Brazilian Tour Groups

bigrigross

Well crud, the more I read of this thread, the more I think about my upcoming trip in May. The cheer championship I guess is the weekend of the 6th. Just so happen i check in that day :banghead:. Disney springs it is......

Cmdr_Crimson

Well crud, the more I read of this thread, the more I think about my upcoming trip in May. The cheer championship I guess is the weekend of the 6th. Just so happen i check in that day :banghead:. Disney springs it is......

This is why I go in Jan/Feb...The majority of competitions were all moved from the parks to ESPNWWOS...When they use to use the Indy stunt show arena it was a nightmare to go there any time of the day....I'm surprised they are having this one out at World Showplace in Epcot...

NormC

"Desculpe, desculpe, nao fala ingles" as they cut the line and push people to join their friends at the front. That is worse than the chanting. I go to Brazil periodically and I know their English is better than my Portuguese.

DfromATX

I would think after the double whammy of World Cup and Olympics...and the sinking Brazilian economy...there'd be fewer, and smaller in size, groups in January and July.

We were there in July and we noticed much less tour groups than in past July/December trips. Actually, it wasn't bad at all! The groups were few and far between.

DfromATX

If I could live in Japan, I would. They are they most respectful and considerate people in the world.

I just read an article about a woman who travelled there and apparently they like to gawk, stare, and take pictures of women's boobies. Apparently, bigger ones are not very common there so it's quite a novelty. She even said that one man started recording her (as he was standing above her) while she was riding on a subway. That doesn't sound very respectful to me.

Goofyernmost

I just read an article about a woman who travelled there and apparently they like to gawk, stare, and take pictures of women's boobies. Apparently, bigger ones are not very common there so it's quite a novelty. She even said that one man started recording her (as he was standing above her) while she was riding on a subway. That doesn't sound very respectful to me.
As I was reading that, all I could think of was when Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain) had shown up in an obituary, his reply was ... "The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated". This might have happened, but, making it sound like every Japanese person in the country is standing there with camera in hand looking for shots is a little over the top.

DfromATX

As I was reading that, all I could think of was when Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain) had shown up in an obituary, his reply was ... "The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated". This might have happened, but, making it sound like every Japanese person in the country is standing there with camera in hand looking for **** shots is a little over the top.

Wait, so you're saying everything I read on the Internet isn't true? ;)
Who knows if it's true or not, but that's what the article said and other women chimed in with their similar experiences. I just thought it was funny when I read his comment and I remembered the article.

Yert3

I've probably seen hundreds of hours of Japanese culture on YouTube for I am very interested in it. I've not heard of that, but have seen many many examples of their politeness.

Goofyernmost

Doesn't matter if it's a cultural thing... It's rude...
There is a good chance that many of the cultural things that we do are considered rude by other countries. I believe our response would be tough cookies. We're Mericans and can do whatever we please, you on the other hand must tow the line. And whatever you do, don't have more fun then I do.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I've probably seen hundreds of hours of Japanese culture on YouTube for I am very interested in it. I've not heard of that, but have seen many many examples of their politeness.
I spent a week in Tokyo a few years ago after having read and seen many of the same things as you. In general, the politeness you perceive is reflected in the way they act. However, a few peculiarities that would be seen as impolite here, but are not seen that way there:

1. Women are expected to defer to men. For example:
  • waiters not asking the woman directly what she wants and being surprised when she spoke for herself.
  • In one business meeting I was in, men sat at the main table, women behind. Since one of my primary staff was a woman, I had her sit next to me at the table. While they didn't object, it was clear that this was off-putting to them.
  • After-hour socializing seems to be men at the bar being loud, with women in a table off to the side being quiet.
2. Hounding of celebrities. There was a theater near my hotel. Literally every day, there were more than a hundred people standing outside the theater (all women, as the men were working -- see above) waiting to hound the actors/actresses as they left. Consistent with my views of Japanese, they were waiting very calmly and orderly, but completely blocking any chance for the actor to avoid them.

3. Trains. There is no politeness on trains or train stations. They are crowded and people are in your space and you do not allow somebody else to go ahead, lest you get trampled by the people behind you.

4. Disneyland opening. They arrive well before the park opens. They fill the area outside the gates in very orderly lines. They wait patiently. When the gates open, they calmly walk through the line until they get past the turnstiles. And then all hell breaks loose as they run top speed to whatever attraction they are going to. God help somebody who needs to stop and look at a map or get his/her bearings. It was a madhouse. The rest of the day everybody polite and orderly, but that opening stampede was shocking.

All of these things are cultural differences, of course, not intentional rudeness. But that didn't make me feel any more OK with it when I was elbowed while boarding a train or shoved almost into a planter when I couldn't figure out which path led to Pooh's Hunny Hunt (which, by the way, is the best dark ride I've ever ridden).

DfromATX

I spent a week in Tokyo a few years ago after having read and seen many of the same things as you. In general, the politeness you perceive is reflected in the way they act. However, a few peculiarities that would be seen as impolite here, but are not seen that way there:

1. Women are expected to defer to men. For example:
  • waiters not asking the woman directly what she wants and being surprised when she spoke for herself.
  • In one business meeting I was in, men sat at the main table, women behind. Since one of my primary staff was a woman, I had her sit next to me at the table. While they didn't object, it was clear that this was off-putting to them.
  • After-hour socializing seems to be men at the bar being loud, with women in a table off to the side being quiet.
2. Hounding of celebrities. There was a theater near my hotel. Literally every day, there were more than a hundred people standing outside the theater (all women, as the men were working -- see above) waiting to hound the actors/actresses as they left. Consistent with my views of Japanese, they were waiting very calmly and orderly, but completely blocking any chance for the actor to avoid them.

3. Trains. There is no politeness on trains or train stations. They are crowded and people are in your space and you do not allow somebody else to go ahead, lest you get trampled by the people behind you.

4. Disneyland opening. They arrive well before the park opens. They fill the area outside the gates in very orderly lines. They wait patiently. When the gates open, they calmly walk through the line until they get past the turnstiles. And then all hell breaks loose as they run top speed to whatever attraction they are going to. God help somebody who needs to stop and look at a map or get his/her bearings. It was a madhouse. The rest of the day everybody polite and orderly, but that opening stampede was shocking.

All of these things are cultural differences, of course, not intentional rudeness. But that didn't make me feel any more OK with it when I was elbowed while boarding a train or shoved almost into a planter when I couldn't figure out which path led to Pooh's Hunny Hunt (which, by the way, is the best dark ride I've ever ridden).

That was interesting. What about what I posted earlier about big (average by American standards) being a novelty? Is there any truth to that or was it just nonsense?

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
That was interesting. What about what I posted earlier about big ***** (average by American standards) being a novelty? Is there any truth to that or was it just nonsense?
Don't know. I don't have them (being male and all) and don't recall seeing any ogling of others. That being said, there was much staring at anybody who was non-asian. Diversity is not common there, so a blond (man or woman) really sticks out. At Tokyo Disneyland, 95% of visitors are Japanese and virtually all the rest are Korean and Chinese. Western (or Middle Eastern) looks are noticeable and noticed.

snek

That was interesting. What about what I posted earlier about big ***** (average by American standards) being a novelty? Is there any truth to that or was it just nonsense?
I've seen it joked about plenty of times in manga/anime. Yea that's fiction but it's also usually a slice of life type thing. Like one comic had a Japanese girl call another one an American just cause she has big . Azumanga daioh if anyone knows it, so good haha.

DfromATX

I've seen it joked about plenty of times in manga/anime. Yea that's fiction but it's also usually a slice of life type thing. Like one comic had a Japanese girl call another one an American just cause she has big *****. Azumanga daioh if anyone knows it, so good haha.

My son loves anime, always has. He even named his cats Haku and Shisui from Naruto.

Yert3

There is a good chance that many of the cultural things that we do are considered rude by other countries. I believe our response would be tough cookies. We're Mericans and can do whatever we please, you on the other hand must tow the line. And whatever you do, don't have more fun then I do.
You're right. No one is saying something in our culture that isn't rude here is okay everywhere else. It's our responsibility to learn cultural difference before we travel and should expect others to do the same. Nobody wants a double standard.

The Empress Lilly

Record number of women groped on Tokyo's subway

By Colin Joyce in Tokyo

A record number of women are being groped on Tokyo's overcrowded subway, tripling over the last eight years.

Despite a campaign to stamp out the problem by introducing women-only carriages, last year saw 2,201 women molested.

Japanese police confirmed that the Saikyo and Chuo lines are the most hostile for women to travel on.

Both suffer from such extreme overcrowding during rush hours that women cannot escape gropers' attentions.

Stations on the two lines are several minutes apart, providing ample time for the predators to strike.

Related Articles
High school girls are the main targets and the lines they use are the ones favoured by molesters.

Various tactics have been used to stop the assaults, including putting plainclothes women police officers on to trains.

Most incidents take place during the morning rush hour and police have called for more women-only carriages.

Many Japanese women, brought up to defer to men, find it difficult to confront a molester. Some accept being groped as an unfortunate fact of life.

"You need guts to raise your voice and the trains are so tightly packed that you cannot move to resist," a 20-year-old woman told the Yomiuri newspaper.

Some Japanese men fear that in the crush they may be mistaken as the culprit and many make sure they hold something in both hands.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...-number-of-women-groped-on-Tokyos-subway.html

Where there is repressed emotion, as in Japan's public sphere, there is a repressed underbelly in need of eruption. Apart from metros, which I've never visited, one can make a rather fascinating dive into Japan's repressed psyche through its combination of violent sexual fantasy, manga, and love for very young schoolgirls.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom