. And I was only 1 of 2 groups in the whole place.

The menu is limited. Variations of Ham, turkey, roast beef, and grilled cheese. I ordered the one thing that sounded different... a beef brisket sandwich. It turned out to be tough and chewy and I'm pretty sure it was just roast beef and not brisket at all. I've had better sandwiches at my work cafeteria.

As I was sitting there eating my average food, I looked across the way and thought that I should have gone to the Burger King and got a Whopper instead. I won't be going back to Breadbox.

IAmFloridaBorn

It's weird. I was excited for the place but after going yesterday I was so turned off I decided not to even by anything. Menu wasn't interesting and overpriced.
Would have rather went to Publix and got a sub. But I hope no one feels like myself so that it can have success.

IAmFloridaBorn

I'd rather they fail and something decent go in there. I'm not a fan of tourist traps.
I see your point. At the same time what does that say about any new future concepts that might want to expand to Universal property?
Thats why in a way I hope they do succeed, to pave a way for new business.

Disneyhead'71

I see your point. At the same time what does that say about any new future concepts that might want to expand to Universal property?
Failed concept and demand are 2 different things.

The interesting thing is, Downtown at the Plaza Plaza, they opened a sandwich shop called Meltz. It's menu was very similar to Bread Box. It closed in 3 months.

Voice of Disney sanity

Stopped by Breadbox last night, the sandwich shop that took over Cigarz.

Although "sandwich shop" is a bit of a misnomer. This isn't Subway, Quiznos, or even Earl of Sandwich. It's fast-casual, not quick-serve, with house-made potato chips and draft beer. The atmosphere is a bit odd, a mix the clean modernism of Vivo downstairs with indoor swinging lawn chairs and modern art displays of lunch boxes. Didn't really do a lot for me, honestly, but I'd be willing to overlook that if the food delivered.

Taste-wise, it did. Had a grilled cheese with ham and a Nutella shake--both were delicious. The three cheeses on my sandwich played well together. However, both were also obscenely overpriced. For $8, I expected a sandwich on Texas toast or something similar--what I got was on two Wonder-bread sized slices, with one, maybe two, Oscar Meyer size slices of ham. Ungarnished, not even cut in half. I saw some of the other sandwiches going out, they appeared about the size of the Earl, perhaps a little smaller and less "stuffed." But keep in mind, prices are one-third more than what the Earl gets. The Nutella shake was decadently chocolate, but over $5 for half the size of a regular shake at Steak & Shake or Johnny Rockets--served in plastic, not glass.

Service was friendly, but slow and spotty. Basic things like giving napkins with an order. More of a fast food mentality than fast casual.

Won't be going back--Panda Express and Moes are cheaper, or for just a couple bucks more I can get a great table service experience elsewhere in CityWalk (Vivo for example). Don't see this place making it to 2015.
Why not pack a sack lunch and save even more cash?

JT3000

They need a place to expand. Nothing new can come unless the underachievers get the axe.

DonaldDoleWhip

The new Hot Dog place is pretty cool! They have seating as though you are in stadium. Pretty neat venue. Definitely check it out even if you don't buy anything!
I'll definitely try something - the Boston, LA, and chicken sausage all sound really good to me! The best part is that prices seem comparable to Casey's, but quality appears to be higher (and there's no question when it comes to variety). :)

As others have mentioned, they really should add a veggie dog option. But this is a great start!

IAmFloridaBorn

do you know if they have veggie dogs?
I'll definitely try something - the Boston, LA, and chicken sausage all sound really good to me! The best part is that prices seem comparable to Casey's, but quality appears to be higher (and there's no question when it comes to variety). :)

As others have mentioned, they really should add a veggie dog option. But this is a great start!

I think the initial opening didn't include Veggie dogs. But I do believe reading somewhere the possibility of veggie dogs will certainly come in the future.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom